Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HELLCAT returned: Warranty issue still unclear. to me

HELLCAT returned: Warranty issue still unclear. to me

If you're familiar with my post concerning the Misfeed issue in THIS thread,.... My Springfield Armory Hellcat is back from warranty. I got the email telling me it had shipped,.. but Springfield never contacted me to explain what the was malfunctioning or what the actual issue with the weapon was.

So I emailed their cs rep and asked her to please give me some information on what if anything was broken or fixed with the weapon and her reply was as follows,....

"...I spoke with our repair department and the information I was given was that the technician did a full inspection of the firearm, polished the chamber and then tested over 50 rounds with no malfunctions."

Now I don't know the first thing about handgun manufacture or repair, so I'm still more than a little confused as to what was done that would "Fix" the misfeed, misfire, and failure to return to Battery issues I was experiencing!

Polishing the chamber,...? Does anyone here with more knowledge than I have about these things,.. Can you enlighten me as to what, if anything that does for the issues I experienced?

TIA!

-edit-
    I probably won't get a chance to check the weapon out to see if it is fixed until this weekend.

(BTW,... passed my CPL training, turned in the certification & application & got my ass fingerprinted,... again! Now I wait 15-45 days for my License!)
    Last edited by Chomps; 10-21-2020 at 11:43 AM.

Friendly advice.....

Yours is probably the only hellcat thread on this entire form.....

Cut your losses on testing with hard to get ammo and buy a reputable firearm.....

you'll spend more money on testing and sending it back and forth than you will on trading it in or selling it and buying something else.....

If it had a rough chamber it could lead to malfunctions, especially misfeeds and failures to return to battery. And if the pistol was slightly out of battery, that can lead to misfires.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    Friendly advice.....

Yours is probably the only hellcat thread on this entire form.....

Cut your losses on testing with hard to get ammo and buy a reputable firearm.....

you'll spend more money on testing and sending it back and forth than you will on trading it in or selling it and buying something else.....
    He already bought a Glock to replace this.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by Chomps View Post
    "...I spoke with our repair department and the information I was given was that the technician did a full inspection of the firearm, polished the chamber and then tested over 50 rounds with no malfunctions."
    Translation: we have no idea what's wrong, but hopefully this will make the customer happy. Our customers typically don't shoot guns very often, and like bright shiny things, so a polished chamber should do the trick.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Translation: we have no idea what's wrong, but hopefully this will make the customer happy. Our customers typically don't shoot guns very often, and like bright shiny things, so a polished chamber should do the trick.
    At least they didn't tell him to stop limp-wristing...

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Nowhere in that description of what was done does it say anything about attempting to replicate the issue, either - they just went straight to making irreversible physical changes to the gun. Seems pretty sketchy to me. Maybe the IT world is different, but when a problem comes to my attention at work, I try to understand what the issue actually is before making changes to address it...

Many times with little guns, everything has to be close to perfect for them to operate or you can have big problems.

Timing, parts fit and so on. Remember how the P365 started out?

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Nowhere in that description of what was done does it say anything about attempting to replicate the issue, either - they just went straight to making irreversible physical changes to the gun. Seems pretty sketchy to me. Maybe the IT world is different, but when a problem comes to my attention at work, I try to understand what the issue actually is before making changes to address it...

That is EXACTLY how I felt when I asked for an update on the warranty issue & the only reply I got was an email with the tracking number for the return of the firearm and an invoice. The invoice did list the chamber polishing. But not a word explaining that they "did or didn't " find anything wrong,.. whether or not as you said that they were or were NOT able to replicate the issue,...

This was the very reason I contacted them again and asked for some details.

So if someone can correct me if Im mistaken in my understanding of the issue as it stands right now,..

If the PRE polished barrel was too rough,.. it may have been impeding the chambering of the next round? Slowing down or effecting the cycling of yhe slide? Sort of like when the range guy explained about being careful not to "Ride the slide" with ones grip? (...I dont ride the slide btw!)

And so Springfield is saying that by polishing and smoothing out an apparently too rough chamber, this should fix the problem of misfeeding and not returning to battery by allowing the round to chamber without anything slowing the cycling or impeding the slide?

Do I understand that correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    He already bought a Glock to replace this.
    Then it's time to move the Hellcat down the road while he can get top dollar.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

User Tag List