Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Penetration of a Sphere formula?

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    Why not osmium? 😉

Although, if asteroid mining ever made that feasable, gold would probably be cheap enough too.
    At 22.65 g/cm³, I suppose that you could do that at similar expense. Although because there would be a negligible increase in pellet mass, I doubt that there would be a noticeable, let alone measurable increase in penetration depth over that produced by pellets made of iridium. The increase in mass for a 00 Buck pellet made of osmium would be on the order of ≈½ grain.

If you really want an ''exotic'' substance, there's the synthesized element 271Hassium with a half-life of ≈10 seconds (due to α decay) with a interpolated mass-density of 40.70 g/cm³. Only a few atoms of 271Ha have ever been synthesized. However, if there was ever enough 271Ha to accumulate into a 00 Buck pellet, it would weigh in at a rather hefty 193.7 grains.

At the same proposed velocity of 1,212 fps in the other examples above, the predicted terminal penetration of a 00 Buck pellet made of 271Ha would be—

mTHOR: 64.13 inches
    Q-model: 74.13 inches
    MacPherson: 77.52 inches

By comparison, gold would be a much cheaper option even at today's value of $1,800 - $2,000 per troy ounce.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Site Supporter
    This reminded me of how I barely graduated from GT with courses in statics, dynamics, and deformable bodies

Engineering Mechanics for non-mechanical (chemical) engineers was my weak point at Tech.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    Personally I have pondered casting zinc buckshot for a while for this scenario. Would be a way to use up all those zinc wheel weights that are everywhere these days and would make nice harder/lighter than lead somewhat brittle pellets that would not carry as much energy as far and would pretty much come apart if they hit something really hard. Never tried it though.

ETA: sorry, just read further and saw this was already being discussed.

I don't know about zinc buckshot but the old American Rifleman found that a zinc .30-06 would penetrate as much wood as GI AP. One tester found zinc .38s beating up his bullet trap.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Well, the very short American Rifleman blurb did not go into doctrine, but I suppose it was meant for less practiced troops to defend themselves from foreigners with.
    Probably some Project SALVO thing? Many, many attempts at multi-projectile loads all the way up to the 90s, with duplex 5.56 ammo in the competition for a new rifle that was never adopted....
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    At 22.65 g/cm³, I suppose that you could do that at similar expense. Although because there would be a negligible increase in pellet mass, I doubt that there would be a noticeable, let alone measurable increase in penetration depth over that produced by pellets made of iridium. The increase in mass for a 00 Buck pellet made of osmium would be on the order of ≈½ grain.

If you really want an ''exotic'' substance, there's the synthesized element 271Hassium with a half-life of ≈10 seconds (due to α decay) with a interpolated mass-density of 40.70 g/cm³. Only a few atoms of 271Ha have ever been synthesized. However, if there was ever enough 271Ha to accumulate into a 00 Buck pellet, it would weigh in at a rather hefty 193.7 grains.

At the same proposed velocity of 1,212 fps in the other examples above, the predicted terminal penetration of a 00 Buck pellet made of 271Ha would be—

mTHOR: 64.13 inches
    Q-model: 74.13 inches
    MacPherson: 77.52 inches

By comparison, gold would be a much cheaper option even at today's value of $1,800 - $2,000 per troy ounce.
    Well, if we have the ability to temporarily stabilize highly unstable nuclei, the likely energy release once you remove the stabilizing field is going to necessitate a different set of equations to determine the damage.💥💥💥💥💥

I imagine the spontaneous nuclear fission of 100% of a given mass would be surpassed only by antimatter/matter annihilation on a joules/gram basis.

ETA: I guess you could dope the synthetic element pellets with heavy hydrogen for even more "fun" in a secondary fusion reaction.
    Last edited by Baldanders; 12-19-2020 at 01:02 PM.
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    I don't know about zinc buckshot but the old American Rifleman found that a zinc .30-06 would penetrate as much wood as GI AP. One tester found zinc .38s beating up his bullet trap.
    Weren't .45ACP Remington "metal piercing" rounds zinc alloy?
    NO EXCEPTIONS

U guys keep bumping this topic back up to the top of the unread post feed.

Every time I see the thread title up there, in between the meme thread and the covid vax thread, all I think is:

”Your Mom.”
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    Well, if we have the ability to temporarily stabilize highly unstable nuclei, the likely energy release once you remove the stabilizing field is going to necessitate a different set of equations to determine the damage.💥💥💥💥💥

I imagine the spontaneous nuclear fission of 100% of a given mass would be surpassed only by antimatter/matter annihilation on a joules/gram basis.
    Reminds me of Skylark of Space. Dick Seaton finds that copper doped with Element X from a meteorite will convert to energy, either as unidirectional thrust or explosively depending on conditions. A plating of X on a copper bullet jacket can be primed to explode on impact. He makes up ten grades of Xplosive projectiles, Marks I to X. He and financial backer Martin Crane are in the desert blowing up rocks and stumps with Mks I and II.
    "Where's the rangefinder, how far is that boulder out there?"
    "800 yards."
    BOOM!
    "That was a Mk V, I don't think I'll try a Mk X around here."

User Tag List