Page 41 of 56 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Thread: Tier 1, 1.5, or even Tier 2 tools thread

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I’ve had my California Air Tools 10020C Ultra Quiet Oil-Free and Powerful Air Compressor, 2 HP since 2016. I think I paid around the current price, maybe $400. I had some amount of drama because the delivery driver dropped the first one over our gate, and bent one of the aluminum feet, requiring some return/exchange drama.

There are now quite a few companies that have copied their tech, including harbor freight, but at the time these things were the shit, and it remains insanely quiet.

A few months back one of the air hose fittings randomly gave way, and then last onto one of the plastic/rubber hoses finally gave out. The first go around was a bit of a nightmare sourcing the correctly-sized part to replace the fitting. I’m kind of dreading getting into it with this hose, but I suppose for the cost of a hose, I’ll try.

Thing is, with the advances in battery tech, literally the only thing I *have to* with this compressor now is run my pinner. I have an M18 Brad nailer. I have an M18 mini-blower. I have an M12 inflator…. That isn’t to say that I don’t use the compressor to blow up pool floats and tires, or to get rid of dust on parts (never blow out the shop, suck don’t blow. Clean the mess don’t move the mess), but I don’t *have to* anymore.

Figuring in the cost of my time to engage in the fiddle fuck, I’m seriously thinking of just buying the M18 pinner. Particularly given that you can get one for $200 right now with a free $65 battery…

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...2420/321015040
    Since none of y’all told me not to, I ordered the pinner. Came in yesterday and I drove a whopping 5 pins with it, but this thing is pretty great so far.

Pneumatic tools are becoming less and less appealing…
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    Been busy at work, life, moving etc.

July TOTM 2022 purchased in August is a Spyderco Waved DragonFly.

Initial impressions are

1. the knife is scary sharp from the factory

2. the action is tighter than expected such that the WAVE function is not a smooth as I would like relatiive to a Gen 1 LTD ED Waved Endura I have.

3. I will likely open/close it repeatedly and lubricate as appropriate. As it is fairly well centered, I am unlikely to disassemble

4. It holds in the hand bigger that you would think given its over-all geometry

5. I arbitrarily decided I needed 7 EDC type folders and this is # 6. It also hits a blade length box of being under 2.5 which the Spyderco Cat occupied until I had to leave it behind when I left it in my pocket on the way back from NYC. (I checked an empty bag to move my daughter back inbound and checked nothing for me outbound-stupid I know)
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

I’ve had my California Air Tools 10020C Ultra Quiet Oil-Free and Powerful Air Compressor, 2 HP since 2016. I think I paid around the current price, maybe $400. I had some amount of drama because the delivery driver dropped the first one over our gate, and bent one of the aluminum feet, requiring some return/exchange drama.

There are now quite a few companies that have copied their tech, including harbor freight, but at the time these things were the shit, and it remains insanely quiet.

A few months back one of the air hose fittings randomly gave way, and then last onto one of the plastic/rubber hoses finally gave out. The first go around was a bit of a nightmare sourcing the correctly-sized part to replace the fitting. I’m kind of dreading getting into it with this hose, but I suppose for the cost of a hose, I’ll try.

Thing is, with the advances in battery tech, literally the only thing I *have to* with this compressor now is run my pinner. I have an M18 Brad nailer. I have an M18 mini-blower. I have an M12 inflator…. That isn’t to say that I don’t use the compressor to blow up pool floats and tires, or to get rid of dust on parts (never blow out the shop, suck don’t blow. Clean the mess don’t move the mess), but I don’t *have to* anymore.

Figuring in the cost of my time to engage in the fiddle fuck, I’m seriously thinking of just buying the M18 pinner. Particularly given that you can get one for $200 right now with a free $65 battery…

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...2420/321015040
    Since none of y’all told me not to, I ordered the pinner. Came in yesterday and I drove a whopping 5 pins with it, but this thing is pretty great so far.

Ok there is one downside, and that is size and weight.

But those things almost don’t matter in a lot of cases. If I was in a plumbed production shop and pinning/nailing all day long maybe. But for any other scenario, and especially on-site, battery is hard to beat!

23ga pinners, battery vs air. Not too bad.
    Name:  7B51CB0F-CBFE-4C3B-8421-AA3CA6A40EE0.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  55.9 KB

18ga brad nailers and the difference is more noticeable. Also this is 18v vs 12v for the pinner.
    Name:  6A5FF894-AB32-424D-81F9-88D6BE61B354.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  57.4 KB
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Just picked up this Harbor Freight cordless high-volume inflator to inflate air mattresses:

Works great--filled up two twin air-mattresses in four-minutes--and met my requirements for buying a Harbor Freight cordless tool: minimal, occasional use, with no Milwaukee M18/M12 equivalent.

Eh, factor in the weight, drag, and hassle factor of the hose - especially for mounting trim in a house - and you are still ahead of the game with the battery.
    All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
    No one is coming. It is up to us.

But those things almost don’t matter in a lot of cases. If I was in a plumbed production shop and pinning/nailing all day long maybe. But for any other scenario, and especially on-site, battery is hard to beat!

23ga pinners, battery vs air. Not too bad.
    Name:  7B51CB0F-CBFE-4C3B-8421-AA3CA6A40EE0.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  55.9 KB

18ga brad nailers and the difference is more noticeable. Also this is 18v vs 12v for the pinner.
    Name:  6A5FF894-AB32-424D-81F9-88D6BE61B354.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  57.4 KB
    I love my 18V brad nailer. Not having to set up the compressor and hoses means I am much more likely to use a brad fastener than some other type of fastener.

If you did need air, I really, really like this little beastie from Milwaukee. It’s hard to explain how nice it is to pick up an air compressor and walk around with it sans fucking with cords.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    If you did need air, I really, really like this little beastie from Milwaukee. It’s hard to explain how nice it is to pick up an air compressor and walk around with it sans fucking with cords.
    I, of course, want one to round out my Milwaukee tool collecting obsession, but so far I can’t come up with a reason for it.

This guy wants to continue to claim that you still see compressors on jobsites, but it sounds like he’s a residential guy.

Commercial or multi-family construction, I can’t remember the last time I saw a compressor on a jobsite. Sure as shit don’t see gas/generators but that’s probably because we have temp power running up the building. Buckhoist or not, nobody is hauling this thing up 40 floors.

https://youth.be/f-ivUh8blvc

Site Supporter
    I've got a modest air compressor and a small number of tools, but if my compressor dies, I may switch over to battery. As it is now, the only air tool I routinely use is the impact impact wrench, which is invaluable when working on a 25yo truck. However, most of the other air tools are seldom used or I have an electricity-powered equivalent.

The main thing that keeps me from going full retard on the battery-powered alternatives is picking an appropriate ecosystem and that cost of entry vs the sunk cost of my air-powered infrastructure.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    I've got a modest air compressor and a small number of tools, but if my compressor dies, I may switch over to battery. As it is now, the only air tool I routinely use is the impact impact wrench, which is invaluable when working on a 25yo truck. However, most of the other air tools are seldom used or I have an electricity-powered equivalent.

The main thing that keeps me from going full retard on the battery-powered alternatives is picking an appropriate ecosystem and that cost of entry vs the sunk cost of my air-powered infrastructure.

Chris
    I’d put money on a Milwaukee mid torque being able to handle your 25 yr old truck.
    #RESIST

User Tag List