Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Coast Guard adopts Glock 19 Gen5 MOS

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!

Coast Guard adopts Glock 19 Gen5 MOS

Sorry if I am late to the party on this one, but I was surprised by this.

Not trying to fan the Sig/Glock thing but I thought that Sig announced that the Coast Guard ordered from them a year or so ago?

While I understand how the Coast Guard ordered Glocks, it is an interesting development non the less.

For reference:

https://www.shootingsportsretailer.c...s-holster-line

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ECVMatt View Post
    Sorry if I am late to the party on this one, but I was surprised by this.

Not trying to fan the Sig/Glock thing but I thought that Sig announced that the Coast Guard ordered from them a year or so ago?

While I understand how the Coast Guard ordered Glocks, it is an interesting development non the less.

For reference:

https://www.shootingsportsretailer.c...s-holster-line
    USCG going Glock off the CBP contract was announced a few weeks ago but is just now getting sone press.

More detailed article : https://www.google.com/amp/s/taskand...istol-contract

USCG has had to maintain both the .40 cal 229s for domestic use and beretta 92s in 9mm for use when deployed with the Navy. A couple years ago they blunt a batch of P229s in 9mm to supplement or replace the 92s.

SOFREP has a story a couple years ago claiming USCG was going M18 but it’s SOFREP so...

https://sofrep.com/gear/us-coast-gua...un-wins-again/

Will they be running a RDS?

For that matter, does the Army, Navy, etc use RDS's on their M17/M18's?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Will they be running a RDS?

For that matter, does the Army, Navy, etc use RDS's on their M17/M18's?
    Eventually all DHS agencies will be. At least that is the strategic plan. The USCG is part of DHS which can be activated to deploy with the Navy as part of the Naval reserves. As part of DHS USCG exercised their option to buy pistols off the CBP contract just like they did in 2005 buying off the ICE contract.

Future proofing durable equipment is just common sense for any institutional user.

The last batch of DHS pistols were in service for 15 years. Just because they aren’t running an RDS tomorrow doesn’t mean they won’t in 5 or 10 years.

CBP has asked industry for an RDS that mounts directly to the MOS cut and allows use of standard height sights as BUIS. Between CBP/USBP, USSS and USCG there will some be well over 100,000 MOS Glocks in service with DHS. If you’re buying 100k of something vendors tend to accommodate you.

Re military use- regular joes ? No. Not yet. I don’t think the regular Navy even has M18s yet.

Right now RDS are standard for SOCOM / USASOC units running G19 MOS guns with the tan RMR type 2 selected as the HRS. Other units are running Glocks with Leupold Delta Points but some are going to an X carry version of the M18 sans thumb safety. NSW is supposedly running both MOS Glocks and SIGs that look like X5s with an RDS. Like a lot of things it will vary depending on what a team and/or their leadership want.

Many of these units were using aftermarket slides such as the Unity RDS slides before the MOS guns were a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    CBP has asked industry for an RDS that mounts directly to the MOS cut and allows use of standard height sights as BUIS.
    Take my money!
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Take my money!
    If you were going to buy more than 100,000 units maybe you can get to the head of the line.

I am much more curious as to what optic they would use.

What is that joke about having to be tall in the Coast Guard, so you can wade to shore. Not sure if that means a sealed emitter?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I am much more curious as to what optic they would use.

What is that joke about having to be tall in the Coast Guard, so you can wade to shore. Not sure if that means a sealed emitter?
    Should someone who flies in coastal Alaska be making Coastguard jokes ?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Take my money!
    There is a link to the RFI somewhere in the CBP adopts Glock thread.

Site Supporter
    In all seriousness, someone I knew in high school went into the Coast Guard. From what he told me, they see a significant amount of action against drug smugglers.

User Tag List