Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What's the deal with the Sig P320 these days?

Site Supporter
    The Sig handgun line has sold like hot cakes at my lgs. Of course this fact points to consumer habits of the man in the street.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    The 365 and 320 may share similar design attributes but they are not the same gun.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
    Is the 365 an improvement over the 320? Serious question, because I kinda like the 365XL with manual safety. And there’s a state law in NH that I have to have SIGs (admittedly, I do have a P220 of which I’m quite fond.)

If I wanted an absolutely reliable, safe as possible, durable 320 with a manual safety, what’s my best path? I’ve been eyeing the MA compliant .45 compact with manual safety that Bass Pro carries on occasion, I have a $200 store credit there that would bring it down to reasonable pricing.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

At this point, until SIG can demonstratively, believably, and with proof of accumulated field use establish that their design architecture, inherent component quality, manufacturing quality and quality control processes are in fact producing a durable, safe and reliable product, I find myself loath to unhesitatingly recommend ANY of their products other than the P2022.

There have simply been too many issues, too much duplicity, and too little transparency for my personal comfort. While there are individuals in SIG with whom I have found to be exceptionally helpful and consumer orientated, SIG as an organization seems to be inherently flawed in several aspects. Which is unfortunate, because there is potential true excellence within their product lines.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    At this point, until SIG can demonstratively, believably, and with proof of accumulated field use establish that their design architecture, inherent component quality, manufacturing quality and quality control processes are in fact producing a durable, safe and reliable product, I find myself loath to unhesitatingly recommend ANY of their products other than the P2022.

There have simply been too many issues, too much duplicity, and too little transparency for my personal comfort. While there are individuals in SIG with whom I have found to be exceptionally helpful and consumer orientated, SIG as an organization seems to be inherently flawed in several aspects. Which is unfortunate, because there is potential true excellence within their product lines.

Best, Jon
    What is it that makes the Sig SP2022 different? The notion that the 2022 hasn't suffered the same QC problems as all the other Sigs is something I've seen spoken of a lot. I'm curious as to why the QC for commercial 2022's would be better than other Sigs. I've seen it said that it's because they're still made for European contracts, but isn't it true that Sig has separate lines of production for contract vs commercial guns?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    What is it that makes the Sig SP2022 different? The notion that the 2022 hasn't suffered the same QC problems as all the other Sigs is something I've seen spoken of a lot. I'm curious as to why the QC for commercial 2022's would be better than other Sigs. I've seen it said that it's because they're still made for European contracts, but isn't it true that Sig has separate lines of production for contract vs commercial guns?
    There are not separate “lines” of production - more like separate batches.

They have made A LOT of SP 2022s for non US police sales. Meaning they have gotten efficient at building them. But I don’t think they are building Euro police contract guns any longer.

It is more likely they simply have one / most efficient way to make SP2022s.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    Without first-hand or any insider knowledge on the SP2022 organizational contract protocols, what I look back on were te test and QC protocols with the Beretta M9, as detailed by R.L Wilson and Gene Gangerosa on their Beretta books. Essentially, to ensure component and overall pistol continued quality IAW contract specifications, there are tests provided on individual pistols, random pistols, and lots of pistols. Any component deviations from the contract require their own protocols for approval and adoption (such as the fluted polymer guide rod replacing the steel on in the M9.M10 contract pistols in later deliveries).

I'm assuming that these, or similar standards are somewhat standardized within the industry (or can be specifically stipulated by contract). My guess is that since the contract guns were a major component of P2022 overall production (the P2022 was ever particularly aggressively marketed commercially), SIG simply applied the same standards across the board to both contract and commercial SP2022s, at least component-wise. I suspect testing and QC protocols may have been less stringent/frequent for commercial/non-contract pistols, but that's supposition on my part.

Anecdotally, the SP2022s have the lowest rate of warranty returns out ot the entire SIG line-up. It would be interesting to see hard information on how the SP2022 compareds with the P229 over its service life; frankly, my money would be on the SP2022, at least at this point.

For a contemporary DA/SA pistol, and especially a contemporary DA/SA polymer framed pistol, I think the SP2022 is well worthy of consideration, and price-wise, I think it represents an excellent value. Magazines are contrac Mec-Gars, which doesn't exactly hurt for quality and reliability as well. While I don't currently have one, I had it's predecesssor, the 2340, with both .40 and .357 SIG barrels; I probably shoulda kept that one...

Best, Jon

I have always wondered how long the SP2022 will continue to be produced. It’s one Sig I’ve never owned personally but always been curious about. It’s not the most ergonomic pistol in the world but I’m a big fan of Sig TDA guns. Seems like it’s something I should have personal experience with.

Back to the 320 discussion. In my opinion if you have questions about their safety or reliability you should own something else. There are tons of viable options in the striker gun market. Pick out the features you want, buy a copy or two, and shoot the heck out of it.

I’ve yet to find the perfect striker fired pistol. They all have warts of one kind or another.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    I have always wondered how long the SP2022 will continue to be produced. It’s one Sig I’ve never owned personally but always been curious about. It’s not the most ergonomic pistol in the world but I’m a big fan of Sig TDA guns. Seems like it’s something I should have personal experience with.

Back to the 320 discussion. In my opinion if you have questions about their safety or reliability you should own something else. There are tons of viable options in the striker gun market. Pick out the features you want, buy a copy or two, and shoot the heck out of it.

I’ve yet to find the perfect striker fired pistol. They all have warts of one kind or another.
    I think the SP2022 has a few contracts around the world that is keeping it going. I agree on your P320 comment. I was all in on the P320 a couple years ago, but these safety issues just kept coming back, so I moved on. Really I was going DA/SA anyways. I agree, there are plenty of striker fired guns out there these days to chose from. For me, if I had to go striker fired, it would be the M&P M2.0.

Vending Machine Operator
    My only Sig is the SP2022. The lack of variety in models / calibers / sizes is actually where I think the key to its success lies. They really only have one of the things, they really only make it one way, and they have figured out efficient, steady processes for keeping quality up when it was a .gov contract gun. The SP2022 is absolute proof that criticism for the past 10-15 years of Sig is accurate. If they would simplify their product line and make fewer things, they'd probably have fewer issues. I get that might make them less money, and there's the rub.

Myself, having come to this forum as a gun-a-weeker in 2014 (6 guns bought 2015, 7 bought in 2017, etc.) I finally just hit my wall on that this year. Bought my G19.5, G17.5 MOS, and M2.0 5" Pro Series back in January and March and I haven't even looked at anything else since.

I like Gen 5s and M2.0s. They work really well. Their core function is proven really well. They're comfortable enough. They're accurate enough. I believe in my ability to deploy them well, clear their errors well, and carry them well.

These days money goes to ammo, investments, or computer stuff. Maybe a nice Wilson 1911 and/or Langdon Beretta down the road.

I just don't have the patience to beta test things anymore. Feels like an era every gun owner goes through, and maybe every person who likes guns used to being poor with sudden disposable income - but like an era I have permanently left behind. Didn't even use my 2nd blue label eligibility of the year before I left the DA. Even with Glock, I just didn't see anything else I needed anymore.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

User Tag List