Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: No more Purdue Pharma

No more Purdue Pharma

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/21/busin...lea/index.html

New York (CNN Business)Purdue Pharma, the maker of OxyContin, has agreed to plead guilty to three federal criminal charges for its role in creating the nation's opioid crisis and will pay more than $8 billion and close down the company.
    ......(more at link above)

Mixed emotions about this. Oxy allowed my late wife to have some quality of life for the last decade of her existence, but so many other people have been damaged. I personally put the blame on the prescribing doctors, but Perdue really strongarmed them and misrepresented the addiction issues.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Wow.

I still have some of those from the last time I had a kidney stone.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Mixed emotions about this. Oxy allowed my late wife to have some quality of life for the last decade of her existence, but so many other people have been damaged. I personally put the blame on the prescribing doctors, but Perdue really strongarmed them and misrepresented the addiction issues.

So sorry for your loss.

Absolutely no doubt that thousands if not millions of patients benefited from these type of drugs over the years.

I think there's probably plenty of blame to go around as to what caused the current crisis. We've talked about it on this forum before. On my first year of internship, residency, that was the time when the hospital and Training Systems bought into the whole idea of pain control at any cost. They hired specific nurses who did nothing but work with pain control and educate us as to its importance. They certainly did minimize any potential problems. They said addiction either didn't happen at all, or if it did it wasn't that big of a deal. The pain control was worth it.

How much blame goes to the hospital system, versus The Physicians, versus the pharmaceutical companies, I can't say.

I was a bit surprised to see that they are dissolving the company and replacing it with a government-run company.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I'm in the same boat. My dad went through several back and neck surgeries and lived with chronic pain for a long time. Opioids in general and Oxycontin specifically were the one thing that helped make the pain manageable. But I also lost a step-brother to an opioid overdose. The nation's opioid epidemic is a tragedy, but I don't know that this is the solution.

In 2016 i had surgery after a bad skiing accident and they sent me home with some pills.

Not gonna lie I chucked them when I got home and just took Tylenols. Didn't want to take any risk of dependence...

Quote Originally Posted by shootist26 View Post
    In 2016 i had surgery after a bad skiing accident and they sent me home with some pills.

Not gonna lie I chucked them when I got home and just took Tylenols. Didn't want to take any risk of dependence...
    I still have whatever opioid they handed me at the emergency room four years ago when I got my hands stitched up. Not sure why I've held on to 'em, but I guess if I ever need a buzz bad enough...
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I still have whatever opioid they handed me at the emergency room four years ago when I got my hands stitched up. Not sure why I've held on to 'em, but I guess if I ever need a buzz bad enough...
    Just wait two weeks, you might find a need then

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Or if you need some cash. It's not like you don't know how to sell drugs.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Just wait two weeks, you might find a need then
    I was avoiding saying just that...
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List