Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: No more Purdue Pharma

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I don't know, but I doubt the folks at the clinic are coming up with these rules just to make the lives of their patients tougher. Due to the "pill mill" industry, it's likely an effort to keep on the right side of the law. Nobody likes that the good allergy drugs are controlled now, but lots of folks like the vastly reduced meth industry and nearly complete disappearance of meth labs in my state to a 20 year low point. Fewer then 20 kids were found living in conditions with a meth lab last year state wide vs some 3,000 at the peak. The Oxy crisis has been incredibly damaging to our society so I understand the accountability measures even if the patients feel that they are being "treated like a criminal".
    Can't speak for all 50, but NC's medical board has passed a lot of new regulations regarding opiates. Many more hoops for providers to jump through.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    But it bothers the hell out of me that's what we've come to, that people who do have a need for pain meds are being treated by criminals. And there is a part of me that hopes that those folks in the pain clinics who are so regarding their patients get to someday really find out how much fun and joy chronic pain brings to one's life.
    That’s what we were running into at the end - intense suspicion about her long term use for a chronic severe pain issue. They took away the ability for docs to send refills electronically, so every month we had to physically pick up a paper script and hand deliver it to the pharmacy. Her PCP wouldn’t touch prescribing it, only a pain management doc would talk to her. After her amputation she walked her dosage back over time despite initial resistance from the pain doc until she was at 20mg BID (from a high of 80mg BID plus a boatload of Norco for breakthrough pain) and was planning to drop to 10 BID. She was a former junkie in her teens and early 20s, and felt she knew how to deal with the addiction - and she was right. Too many people aren’t as strong as she was.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I don't know, but I doubt the folks at the clinic are coming up with these rules just to make the lives of their patients tougher. Due to the "pill mill" industry, it's likely an effort to keep on the right side of the law. Nobody likes that the good allergy drugs are controlled now, but lots of folks like the vastly reduced meth industry and nearly complete disappearance of meth labs in my state to a 20 year low point. Fewer then 20 kids were found living in conditions with a meth lab last year state wide vs some 3,000 at the peak. The Oxy crisis has been incredibly damaging to our society so I understand the accountability measures even if the patients feel that they are being "treated like a criminal".
    Yep, I've not worked a lab in over five years.

But, we're seeing more meth than ever before (and my state was generally #1 for labs). No more shake and bake labs, it's all crystal coming from Mexico. We're easily taking off 20-40 pounds at a time, regularly. I've never seen anything like it. The whole sudafed/pharmacy thing backfired bug time.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, I would like to see the heads of a few of the Sackler family on pikes outside of Purdue Pharma's HQ as a warning to the rest of the industry.

On the other hand, I have a good friend who is living with a bad spinal condition. Her life is pretty much filled with constant pain. It really limits what she can do. She is being seen by a pain management clinic; when she first was seen by them, she showed me the agreement that they said she had to sign. Pee tests, pill counts; they were going to treat her like one of the drug-abusing parents that I would have been appointed to represent in a child abuse/neglect custody case (back before I retired). She went along with it, as her primary care doctor nowadays won't prescribe almost anything (he's more of a medical direction booth "go see this guy", "go see that guy").

But it bothers the hell out of me that's what we've come to, that people who do have a need for pain meds are being treated by criminals. And there is a part of me that hopes that those folks in the pain clinics who are so regarding their patients get to someday really find out how much fun and joy chronic pain brings to one's life.
    How do you suggest that physicians monitor their patients to insure that they are using a controlled substance safely?
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post

But, we're seeing more meth than ever before (and my state was generally #1 for labs). No more shake and bake labs, it's all crystal coming from Mexico. We're easily taking off 20-40 pounds at a time, regularly. I've never seen anything like it. The whole sudafed/pharmacy thing backfired bug time.
    Slightly OT but your post reminded me of a conversation I recently had at work. Every single sample of meth we’ve sent to the lab for analysis has come back as about 95% pure(+/- a few %) because it all comes from Mexican labs. Possession with intent to distribute 50g or more of “pure” meth is punished at 10 years to Life (“A” level). Back when the federal trafficking statutes were written, and meth was made by bikers in chop shops, it probably took a decent amount of meth to get 50g of pure meth since the minimum for meth that isn’t pure to get to the same sentencing level is 500g. Basically everyone we encounter is holding A level meth. Maybe it’s about time to revisit some of the statutes and sentencing requirements.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar

I don't know that it backfired as much as was only a partial success. Meth heads still gonna meth, but we don't have the hazard of the labs in the community any longer. Border security might help, but nobody in power actually wants effective border security.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Slightly OT but your post reminded me of a conversation I recently had at work. Every single sample of meth we’ve sent to the lab for analysis has come back as about 95% pure(+/- a few %) because it all comes from Mexican labs. Possession with intent to distribute 50g or more of “pure” meth is punished at 10 years to Life (“A” level). Back when the federal trafficking statutes were written, and meth was made by bikers in chop shops, it probably took a decent amount of meth to get 50g of pure meth since the minimum for meth that isn’t pure to get to the same sentencing level is 500g. Basically everyone we encounter is holding A level meth. Maybe it’s about time to revisit some of the statutes and sentencing requirements.
    5g's will get you minimum mandatory sentencing, but we never see anyone with that little anymore, because it's become so cheap (though prices have gone up since the pandemic happened). Even with the small yield from shake and bake labs, we could normally wrap them up in a conspiracy and use historical weight to get them to the min man.

Can you get life anymore? I think the First Step Act did away with that. I know the minimum mandatory for life (with the prior drug/violent felonies) got changed to 25 years, not sure about the guideline range.. I used to have all that memorized, until it got changed a couple years ago.

I don't know that it backfired as much as was only a partial success. Meth heads still gonna meth, but we don't have the hazard of the labs in the community any longer. Border security might help, but nobody in power actually wants effective border security.
    I think it's a total backfire. Even when we were the number 1 state for labs, crack still reigned supreme. Now EVERYONE is getting meth from Atlanta and bringing it back, in huge amounts. The level of violence we see now with meth trafficking seems to have gone up exponentially as well.

EDIT: I was for the pseudoephedrine restrictions-- I never imagined that it would cause the shift to crystal that we've seen.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I think it's a total backfire. Even when we were the number 1 state for labs, crack still reigned supreme. Now EVERYONE is getting meth from Atlanta and bringing it back, in huge amounts. The level of violence we see now with meth trafficking seems to have gone up exponentially as well.

EDIT: I was for the pseudoephedrine restrictions-- I never imagined that it would cause the shift to crystal that we've seen.
    I don't see much meth at all locally. Heroin and/or Fentanyl seem to be the most common. Pills are less common as well. Heroin is hard to compete with price wise, pills are much more expensive to obtain. I don't know about the more rural areas currently but Opana was the big issue after meth died down. Which did lead to it's own issues, due to needle sharing.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    5g's will get you minimum mandatory sentencing, but we never see anyone with that little anymore, because it's become so cheap (though prices have gone up since the pandemic happened). Even with the small yield from shake and bake labs, we could normally wrap them up in a conspiracy and use historical weight to get them to the min man.

Can you get life anymore? I think the First Step Act did away with that. I know the minimum mandatory for life (with the prior drug/violent felonies) got changed to 25 years, not sure about the guideline range.. I used to have all that memorized, until it got changed a couple years ago.

One other thing that this slight drift made me think of is that the legalization of weed has probably forced the narcos to diversify their product lines as well. Weed isn’t in as much demand, fine call up some factories in China and get your meth cooking on.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

If you want to cut down on criminal use of narcotics, you just gotta work on decriminalization! We're cutting edge:

"In May of 2019, a bill was signed into law by Colorado state governor Jared Polis that effectively reclassifies personal possession of schedule 1 and 2 narcotics from a felony to a misdemeanor. The bill, known as HB19-1263, officially went into effect at the beginning of March, 2020.

HB19-1263 renders the punishment for personal possession of controlled substances like DMT, LSD, cocaine, and more much less severe. Coloradans can no longer be jailed for these offenses (up to the limit of four grams), and penalties and fines for that possession are reduced significantly."

https://edm.com/news/schedule-1-2-na...nized-colorado

Of course they don't talk about the full list of schedule I & II drugs
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

User Tag List