Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: USPSA Production/CO Nationals 2020

Not sure. I think he puts his own unique thought process behind what he does. Reading his posts, some of it makes a lot of sense and some no sense at all to me, but he's surely fun to watch.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by edison View Post
    Tyler Turner is on a glock
    Glock 34 Gen5 to be precise. [emoji41]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    This him? https://youtu.be/LHe81qKET2k

I feel like this video is worthy of it’s own thread. The stuff about grip on the small gun is interesting. Dude is trying to win worlds with a Glock 26. Just wow!
    "It allows me to see my weaknesses quicker, and from there I could improve faster" From C to GM in 2 and a half months?

Last edited by feudist; 10-25-2020 at 11:24 PM.

Wow on his weak hand grip. I'll probably give that a try at my next range practice. I do wish he would of said what trigger work he's done to his 26.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary1911A1 View Post
    Wow on his weak hand grip. I'll probably give that a try at my next range practice. I do wish he would of said what trigger work he's done to his 26.
    @THeHumbleMarksman
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary1911A1 View Post
    His gun is basically stock - which is why we didn't talk about it. The fire control group is 100% stock. The only modifications are the Battleworks slide milling, removed front sight, undercut trigger guard slightly, and I think he stuck a piece of grip tape (rubberized) on the left grip panel.

He uses TTI base pads on G17 magazines. His ammo chronoed at 139 PF and he was shooting 4.2 grains of TG behind a coated bullet - which if you're familiar with the powder - is over max load (by a tenth).

He's not gaming the gun - he's trying to use it to get good.

The match was pretty fun - it was my first nationals - I ended up at 60th @ 77% - which is my new high water mark against Max (75% previously). I finished 37/63 masters - so my prediction of being a lower tier master was smashed - I guess I'm a "middle tier" master finishing in the middle 1/3 of them.

I had two real high points - finishing 2nd on a stage (stage 5) and 4th on a stage (stage 4) - so I did beat Max on 3 stages (including stage 6 - where he rolled over and screwed it all the way up). The two stages I did so well on may well become classifiers - and if that's the case then that will elevate me a good piece toward G since they should be darn near - if not 100%. I shot the LTT RDO and it ran great.

The match was run pretty well - they didn't balance squads - which was a fail - because there were SO many activators and steel - the squad in front of us just had 8 people on it - they lost 1 through attrition - and reset took a while. The stage design definitely favored irons - and he set it up in such a way that all of the classic hicap / dot gun stuff was hard to do. You could blend position - if you like shooting 15 yard no shoot partials on the move. you could nail an activator sequence - if you don't mind swinging onto a 20 yard open target and a 10 yard no shoot partial. There were legitimate options to most stages so there were permutations of most plans that made sense.

I'd have hate to have shot this match as an iron sighted shooter - especially in low cap minor. I wouldn't be surprised if Production recedes further partially due to this match. To challenge the best dot shooters - it makes the matches darn near impossible for casual irons shooters. This match was proof. In CO the match had 22 Gs, 64 Ms in a field that started of 218. My crystal ball says that increasingly CO will replace Prod as the new guy division because at this point Prod guys are playing a different game from everybody else. In theory it's always been that way - but I think if they don't make it a 15 round division it will continue to slide in participation. As Open and CO continue to gain speed - you're going to see more volunteers who shoot dots drawing stages - and the stages will continue to get more and more challenging without a dot. My club is evidence of that - I'm Co-MD in charge of stages and I share responsibilities with an Open shooter. Our match has a LOT of shooting challenges meant to trip guys with dots - lots of hard cover and stretching distance on the bays.

My squad was filled with murderers - there were like 8 CO Masters, 2 A class, a B class CO guy then a random B class prod shooter. Our highest finisher was 24.

The stuff that could have been improved at the match - how is this not a match with ALL waterproof targets and pasters? If any match needed it - it's this one. They had them on moving targets - but they shouldn't have stopped there - resetting any of the target stacks was a pain in the rear with a bag on them. Not providing beer at the banquet for the competitors was dumb.

Max also posted this picture of him holding the trophy with his gun on like he was at the awards ceremony - he wasn't - which means before he was done shooting he posed for a photo op with the cup. Kind of weird.

Quote Originally Posted by THeHumbleMarksman View Post
    His gun is basically stock - which is why we didn't talk about it. The fire control group is 100% stock. The only modifications are the Battleworks slide milling, removed front sight, undercut trigger guard slightly, and I think he stuck a piece of grip tape (rubberized) on the left grip panel.

He uses TTI base pads on G17 magazines. His ammo chronoed at 139 PF and he was shooting 4.2 grains of TG behind a coated bullet - which if you're familiar with the powder - is over max load (by a tenth).

He's not gaming the gun - he's trying to use it to get good.
    I went to BENOS and read his training diary. He definitely thinks out of the box. Actually, the box is a zip code or two away.

He is attacking a vertical learning curve. I found his reasoning compelling in a "Take no prisoners" way.

He certainly gave me something to think about in my own training.

Maybe we should get a thread split on this cat? It would be interesting to hear others take on his training approach as a learning strategy.

I'd advise reading his 3 page diary on Brian Enos' site.

Quote Originally Posted by THeHumbleMarksman View Post
    I'd have hate to have shot this match as an iron sighted shooter - especially in low cap minor. I wouldn't be surprised if Production recedes further partially due to this match. To challenge the best dot shooters - it makes the matches darn near impossible for casual irons shooters. This match was proof. In CO the match had 22 Gs, 64 Ms in a field that started of 218. My crystal ball says that increasingly CO will replace Prod as the new guy division because at this point Prod guys are playing a different game from everybody else. In theory it's always been that way - but I think if they don't make it a 15 round division it will continue to slide in participation. As Open and CO continue to gain speed - you're going to see more volunteers who shoot dots drawing stages - and the stages will continue to get more and more challenging without a dot. My club is evidence of that - I'm Co-MD in charge of stages and I share responsibilities with an Open shooter. Our match has a LOT of shooting challenges meant to trip guys with dots - lots of hard cover and stretching distance on the bays.
    I can confirm this. Honestly, this match was quite tough to shoot in production, but I felt it would have been reasonable with a dot and hi cap mags. In addition to what you highlighted about the target and array difficulty, I felt like I was going to a planned 10 rounds on multiple positions on nearly every stage. There was almost never more than 1 extra round for any position, which frequently included the difficult target presentations, mini poppers at a decent distance, or something else to trip you up. I have already seen a decline in production friendly stage design at locals due to the influx of PCC and CO, and having a nationals like this isn't going to help.

Another thing that doesn't help with the growing production and CO participation disparity is how easy they made the classification hit factors for CO. For everything but the 19 series classifiers, they made CO high hit factors identical to production, which is crazy. It's much easier to shoot faster with good points with a dot, not to mention classifiers like 99-10 that would require a reload in production but don't in CO. Production still has a tremendous amount of heat at the top, but the middle to lower tiers of shooters are fleeing the division en masse.

User Tag List