Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Quick: What’s quieter(possum)

Name:  EEE5AEBC-F559-42F0-9132-D5D90F671313.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  47.3 KB

Poor lil fella. Looks like he's been out drinking all night and was trying to crawl to the toilet.

Site Supporter
    If you can find them pick up a box of the CCI Quiet or CB longs. CB longs are pretty quiet (think normal pump up pellet gun) out of a full sized 22 rifle, and are plenty powerful for that duty.

CCI Quiet Auto are AMAZING out of a 22 with a decent suppressor, even small pistols. Magic voodoo ammo!

^^^ Yes, the CCI CB loads (short and long) have a 22 short bullet (29 gr I believe) at around 700 fps or so, the Quiets use the 22 LR 40 gr bullet at somewhere close to the same velocity.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

My niece threw a dead possum in the herbie. When she went out next time to throw away the garbage the little fella was hissing up a storm. Scared the heck out of her. Of course she spent who knows how much time trying to get it out of the herbie.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    My niece threw a dead possum in the herbie. When she went out next time to throw away the garbage the little fella was hissing up a storm. Scared the heck out of her. Of course she spent who knows how much time trying to get it out of the herbie.
    Back in my California years, at around midnight I heard a big racket: a massive possum was fighting with our cat. I grabbed him by the tail, swung him around, and threw him into the middle of the street... and a drug dealer on a BMX ran him over and crashed. I tried not to laugh out loud as I watched from the dark ally. The dude got up limping and yelling motherfucker and bitch at the possum, which didn't seem injured at all.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

If you wish to dispatch a possum, coon, or other undesirable varmint without shooting or beating to death, both of which are far from sure things and liable to upset womenfolk and neighbors:

1. Grab trashcan
    2. Place critter inside, or the whole trap containing critter inside if you're in using a live trap.
    3. Fill trashcan with propane gas and go drink a beer.

Argon, Helium and Carbon Dioxide also work. Anything you have around that's heavier than air. Considerably easier than fussing around with an angry critter in a live trap. Somewhat less scarring to children than watching you chase a terrified wounded small animal around the yard while beating it with a shovel.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Single shot .300 BLK rifle with a can and Hornady's 90gr Makarov XTP going about 1050 in front of some fast powder.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

CCI 45gr Subsonic HPs are very low noise and provide good penetration.

From a 22 inch bolt action they are pretty quiet. From a suppressor they are silly quiet.

Site Supporter
    Our old neighborhood was infested with possum. Our female GSD became pretty good at hunting them. In one summer she managed to kill 16 possums that dared enter her back yard. The second possum that she caught and later killed was a big older male. I thought he was dead and was in the process of scooping his body up with a shovel (one hand on the shovel, the other hand on the dogs collar holding her back) when he popped up and hissed at me. It startled me and the dog got away from my grasp. She pounced back on him and broke his neck with some remarkable efficiency. I can't stand possums.

Name:  IMG_0476.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  49.5 KB

Chango, 12 lbs. of righteous fury, has murderlized 23 opossums in our back yard to date.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

User Tag List