Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Wrangler experience?

Ruger Wrangler experience?

Has anyone put enough rounds through a Wrangler to offer an opinion? Thinking about adding one to the stable for low-volume range/plinking/new shooter use.

Get it. For the cost it’s a hell of a grin.

Name:  7A5B4417-4698-4AC6-A190-A9BD0980DFA2.jpg
Views: 1044
Size:  69.5 KB

I have one from the early production run. It is notable for how hard the loading gate is to open and close. The way Ruger got to the price point was less metal polish and a Cerakote finish. My front sight had to be filed to get POA/POI for elevation.

I also have a convertible Single-Six with the adjustable rear sights as well a a Bisley Single-Six. I much prefer those two, mostly for the sights. That old-timey Wrangler sight is not the best match for my fifty-plus year-old eyes. That being said the Cerakote finish is nice. I figure Ruger will eventually offer the finish on the Single-Six models.

I would keep an eye out for a used Single-Six. I got mine for not much more than a Wrangler is new.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    I also have a convertible Single-Six with the adjustable rear sights as well a a Bisley Single-Six. I much prefer those two, mostly for the sights. That old-timey Wrangler sight is not the best match for my fifty-plus year-old eyes.
    I have personal experience with fifty-plus-year-old eyes. ;-). That’s what I needed to know. Thank you.

Site Supporter
    For $40 more than the cast zinc, safety enabled cowboy style guns, you're getting about double the value.

Site Supporter
    I would keep an eye out for a used Single-Six. I got mine for not much more than a Wrangler is new.
    Around here used Single-sixes go for twice or more what the Wrangler costs new. That said, short of being dragged behind a pickup truck, the used single-six will be in nearly new condition and last long enough for your great grandchildren to learn to shoot on it. We don't yet know that about the Wrangler.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Around here used Single-sixes go for twice or more what the Wrangler costs new. That said, short of being dragged behind a pickup truck, the used single-six will be in nearly new condition and last long enough for your great grandchildren to learn to shoot on it. We don't yet know that about the Wrangler.

Chris
    Not sure I agree that the Wrangler durability is an issue. The revolver is essentially a fixed-sight Single-Six with some material changes and less labor and time spent on finish. The grip frame, essentially an unstressed part other than the mainspring tension, is a zinc alloy. That is the biggest change from previous Ruger offerings. But the cylinder frame and ejector housings are aluminum, like some Single-Six and Blackhawk models. No issues there. I have seen nothing to suggest any other changes have been made, especially changes that would shorten its useful life.

Site Supporter
    Not sure I agree that the Wrangler durability is an issue. The revolver is essentially a fixed-sight Single-Six with some material changes and less labor and time spent on finish. The grip frame, essentially an unstressed part other than the mainspring tension, is a zinc alloy. That is the biggest change from previous Ruger offerings. But the cylinder frame and ejector housings are aluminum, like some Single-Six and Blackhawk models. No issues there. I have seen nothing to suggest any other changes have been made, especially changes that would shorten its useful life.
    I never said it was an issue, just that it's an unknown due to the newness. I have no doubt it'll be a long-lived gun, but there isn't yet a history of them lasting decades like the Single-Six.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Mine required filing the front sight to raise the p.o.i. I did not think that was a defect. If I were buying a single action 22 for a son or daughter, I would spend the extra coin on a Ruger Single-Six. If I wanted a high quality .22 revolver, I would buy the Single-Six. The adjustable sights are one reason. Another is difference in quality. Already having several quality .22's, I bought the Wrangler to have a cheap knock around revolver. I carry it fishing. When I am hunting or playing on rural acreage, it is somewhere in my vehicle. Sometimes when fishing, it rests inside a cheap holster on the bank next to my chair. I do think it is sturdy and will hold up for 1000's of rounds of shooting.

Site Supporter
    For those of you who had to file your front sight, how far off was the sight originally?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

User Tag List