Page 2 of 56 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Tier 1, 1.5, or even Tier 2 tools thread

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    There was another German brand that began with a "W" that I was looking at, can't remember the name now.
    Wehrmacht. You used to find them all over in Europe.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    I am you re being on a quality by kick. Retail therapy in this time and all of that.

In fairness, I am a lightweight DIY guys assembling furniture, shelves, etc, adjusting this and that, changing a battery and fastening up a falling away heat shield with hanger wire kind of guy.

I have recently purchased Wiha and Wera hex wrenches, a Felo bit driver set, a number of Knipex pliers, Bulmann vise grips, Wiha precision torx stuff for knives/guns, a made in the USA Channel lock brand 4 in one screw driver
    (definitely going to add a stubby based on this thread)

Thoughts on 3/8 6pt Tekton Socket Set as a 1st sets? Based in USA, Made in Taiwan, Excellent warranty.

I have considered Williams but they are made in China now. SK's ratchet drive is 40 teeth whereas Tekton is now 90 and everybody else is at least 72. (in their day in day out sets.)
    Sockets have been my proposed "tool of the month" since mid September. I need to pull the trigger.
    Last edited by vcdgrips; 10-19-2020 at 01:25 PM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    If I remember right, you drive a Japanese vehicle. Which means you need JIS screwdrivers.

Start with this one: https://www.amazon.com/Vessel-Ball-2...dp/B000TG8OM6/

Or get the interchangeable blade set: https://www.amazon.com/Bessel-Vessel...dp/B00E55DL4I/

It's like a multi-speed hand tool. The ball gives you torque, and you can spin the small part of the handle in your fingers for speed once things are loose. The non-interchangeable blade version is better at this, which is why I recommend it.

JIS is not Phillips. The JIS screwdrivers allow you to apply significantly more torque to JIS fasteners without wedging out and damaging them, which a Phillips driver will do.

Also, most cross-point style screws in most consumer goods and hardware supplied at Home Depot and Lowes today is JIS, because it's made in China and they adopted the leading Asian standard. So really, everybody needs JIS screwdrivers.

This is also cool:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003BI8HHQ/
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    I'm totally getting that interchangeable bit vessel bell.

Quote Originally Posted by whomever View Post
    For 98% of my screwdriver use, I use one of the screwdriver handles that takes insert bits, e.g. something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Crescent-Magn.../dp/B07QTTK1GR

because:

1)screwdriver bits wear, especially Phillips. When they do, you just pop in another 99 cent bit.
    2)my sense is that *quality* replacement bits might be better steel than even quality conventional drivers. Perhaps because you can pay more for a small piece. Or I might be all wet :-)
    3)you can buy the brownell's gun bits for your gunsmithing work
    4)you now have a handle not just for slotted and Phillips, but for torx, square head, hex, the 87 varieties of security screws, etc, etc
    5)if you get the handles in normal, stubby, and long, you now have those for all the funky screw types in #4
    6)some of the handles are hollow and you can store several inserts in the handle, so when you're up the ladder and find the whatever is held on by one Phillips and two slotted you don't have to climb back down the ladder.

I have a big drawer full of quality traditional screwdrivers, but rarely use them anymore. The exceptions are a giant slotted and the little skinny Phillips when the screw is down a hole smaller than 1/4 inch.
    It takes a metric ton of work for a good phillips to deform. The average homeowner will never do that much work with one.

That said heres another brand that makes great tools. https://catalog.weidmueller.com/cata...72848757426768

Eta stay away from all the klein screwdrivers. Except for the one with the metal cap in the handle for beating.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

This answer doesn't address the mishmash of tools problem, but it does address the quality problem while keeping expense low--sometimes extremely low. Go to local estate sales and auctions and buy up the old American-made tools.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Wera is the name you are looking for.
    Yup. Can't go wrong with either. The Wera's are my preference.
    ETA: This comes out of my tool box more than any other 5 screwdrivers.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Moylan View Post
    This answer doesn't address the mishmash of tools problem, but it does address the quality problem while keeping expense low--sometimes extremely low. Go to local estate sales and auctions and buy up the old American-made tools.
    Deals can still be had on fleabay, too. And given the state of the economy, Craigslist may not be a waste of time.

Another favorite selection: Get a vintage Sandvik 225 hacksaw. They were private labeled as Klein and I think also Greenlee. Way better than anything made today. Back when stuff was actually made in Sweden.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I’ve got a big Wiha bit set and several Knipex pliers and will also vouch for their quality, but for simplicity, portability, and bit selection most of my projects start with this combo:

https://www.amazon.com/Standard-32-P.../dp/B00166YVUM

https://www.amazon.com/Wiha-28103-Ma...e-21e5a37a4fcf

When I need a screwdriver with a longer shaft, I generally prefer a straight shaft with a dedicated ground tip over an interchangeable bit.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    TL;DR

Pliers - Klein still makes the best followed by Greenlee for specialized pliers

For pliers - I have multiple pairs of Klein needlenose, lineman's, and side-cutter, in different sizes. Channel-lock brand Channel-lock pliers, and Vise-Grip brand vise-grips. Greenlee also makes nice electrical pliers similar in quality to Klein.
    I wired our homes for years and used pretty much nothing but Klein linemen pliers and Greenlee screwdrivers. Mostly because you could get the Greenlee screwdrivers with the wire nut sockets on the end (for twisting wire nuts, obviously). 10/10, highly recommended.

Anything from Stanley or Irwin is pretty good. Pliers, channel-locks, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    TL;DR
    For hammers - As I wear out or break the various things I found from my dad or I had - I've replaced them all with Estwings.
    I recently lost my 22oz smooth-face framing hammer I'd had for almost 20 years. I was bummed. I've gone through countless tapes, knives, squares and chalk boxes but that was my hammer. I got an identical one but it's just not the same. Like replacing your dog with the same dog. Sad face.

User Tag List