Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Penetration of a Sphere formula?

Quote Originally Posted by spyderco monkey View Post
    Wonderful, thank you!

While I have you here, how would the performance be for a 0.33" Zinc Alloy 00 that weighs 33.9gr at the same impact velocity?

The ball bearings are a simple and cheap option, but I think the ideal (if penetration is up to snuff) would be a Zinc Diecast 00 buckshot, as that would theoretically be less of a ricochet hazard.
    All three penetration models can be used to predict the maximum terminal penetration of a 0.33'' zinc alloy pellet weighing 33.9 grains with an impact velocity of 1,212 fps—

mTHOR: 11.23 inches
    Q-model: 12.98 inches
    MacPherson: 13.57 inches

If you wanted to get really ''exotic''—and exorbitantly expensive!—you could use pure iridium with a density of 22.55 g/cm3 for a pellet mass of 107.3 grains.

Obtaining 12'' of terminal penetration depth with iridium OO pellets would require an impact velocity of just 350 fps—

mTHOR: 14.08 inches
    Q-model: 15.58 inches
    MacPherson: 12.11 inches

Of course, a single shotgun shell loaded with 12 pellets of 0.33'' iridium OO Buck would cost about $4,900, so a box of 5 shells would cost $24,500 which seems to be just about in line with current ammunition pricing these days.
    Last edited by the Schwartz; 10-20-2020 at 10:02 AM.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

I have a handful of MacPherson's Bullet Penetration book (second printing) that I discovered in an old moving box. A couple are signed (scribbled) by MacPherson. Some are like-new and some are "good" condition. PM me if interested.

I can’t imagine that actual steel bearing balls would do much good to the inside of a shotgun barrel... They’re considerably harder than typical barrel steels.

Right. There were some barrels ruined by Daisy BBs in the early steel shot era. Steel shotgun pellets are very mild steel, fully annealed and in thick tough shot cup wads. I don't know what kind of wad it would take to protect a shotgun barrel from steel buckshot, especially hardened bearing balls.

Zinc is a better choice.

But what did you say the advantage would be? Cheaper? Shoot a lot of intruders, do you?
    Low recoil? I don't know what the penetration of the typical "tactical" buckshot at Skeet velocity is, but probably adequate.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Right. There were some barrels ruined by Daisy BBs in the early steel shot era. Steel shotgun pellets are very mild steel, fully annealed and in thick tough shot cup wads. I don't know what kind of wad it would take to protect a shotgun barrel from steel buckshot, especially hardened bearing balls.

Zinc is a better choice.

But what did you say the advantage would be? Cheaper? Shoot a lot of intruders, do you?
    Low recoil? I don't know what the penetration of the typical "tactical" buckshot at Skeet velocity is, but probably adequate.
    I was originally looking into Zinc/ZAMAK when I stumbled across the bearings. Thats still ideally what I'd like to see happen, especially since Zinc can be easily die cast and even gravity cast.

The goal was to get a really low recoil 12 gauge ammo.

9x 33.9gr ZAMAC buckshot would be 305gr/0.687oz.

@ 1400fps, that would have a power factor of 427

That would offer comparably low recoil to a .410 5x000 load, which @ 1135fps has a Power Factor of 397, and quite a bit lower then PF 554 for lead based 'reduced recoil' 12 gauge 00.

The largest steel shotgun shot I can find is F size at .22" diameter. (No 4 buck is 24")
    There are specific hard metal wads and Mylar wraps to protect the barrel.

I guess you could get in multiple wraps to cover bearing balls but best to have a cheap barrel for testing.

Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    All three penetration models can be used to predict the maximum terminal penetration of a 0.33'' zinc alloy pellet weighing 33.9 grains with an impact velocity of 1,212 fps—

mTHOR: 11.23 inches
    Q-model: 12.98 inches
    MacPherson: 13.57 inches

If you wanted to get really ''exotic''—and exorbitantly expensive!—you could use pure iridium with a density of 22.55 g/cm3 for a pellet mass of 107.3 grains.

Obtaining 12'' of terminal penetration depth with iridium OO pellets would require an impact velocity of just 350 fps—

mTHOR: 14.08 inches
    Q-model: 15.58 inches
    MacPherson: 12.11 inches

Of course, a single shotgun shell loaded with 12 pellets of 0.33'' iridium OO Buck would cost about $4,900, so a box of 5 shells would cost $24,500 which seems to be just about in line with current ammunition pricing these days.
    Why not osmium? 😉

Although, if asteroid mining ever made that feasable, gold would probably be cheap enough too.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Trivia:
    The Army once studied, maybe prototyped a handgun firing tungsten No 4 out of a .45 shotshell. I forget how many in the load.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Trivia:
    The Army once studied, maybe prototyped a handgun firing tungsten No 4 out of a .45 shotshell. I forget how many in the load.
    What was the intended purpose?
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Well, the very short American Rifleman blurb did not go into doctrine, but I suppose it was meant for less practiced troops to defend themselves from foreigners with.

User Tag List