Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Coast Guard adopts Glock 19 Gen5 MOS

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    In all seriousness, someone I knew in high school went into the Coast Guard. From what he told me, they see a significant amount of action against drug smugglers.
    Depending on location they do a lot of VBSS (Visit Board Search Seizure). Pistols are the most practical choice for the VBSS and as primarily LE the USCG wears / uses pistols a lot. More than the military.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I am much more curious as to what optic they would use.

What is that joke about having to be tall in the Coast Guard, so you can wade to shore. Not sure if that means a sealed emitter?
    We did a morale event where groups of us swam across the point in the ocean where the international date line and the equator meet. I had a bad moment where I realized I couldn't stand up like usual, but I hardened up and drove on.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    In all seriousness, someone I knew in high school went into the Coast Guard. From what he told me, they see a significant amount of action against drug smugglers.
    When people ask me what I did in the Coast Guard I always enjoy saying "I took people's cocaine away from them."

Also, USCG also had a pretty much continuous presence in the Persian Gulf since 1990. Usually this was in the form of Law Enforcement Detachments (LEDETS) onboard US Navy or even allied naval vessels doing VBSS in support of UN sanctions. They also participated in manning GOPLATS after the SEALS took them, and participated in one assault on an island to seize a weapons cache. Since the 2003 war, USCG Patrol Forces Southwest Asia (PATFORSWA) has kept 6 patrol boats and assorted support staff in the PG. They are trained to VBSS level 2, to do non-compliant boardings.

Don't forget pirates. When things were sporty around the Horn of Africa, Coast Guard MSRT guys got to deploy and I was hugely jealous.

I've been out so long I don't have any inside sources any more. But if I were to guess, I'd suppose that the Maritime Security Response Team (MSRT) would get new guns first, followed by the MSST (Maritime Safety and Security Team), Port Security Teams, LEDETS, and various other "special" people. From there they'd likely go to the National Security cutters, the rest of the cutters with a primary law enforcement mission, and take a long damn while to trickle down to things like buoy tenders and the Marine Safety Offices that actually have a gun locker.

The migration of any red dots that adopted would likely be similar.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Should someone who flies in coastal Alaska be making Coastguard jokes ?
    We love the Coast Guard, since they are likely first responders for many AK crashes. Always say it is better to crash in the morning, so they don’t need NVG assist at that time of day.

They would routinely run a “training” mission to our town every Friday afternoon, and stagger off in the Dauphin back to Kodiak, full of our micro brewery’s product. We would always ask if we didn’t recognize them from the movie, the Guardian. Love those guys!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

There is a link to the RFI somewhere in the CBP adopts Glock thread.
    I just looked through that whole thread and didn’t see it. I’ll keep looking.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I just looked through that whole thread and didn’t see it. I’ll keep looking.
    @Tokarev @5pins

CG is always rescuing someone around here. Mostly because just about everyone has a boat and can't read a weather forecast.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    CBP has asked industry for an RDS that mounts directly to the MOS cut and allows use of standard height sights as BUIS. Between CBP/USBP, USSS and USCG there will some be well over 100,000 MOS Glocks in service with DHS. If you’re buying 100k of something vendors tend to accommodate you.
    I just don’t see Glock’s generic “FU you’ll buy it anyway” MOS cut being a mounting footprint that leads to better dots since the only way to direct mount an optic to that cut is two screws straight down through the optic or captured screws that are accessed on the side of the sight body. It also lacks any kind of additional recoil lugs or index points.

Hopefully the industry will prove me wrong.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    I just don’t see Glock’s generic “FU you’ll buy it anyway” MOS cut being a mounting footprint that leads to better dots since the only way to direct mount an optic to that cut is two screws straight down through the optic or captured screws that are accessed on the side of the sight body. It also lacks any kind of additional recoil lugs or index points.

Hopefully the industry will prove me wrong.
    Nobody said "better."

But as the Soviets used to say quantity has a quality all it's own.

If you are willing to pony up for 100K guns and matching optics they'll make what you want. Along those lines, Glock makes direct mount RMR cut guns for the EU market. If CBP wanted that, Glock would have supplied it.

No lugs but an MOS direct mount could have front and rear index points by filling the entire MOS cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    CG is always rescuing someone around here. Mostly because just about everyone has a boat and can't read a weather forecast.
    There's a famous Coast Guard quote about that: "I joined the Coast Guard because it seemed like we were the only military service operating even when we weren’t fighting in some war. But then you realize we are at war, against an army of dipshits with boats.”

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    There's a famous Coast Guard quote about that: "I joined the Coast Guard because it seemed like we were the only military service operating even when we weren’t fighting in some war. But then you realize we are at war, against an army of dipshits with boats.”
    And fricking submarines.
    https://youtu.be/Da4SqKTXoLg

User Tag List