Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bola Wrap

Site Supporter
    Now we are getting ridiculous. Next they will spend a few billion trying to make Star Trek phasers with only a stun setting. I thought the police were not supposed to escalate the violence anymore? Let them runaway so you can arrest them some other day? I’m trying not to be disgusted - but a weapon with limited range, low chance of success, very limited circumstances (no crowds) requiring high skill and constant practice? WTF?

When the E-bola wrap comes out...that's when we'll really have to start weighing our options.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    When the E-bola wrap comes out...that's when we'll really have to start weighing our options.
    https://pistol-forum.com/payments.php

Thanks blues (insert sarcasm emoji here), I hadn't thought about ebola for quite a while.

WARNING!!

The inevitable thread drift warning is now in effect. One of the scariest books I ever read is The Hot Zone. It's the epitome of a page turner. Close second was "Helter Skelter."

https://www.amazon.com/Hot-Zone-Terr.../dp/0385479565

Here's one review from a guy who knows a thing or two about scary stuff:

"One of the most horrifying things I've ever read. What a remarkable piece of work."
    --Stephen King
    "We are the domestic pets of a human zoo we call civilization."

Laurence Gonzales - "Deep Survival."

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by snow white View Post
    What happens if you land a shot on the neck? I'd imagine that thing would wrap around allot and tight.
    Nothing. The little fish hook weights and the Kevlar line itself lack the mass to actually garrote anybody.

We have a few T&E models of this device. Some members of our department are quite enamored of new and shiny things....though in all honesty the device is more plausible than I would have given it credit for. It is very limited in its usefulness, but could be viable in those limited conditions. You need at least 4' of clearance around the subject for the wrap to work, and certain types of clothing seem problematic (soft shell type springy jackets in our tests). They've made some improvements to the device (the aiming laser is now a horizontal line), and the idea shows some promise, but in my opinion its not quite ready for prime time. It'll probably get there eventually.

ETA: of note is that the device is legally a firearm, since it is powered by a 9mm cartridge. This led to some shenanigans and confusion by members of our training staff, who were taking possession of the devices, storing them in desk drawers, and failing to properly register them. I had to kinda put my foot down, and they're now stored in the range safe, and properly registered.

Site Supporter
    I think the Bola Wrap has some potential, but I agree it is a limited use weapon. In addition to the issue with crowds, I'm not sure it will work if the suspect is near a wall, vehicle. or other obstacle.

I'll look forward to further reports after the training.

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    ....requiring high skill and constant practice? WTF?
    Is that the case though? Just from watching the videos it doesn’t appear to be any more difficult to use than a taser.

I totally get the limitations, I’m wondering how it’s gonna work on the naked guy that’s smeared feces all over himself. I can think of several times this would have come in handy, assuming it works as advertised.

I also remember when people made Star Trek stun gun comments about tasers. And now they’re on hundreds of thousands of duty belts across the country.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    Now we are getting ridiculous. Next they will spend a few billion trying to make Star Trek phasers with only a stun setting. I thought the police were not supposed to escalate the violence anymore? Let them runaway so you can arrest them some other day? I’m trying not to be disgusted - but a weapon with limited range, low chance of success, very limited circumstances (no crowds) requiring high skill and constant practice? WTF?
    Pretty much any weapon, but especially less lethal, has a limited range and a limited set of circumstances it can be used in. My concern here is after the wrap, then what? Doesn't look like it's going to take much to untangle yourself. So it's just a set up for a hands on fight at that point? I haven't been to any training or seen in in action, so maybe it's not as simple to remove as it looks like in the videos, but that'd be my main concern with it.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Anyone have firsthand knowledge of this? I won’t lie, it peeks my interest.

https://wraptechnologies.com
    Now that I looked at your link I see what we have isn’t this thing. What we have is the Wrap from www.saferestraints.com.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Now that I looked at your link I see what we have isn’t this thing. What we have is the Wrap from www.saferestraints.com.
    Ok. Gotcha. I reached out to Bola Wrap and I’m gonna try to get them to come to our range and do a demo for us. Which I will of course invite local agencies to.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

User Tag List