Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quick: What’s quieter(possum)

Quick: What’s quieter(possum)

I believe I have a sick or dying possum on my back porch, if he hasn’t revived himself or died in the next hour or two I’m going to have to dispatch and discard.

Have 3 options:

Suppressed 9mm subsonics in a pistol
    Subsonic 22lr in a CZ452
    Subsonic 22lr in a revolver

What’s going to attract the least attention from my neighbors? Could beat him with a shovel but feel shooting is a little more humane. On a one acre suburban neighborhood lot.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bratch View Post
    I believe I have a sick or dying possum on my back porch, if he hasn’t revived himself or died in the next hour or two I’m going to have to dispatch and discard.

Have 3 options:

Suppressed 9mm subsonics in a pistol
    Subsonic 22lr in a CZ452
    Subsonic 22lr in a revolver

What’s going to attract the least attention from my neighbors? Could beat him with a shovel but feel shooting is a little more humane. On a one acre suburban neighborhood lot.
    I'd stick the rifle barrel in his ear.

Subs in the rifle will sound like a air gun at best.... on a one acre lot I doubt your neighbors would have a clue.
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

If you're really worried about the neighbors, one good hard swing with the shovel shouldn't be less effective or humane than the rimfire.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Any ordinances against discharging firearms within city limits?

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Any ordinances against discharging firearms within city limits?
    Yes. We are on the far edge of city limits but technically in city limits. I grew up in a similar area in the same city and shot regularly but that was 25 years ago.

Possum appears to have not moved since I relocated him from under the couch. Don’t think I am going to need anything after all, he has another 90 minutes to quit playing possum.

This was after I pushed him out from under the couch. He was still alive at this point, he got a death grip on the plant stand.
    Name:  EEE5AEBC-F559-42F0-9132-D5D90F671313.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  47.3 KB

Possum died on its own with no ballistic intervention. Other than the cannon in the front yard the neighbors still think we are pacifist.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    If you're really worried about the neighbors, one good hard swing with the shovel shouldn't be less effective or humane than the rimfire.
    Oh, C’mon! We all hate nosy neighbors but that’s going too far!
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Having had to dispatch several in the past, I am deeply impressed with their toughness and tenacity. A shovel basically made a deep depression in the ground from pushing the critter into it with the shovel blade. No apparent mortal damage to the critter. One required several 22 CBs, (may have been CCI Quiets) in the head to finish from a rifle. In the interest of maintaining a quiet neighborhood and good relations with neighbors, I decided a sharp instrument on the end of a stick may be useful. They also have some yard utility, allowing cutting weeds back in the bushes without bending over or crawling back in the bushes.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

"Deer dispatched--9 rounds."

"Goddammit, Harrison."

User Tag List