Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Coast Guard adopts Glock 19 Gen5 MOS

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    USCG going Glock off the CBP contract was announced a few weeks ago but is just now getting sone press.

More detailed article : https://www.google.com/amp/s/taskand...istol-contract

USCG has had to maintain both the .40 cal 229s for domestic use and beretta 92s in 9mm for use when deployed with the Navy. A couple years ago they blunt a batch of P229s in 9mm to supplement or replace the 92s.

SOFREP has a story a couple years ago claiming USCG was going M18 but it’s SOFREP so...

https://sofrep.com/gear/us-coast-gua...un-wins-again/
    I always appreciate and value your knowledge on this stuff, it’s truly awesome!

I have no clue how the procurements happen, but would of hoped USCG would get a special run of g19s MOS that were internally coated with NP3+ and have enhanced cocking serrations for wet and salty environments.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by EVP View Post
    I always appreciate and value your knowledge on this stuff, it’s truly awesome!

I have no clue how the procurements happen, but would of hoped USCG would get a special run of g19s MOS that were internally coated with NP3+ and have enhanced cocking serrations for wet and salty environments.
    That kind of defeats the purpose of buying "Pistol, 9mm, 1 each" nor is it necessary.

If they wanted special internal coatings they could have bought the 19M with nDLC coated internals off the DOJ/FBI contract.

USCG did their own testing like USSS did and after choosing Glock, simply bought off the existing contract because it saves time and money.

Site Supporter
    There is a link to the RFI somewhere in the CBP adopts Glock thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I just looked through that whole thread and didn’t see it. I’ll keep looking.
    It's not in that thread. I'm searching the "US Secret Service Adopts Glock 19 MOS Gen5 in 9mm" thread now.

Edit: Not there either.
    Last edited by RAM Engineer; 10-23-2020 at 09:56 AM.

[QUOTE=RAM Engineer;1131042]It's not in that thread. I'm searching the "US Secret Service Adopts Glock 19 MOS Gen5 in 9mm" thread now.

[/url]http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...red-dot-sights

Think this is what your looking for.

Jason

[QUOTE=Ndbbm;1131093]
    Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    It's not in that thread. I'm searching the "US Secret Service Adopts Glock 19 MOS Gen5 in 9mm" thread now.

Jason
    That’s it - thank you!
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    [QUOTE=Ndbbm;1131093]
    Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post

Jason
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by EVP View Post

Doesn’t seem to be a big issue, they didn’t worry about it before. Plucked this from a P226 thread where the coatings of the MK25 were brought up.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    As a FWIW regarding the corrosion-resistant internals of the Mk25, I'd simply point out that the US Coast Guard issues more SIGs than the Navy and the USCG guns don't have those special internal parts. The way the Navy uses the P226 is so far beyond even the capability of a civilian or even LEO end-user that it's probably a mistake to assume you're getting anything but panache by having the same internal parts.

I had access to the "Navy" internals the whole time I worked at SIG and never swapped out any of the normal parts in my guns, even my personal carry guns (though I did carry a legit "Navy P226" for a while and it did have those parts standard).
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Eventually all DHS agencies will be. At least that is the strategic plan. The USCG is part of DHS which can be activated to deploy with the Navy as part of the Naval reserves. As part of DHS USCG exercised their option to buy pistols off the CBP contract just like they did in 2005 buying off the ICE contract.

Future proofing durable equipment is just common sense for any institutional user.

The last batch of DHS pistols were in service for 15 years. Just because they aren’t running an RDS tomorrow doesn’t mean they won’t in 5 or 10 years.

CBP has asked industry for an RDS that mounts directly to the MOS cut and allows use of standard height sights as BUIS. Between CBP/USBP, USSS and USCG there will some be well over 100,000 MOS Glocks in service with DHS. If you’re buying 100k of something vendors tend to accommodate you.

Re military use- regular joes ? No. Not yet. I don’t think the regular Navy even has M18s yet.

Right now RDS are standard for SOCOM / USASOC units running G19 MOS guns with the tan RMR type 2 selected as the HRS. Other units are running Glocks with Leupold Delta Points but some are going to an X carry version of the M18 sans thumb safety. NSW is supposedly running both MOS Glocks and SIGs that look like X5s with an RDS. Like a lot of things it will vary depending on what a team and/or their leadership want.

Many of these units were using aftermarket slides such as the Unity RDS slides before the MOS guns were a thing.
    "The USCG is part of DHS which can be activated to deploy with the Navy as part of the Naval reserves." Actually, we don't deploy as part of the Naval Reserves. Our LEDETS do deploy on Naval vessels, but remain active duty USCG. The only time the CG operates as a a part of the Department of The Navy, is during a declared war. The last time that happened was WWII. Having said that, when I was still on active duty, the Coast Guard cutter I was on did WESTPAC99 with the Connie Battle Group. That was fun.

Now back to the original discussion. I thought the switch to the G19G5 was interesting as well. But I do understand it. When you are underway, having a firearm that is easy to maintain and service is a definite plus.

-Retired USCG Chief.

Should someone who flies in coastal Alaska be making Coastguard jokes ?
    I guess he likes pushing the envelope. I would invite him to do a winter Bering Sea Patrol, and then we'll have that "wade to shore" discussion.

-Retired USCG Chief. Only 5'4".

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    We did a morale event where groups of us swam across the point in the ocean where the international date line and the equator meet. I had a bad moment where I realized I couldn't stand up like usual, but I hardened up and drove on.

When people ask me what I did in the Coast Guard I always enjoy saying "I took people's cocaine away from them."

Also, USCG also had a pretty much continuous presence in the Persian Gulf since 1990. Usually this was in the form of Law Enforcement Detachments (LEDETS) onboard US Navy or even allied naval vessels doing VBSS in support of UN sanctions. They also participated in manning GOPLATS after the SEALS took them, and participated in one assault on an island to seize a weapons cache. Since the 2003 war, USCG Patrol Forces Southwest Asia (PATFORSWA) has kept 6 patrol boats and assorted support staff in the PG. They are trained to VBSS level 2, to do non-compliant boardings.

Don't forget pirates. When things were sporty around the Horn of Africa, Coast Guard MSRT guys got to deploy and I was hugely jealous.

I've been out so long I don't have any inside sources any more. But if I were to guess, I'd suppose that the Maritime Security Response Team (MSRT) would get new guns first, followed by the MSST (Maritime Safety and Security Team), Port Security Teams, LEDETS, and various other "special" people. From there they'd likely go to the National Security cutters, the rest of the cutters with a primary law enforcement mission, and take a long damn while to trickle down to things like buoy tenders and the Marine Safety Offices that actually have a gun locker.

The migration of any red dots that adopted would likely be similar.
    Good to see another former Coastie out here.

User Tag List