Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Wrangler experience?

My wife has one and loves it. Shoots POA with CCI Mini Mag. I painted the front sight orange for her.

Site Supporter
    Mine was 2.5 inches low at 25 yards. This would not bother some people, but I use a 6 o'clock poi. I like mine, but eventually I will give this one away also. I strongly urge the serious shooter lacking a high quality .22 revolver to buy the Single-Six.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    For those of you who had to file your front sight, how far off was the sight originally?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    With CCI SV and Gemtech Subsonic, mine was about two inches low at twenty-five yards for a six-o'clock hold on an overcast day. I expected it to be more as fixing shooting high with a fixed-sight gun involves welding. I took 0.010" off the front sight. I later learned Ruger designed the sight for fifteen yards, not twenty-five yards.

I get some glare from the front sight in certain light. The glare combined with my eyes struggling to keep that sight in focus is what makes the Wrangler tough for shooting groups. I also struggle with keeping the blade the same height within the notch. It is not a target revolver. Trying to shoot it like one is going to be frustrating.

It is a lot of fun when shooting reactive targets like spinners or plates. I cannot recommend it for small-game hunting, but I am also the guy who put a Leupold 2X EER scope on a Single-Six for small game. For a plinker or tackle box gun, it is ideal.

Site Supporter
    Thanks for the replies. I have other .22 pistols and a .22 DA revolver, and am primarily interested in the Wrangler as a fun gun and as a teaching gun for teaching single action revolvers to my kids. While I am not looking for match-winning accuracy, I do want to be sure that the point of impact is close enough to the point of aim so that lack of accuracy or any difficulties with the sights will not detract from the fun factor. It seems to pass that test.

I have seen fixed sight revolvers with far worse correlation between point of aim and point of impact, which is the reason for my concern.

I got my boy one last year, and he's shot probably 700 rounds or so through it. It seems pretty spot on with bulk-pack Federal ammo. We've cleaned it every couple hundred rounds, and had no issues. He just loves the thing, and I've had him blazing Texas stars with it (although only occasionally knocking off plates, what with the much lower power factor )

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

I believe @Poconnor did a review that you'll find helpful:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....Ruger-Wrangler

Necro-bump but I stumbled across the news that the “Super Wrangler” is a thing.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    Necro-bump but I stumbled across the news that the “Super Wrangler” is a thing.
    I put money down on one yesterday. They just took it off the shipping pallet. NICS was down so I couldn’t take it home yet.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I put money down on one yesterday. They just took it off the shipping pallet. NICS was down so I couldn’t take it home yet.
    I’ll be interested to hear how it shakes out.

Wonder if Ruger is really reducing their other single action rimfire offerings outside of the Wrangler line.

Saw a rumor on FB that a CS rep told a guy that Vaquero production was essentially deadlined.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    I’ll be interested to hear how it shakes out.

Wonder if Ruger is really reducing their other single action rimfire offerings outside of the Wrangler line.

Saw a rumor on FB that a CS rep told a guy that Vaquero production was essentially deadlined.
    I hope that rumor is untrue .

User Tag List