Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: An attempt at math: clear vs. organic

Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    Not that I don't ''get'' your humor....because I do...but...in all seriousness...

If using shear-validated 10% ordnance gelatin poses to much investment (time & effort), there's always using water since it is also a valid soft tissue simulant.

With any of the three mathematical bullet penetration equations that are available (Q-model, mTHOR algorithm, and MacPherson WTI) prediction of maximum penetration depth and wound cavity volume is easily accomplished. All that is required for using water as tissue simulant is a chronograph, something to hold water bags—or a dozen ½-gallon paperboard milk/juice cartons lined up nice 'n straight—a decent set of calipers, and a reloading scale to weigh the recovered bullet.
    So, I’m pretty sure you know which target of groceries I was referencing, but just so there’s no confusion, it wasn’t water.

Maybe I’m being overly cranky about this whole thing. Maybe I’m just lazy. It’s just that for me, there’s already really good info here on PF. It’s good enough that I don’t really think I need to do my own ballistic testing to find good ammo. That frees up time for me to spend my range time working on putting the bullets where they need to go. I’m all in favor of those that want to and are willing to put in the effort to good science based testing, it moves the technology forward. I just personally get no satisfaction from trying to do my own testing.

Again, none of this was meant to bag on you, but I think you knew who I was referring to from the jump anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    So, I’m pretty sure you know which target of groceries I was referencing, but just so there’s no confusion, it wasn’t water.

Maybe I’m being overly cranky about this whole thing. Maybe I’m just lazy. It’s just that for me, there’s already really good info here on PF. It’s good enough that I don’t really think I need to do my own ballistic testing to find good ammo. That frees up time for me to spend my range time working on putting the bullets where they need to go. I’m all in favor of those that want to and are willing to put in the effort to good science based testing, it moves the technology forward. I just personally get no satisfaction from trying to do my own testing.

Again, none of this was meant to bag on you, but I think you knew who I was referring to from the jump anyway.
    I see what you did in that last sentence.

"bag on me"? 🤣😂🤣😂

Of course I knew to whom you were referring (the Harrell "let's go shoot-a-bag-full-a groceries" Youtube series) and, no, I never took any of what you wrote as disputing the validity of water as a tissue simulant.

I simply "put it out there", for those interested in doing their own terminal ballistic testing, that water testing is an easier option for anyone who might be interested in pursuing the science.

I also never got the impression that you were "bagging" on me. 😊
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

User Tag List