Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 51 to 60 of 60

Thread: HELLCAT returned: Warranty issue still unclear. to me

  1. #51
    Lowly Production C-Class olstyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Minnesota
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise_A View Post
    No offense (HA HA) but generally referring to guns as weapons makes me cringe.
    I agree that it sounds mildly weird, and the context of your story about your weird coworker definitely makes it clear why you feel the way you do, but guns are more unequivocally "weapons" than any other modern piece of technology which individuals can purchase.

  2. #52
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    S.E. Mich.
    Ok,.. so you all know I'm a noob as a first time gun owner. So since I've absolutely NO idea what to expect to get back trying to sell my Hellcat,.. I will just flat out put it out here,..

    I paid $580 for the pistol,.. I Over paid ($40) for the second 13 round OEM Springfield mag,.. That's $620 all in for the pistol & mags! I imagine I will be the one to set the consignment price for the gun shop to try and sell it. So Im wondering what sort of discount or mark down there is on a New, used pistol? (...I only know used snowboard equipment depreciations!) 😂😉

    The pistol appears to be fixed & working 100% now,.. (I know that may well be inaccurate, but to "My" knowlege it istrue!). It has had fewer than 1,000 rounds put thru it. Not sure how the shop will feel about splitting the extra mag or Laser sight from the price of the "Kit" or if they even bother with trying to sell pistol accessories separately,.. But the Viridian Laser is still in the unopened, sealed packaging so I can still offer it for sale as New/Unused! I can probably sell it separately and expect to get 75/85% of its retail price of $132!

    Can I get an opinion on what you folks feel is a reasonable ASK for the pistol & mag at $620 retail? I know I can always start high(ish) and come down,.. but I don't know what the "Fuck You, that's Ridiculous" price is for a used pistol and I don't want to start there! Lol

    Thanks!


    And @Wise_A. I understand where you're coming from. I guess for me it's a normal description of an item I purchased to function Specifically AS a weapon to protect myself or my loved ones from someone else WITH a weapon. But yeah,.. I fully understand that particular "Brain Itch" from certain words or phrases!! No worries! 😂👍🏻
    Last edited by Chomps; 10-25-2020 at 09:37 AM.

  3. #53
    King of Craft Clusterfrack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Redneck wonderland
    Sorry for the tangent, but I wish more people called guns weapons. In the past month of USPSA matches we’ve had 2 ND gunshots resulting in serious injuries, and a PCC pointed at the ROs chest, with finger on trigger.

    This is what happens when people treat guns as sports equipment instead of WEAPONS.
    "BJJ is sort of like nonconsensual yoga"
    "You don’t really graduate from certain problems or certain things… like you always have to work on trigger control and pulling the trigger straight. " --Ben Stoeger 1/24/2018

  4. #54
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Southern NH
    Do yourself a favor and sell the extra mag and laser yourself, don’t get the shop involved at all. For the gun, I think I’d hold out for a $450 sale price in the current market.
    Ken

    BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

  5. #55
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    South Dakota
    @Chomps you're in Michigan?

    You could probably more it on Armslist: https://www.armslist.com/classifieds...7&sellertype=1

  6. #56
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    In the desert, looking for water.
    @Wise_A

    I disagree with your argument, but in light of your hippie coworker, I certainly understand it. However:

    They are weapons. Terminology hang ups are fine, everybody has them about something. But I really don’t think calling a firearm a weapon is in any way inaccurate. It’s not a tennis racquet or golf club or a hammer. It is a weapon.

    It’s interesting: some tennis coaches talk about specific techniques or strategies as being “weapons” when an athlete has perfected it. Some even call the player’s opponent “the enemy” and I just have to choke back laughing in their faces. It’s a freaking rubber ball getting batted over a net! I mean, it’s a fun game and I love coaching the high school team, but it isn’t warfare, there are no weapons and no enemies. If I worked at the other school, I would love and serve those kids the same as the ones I work with.

    But a rifle or a pistol or a shotgun? Those *are*, by definition, weapons. Use makes them offensive, defensive, hunting, target, or whatever, but underneath it all they are weapons, a part of the “keep and bear arms” that go along with swords, spears, bows and arrows, and so on.

    Sure, they are tools as well, and useful for a variety of things besides offensively killing people, but insisting that they aren’t weapons because they are also those other things is disingenuous.

  7. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    @Wise_A

    I disagree with your argument, but in light of your hippie coworker, I certainly understand it. However:

    They are weapons. Terminology hang ups are fine, everybody has them about something. But I really don’t think calling a firearm a weapon is in any way inaccurate. It’s not a tennis racquet or golf club or a hammer. It is a weapon.

    It’s interesting: some tennis coaches talk about specific techniques or strategies as being “weapons” when an athlete has perfected it. Some even call the player’s opponent “the enemy” and I just have to choke back laughing in their faces. It’s a freaking rubber ball getting batted over a net! I mean, it’s a fun game and I love coaching the high school team, but it isn’t warfare, there are no weapons and no enemies. If I worked at the other school, I would love and serve those kids the same as the ones I work with.

    But a rifle or a pistol or a shotgun? Those *are*, by definition, weapons. Use makes them offensive, defensive, hunting, target, or whatever, but underneath it all they are weapons, a part of the “keep and bear arms” that go along with swords, spears, bows and arrows, and so on.

    Sure, they are tools as well, and useful for a variety of things besides offensively killing people, but insisting that they aren’t weapons because they are also those other things is disingenuous.
    I do not disagree with your point of view, but allow me to offer an alternate viewpoint. A hammer or a chainsaw is a tool, but depending upon how it’s used, it certainly can be a weapon. A brick or fencing ép´ee is construction material or a sporting equipment item, but of course either can be a weapon, too.

    Like those items, firearms and bows are tools which can be used for purely sporting purposes, and can also be employed as weapons. The definition is contextual.

    I say this because I am involved in an Olympic sport which uses one of those tools - yes, that tool can be a weapon, if employed in that manner, but the distinction is pretty important when you’re carrying one into the field of play at a World Championship. People involved in the sporting use of these tools therefore tend to consciously and actively avoid use of the term “weapon” when referring to these items.

    Again, context. It is the intended use which defines whether something is a weapon. The tool is arguably immaterial to the intent.

    Similarly, having a strong competition mental game may be a tool, which can also be used as a weapon. That blurry line is why some coaches use the term, intentionally.
    Last edited by Archer1440; 10-25-2020 at 02:19 PM.

  8. #58
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    SATX
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomps View Post
    ...But the Viridian Laser is still in the unopened, sealed packaging so I can still offer it for sale as New/Unused! I can probably sell it separately and expect to get 75/85% of its retail price of $132!...

    Since the laser is still NIB, could you return it for a refund?

  9. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Sorry for the tangent, but I wish more people called guns weapons. In the past month of USPSA matches we’ve had 2 ND gunshots resulting in serious injuries, and a PCC pointed at the ROs chest, with finger on trigger.

    This is what happens when people treat guns as sports equipment instead of WEAPONS.
    Over the years I have had 2 friends accidently shoot themselves in the leg with a handgun. Both recovered 100%. Both were lucky those brain freezes didn't turn out worse than it did.

  10. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomps View Post
    I paid $580 for the pistol,.. I Over paid ($40) for the second 13 round OEM Springfield mag,.. That's $620 all in for the pistol & mags! I imagine I will be the one to set the consignment price for the gun shop to try and sell it. So Im wondering what sort of discount or mark down there is on a New, used pistol? (...I only know used snowboard equipment depreciations!) 😂😉
    A good place to start for any gun still in production is what you can buy them for new. Sportsmans Guide is currently listing the Hellcat at $499 with an 11-round and 13-round magazine and no FFL fee, so figure out what it would cost to get that gun to that shop. Then look at what new Hellcats are going for in the shop where you're selling, if you decide to go the consignment route. Presuming that the shipping on the SG gun isn't too bad and there's no outrageous fee from the FFL for receiving a gun bought elsewhere, and that demand in your area is as crazy as everywhere else, I would look at $475 or $480 with your additional magazine. In regular times, that number would be closer to $400.

    It's a punch in the dick to be sure, but a cheap lesson. Down the road, you might consider recouping your cost elsewhere. Pick a quality maker that's been in business for awhile, and get a feel for how much some common older models go for. For instance, Smith and Wesson is a great brand to look at for this--for instance, you could focus just on looking for 640 J-frames and Model 14 K-frames. Then go trolling the used gun section of your local shops. If you see an example going for way less than what it should, buy it--even if you have no interest in the gun. If you've paid far less than what you can get out of it, you're getting paid to own and experience the gun. I've had a lot of fun with guns purchased in the $225-$275 range. The most important thing to remember is to stick with quality, mainstream brands for this, as there's always a bit of a "floor" on the price. Nobody's going to be interested in paying $75 for the used potmetal revolver you got for fifty bucks.

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •