Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Coast Guard adopts Glock 19 Gen5 MOS

"You have to go out. You don't have to come back."

Coasties are damn fine people! A very long time ago, I was a flight paramedic out of Houston. Many a time the only thing flying out to an oil platform in the Gulf was us or the Coasties.

Their rescue swimmers and pilots make a clanking sound when they walk. And it's not their dog tags making that noise, either.

A bunch of the gunner's mates I met were either former Marine or former Army M-60 gunners. They still wanted to serve, but were sick of the BS.

Really, really good folks. I was happy to buy them beers.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    There's a famous Coast Guard quote about that: "I joined the Coast Guard because it seemed like we were the only military service operating even when we weren’t fighting in some war. But then you realize we are at war, against an army of dipshits with boats.”
    Indeed. But it's not only boats. During the no-name storm that The Perfect Storm was written about, there were dipshits wind surfing. Wind surfing in that mess. Can you imagine? One of our unofficial mottos is "US Coast Guard, interfering with natural selection since 1790."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by roboster2013 View Post
    "The USCG is part of DHS which can be activated to deploy with the Navy as part of the Naval reserves." Actually, we don't deploy as part of the Naval Reserves. Our LEDETS do deploy on Naval vessels, but remain active duty USCG. The only time the CG operates as a a part of the Department of The Navy, is during a declared war. The last time that happened was WWII. Having said that, when I was still on active duty, the Coast Guard cutter I was on did WESTPAC99 with the Connie Battle Group. That was fun.

Now back to the original discussion. I thought the switch to the G19G5 was interesting as well. But I do understand it. When you are underway, having a firearm that is easy to maintain and service is a definite plus.

-Retired USCG Chief.
    I don't doubt you, that was based on both co-workers and former students in USCG Port security units mentioned deploying with the Navy and having to use Beretta 92s vs the 229DAK .40 because they were "part of the Navy."

The G19 adoption tracks the prior adoption of the SIG P229DAK vs the Beretta 92.

If I got soaked in Salt water, I would have much more confidence detail stripping a Glock than flushing out M18 sub assemblies.

My understanding is the "Federal Air Guards" are replacing their P229 357s with some form of Glock 19 Gen 5 as well, so most of DHS LE (except ICE and FPS) will be using Gen 5 Glocks.
    Last edited by HCM; 11-28-2020 at 06:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I don't doubt you, that was based on both co-workers and former students in USCG Port security units mentioned deploying with the Navy and having to use Beretta 92s vs the 229DAK .40 because they were "part of the Navy."

The G19 adoption tracks the prior adoption of the SIG P229DAK vs the Beretta 92.

If I got soaked in Salt water, I would have much more confidence detail stripping a Glock than flushing out M18 sub assemblies.
    I bet. I can't imagine the nightmares involved with a saltwater soaked M18, but I'll bet it wouldn't be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    "You have to go out. You don't have to come back."

Coasties are damn fine people! A very long time ago, I was a flight paramedic out of Houston. Many a time the only thing flying out to an oil platform in the Gulf was us or the Coasties.

Their rescue swimmers and pilots make a clanking sound when they walk. And it's not their dog tags making that noise, either.

A bunch of the gunner's mates I met were either former Marine or former Army M-60 gunners. They still wanted to serve, but were sick of the BS.

Really, really good folks. I was happy to buy them beers.
    Yes, we regularly were flying into the weather everyone else was running away from. Well, at least the sane folks were running away from it. If we were going into it, there was at least one who didn't get the memo.

A friend did a spell as a fisheries cop in Alaska waters.
    He was issued a uniform parka and as I recall, a S&W 645.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter

My understanding is the "Federal Air Guards" are replacing their P229 357s with some form of Glock 19 Gen 5 as well, so most of DHS LE (except ICE and FPS) will be using Gen 5 Glocks.

May have missed it, but what did FPS go to? Sig?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    May have missed it, but what did FPS go to? Sig?
    They had 5946's when they were part of GSA then transitioned to P229DAKs in .357 SIG followed by P229DAKs in .40.

After being split off from ICE, but remaining in DHS, they opened up their POW list and a bunch of guys were going to POW G23s in lieu of the DAK. I don't know if they have changed their issued gun. They are a pretty small agency, relying heavily on contract guard / "special officers." all of whom seem to have Gen 3 G22's.

Along those lines, Glock makes direct mount RMR cut guns for the EU market. If CBP wanted that, Glock would have supplied it.
    Found out today that the direct-mount Glocks are available to LE in the US. Our highway patrol is going to Glock 17 MOS's cut for the Leupold footprint.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    Found out today that the direct-mount Glocks are available to LE in the US. Our highway patrol is going to Glock 17 MOS's cut for the Leupold footprint.
    LE Agencies or Blue label individuals ?

I believe the direct cut RMR version is the MOS 2 and the DPP version is the MOS 3.

User Tag List