Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: COVID and education

Site Supporter
    So, dumb question because I don't have kids and am not a teacher. There are homeschooling curriculums already designed and functioning with kids who stay at home and learn online. Would using these be easier and/or more effective? From an outsider's perspective it seems like forcing teachers to move to online teaching in a sort of mass exodus is kinda like reinventing the wheel when the material is already available in a finished and proven format.

But I fully recognize that I don't know what I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by TBone550 View Post
    So, dumb question because I don't have kids and am not a teacher. There are homeschooling curriculums already designed and functioning with kids who stay at home and learn online. Would using these be easier and/or more effective? From an outsider's perspective it seems like forcing teachers to move to online teaching in a sort of mass exodus is kinda like reinventing the wheel when the material is already available in a finished and proven format.

But I fully recognize that I don't know what I don't know.
    Our school system's online curriculum is so messed up several of my friends who were completely anti-homeschooling are converts. His biggest problem and the straw that broke the camel's back was unprofessional teachers not returning emails, missing zoom classes, and generally fucking off instead of teaching. There were some good ones, but the bad ones were really bad.

In Alaska, the homeschool programs were not prepared for the huge influx of new students, but they seem to be much more adept at thinking outside the box and making it work than the main school system.

User Tag List