Page 13 of 56 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Tier 1, 1.5, or even Tier 2 tools thread

For occasional homeowner use, Ryobi drills and other cordless tools are fine. Ridgid if you want a slight step up.

I want everything cordless. I don’t care if I only use it twice a year. In fact, I want cordless even MORESO if it’s only occasionally used because I don’t want to waste all that time dragging cords around.

Re: tape measures, Fastcap is my preferred brand. You can start fights about auto locking or non. I hate auto locking but understand why those who like them do.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    For occasional homeowner use, Ryobi drills and other cordless tools are fine. Ridgid if you want a slight step up.

I want everything cordless. I don’t care if I only use it twice a year. In fact, I want cordless even MORESO if it’s only occasionally used because I don’t want to waste all that time dragging cords around.

Re: tape measures, Fastcap is my preferred brand. You can start fights about auto locking or non. I hate auto locking but understand why those who like them do.
    I wish I could destroy my Ryobis through fairly hard homeowner use . Seriously.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I also use an old Stanley PowerLock 25' I got >20 years ago.

Only abused the lifetime warranty twice that summer. Once from letting it wind all the way back in and coming to a hard stop - after many weeks of using it all day and doing that, it tore the tab off the end of the tape. So I learned to stop it gently, then let it retract the end slowly. The other time, I let it get into the saw. The second replacement is the one I still use.

I'm not a fan of the "FatMax" style of tool. Stanley seems to have adopted the philosophy that the more space a tool takes up in your tool box, the better it must be.
    Yep, that tape you linked is the one I use. I wear one out about every year or so. You're correct in the hard stops ripping out the tab eventually, but long before that the tape is effectively ruined. The holes that allow the tab to slide back and forth enough to account for the thickness of the tab in compression vs in tension get elongated and once that happens, your measurements start being off by the elongation amount. The short-term solution for this is to start cutting an inch and stop using the tab for anything, but that requires two people or a clamp on one end while also encouraging you to make mistakes with a full inch's worth of error when you're tired.

I agree that the newer big / rubberized tapes are annoying to use while not really offering anything helpful to me personally. The other thing I don't like about them is that they're mostly black, or the rubber picks up darkness from grease etc and then in a low-light environment they're hard to find. Lastly while I'm being a curmudgeon about them, their belt clips often are recessed into the rubberized part making them very difficult to put back on your belt one-handed (the Komelon mentioned above is bad for this, I've got one in my tool bucket and I'm praying for the day when it'll die). Lots of times I'm using the tape for final alignment of something and I've got my other hand holding it steady prior to putting the tape back on my belt and picking up the stinger to weld it solid. So not being able to clip it on my belt, I set it down or drop it and then I can't find it without a flashlight. &%&^%!!!!

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by TBone550 View Post
    The short-term solution for this is to start cutting an inch and stop using the tab for anything, but that requires two people or a clamp on one end while also encouraging you to make mistakes with a full inch's worth of error when you're tired.
    I once worked with a guy who got the nickname, "Off by an inch."
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Thanks Fellas- I never realized how sad my tool game was, until PF let me know.

Seriously though- I’ve been looking to upgrade starting with screwdrivers- so as usual, thanks for the thread.
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

Here’s a link to the various FastCap tape measures I mentioned earlier. I love these for the notepad section, the built in pencil sharpener, the removable clip, the “hold” button on the bottom, and the fact that they (the ones I buy at least) aren’t auto-locking.

https://www.fastcap.com/products/tape-measures

Something else on tapes, you need more than one (besides the “two is one” thing). You want something that’s at least 25ft for various household things, “building” stuff, etc. and then you also want a 12-16ft that’s used more for “woodworking”.

Here’s some of the versions fastcap offers. I have the Standard Reverse in 16 and 25. Multiples of each.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Danger willrobinson! That’s the “flat” version meant to measure around things. Like a seamstress’s tape, not a carpenter’s tape!

This is the one I use for woodworking
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001GUE3G..._2GoXFb02SPPHZ

>>The short-term solution for this is to start cutting an inch and stop using the tab for anything, but that requires two people or a clamp on one end while also encouraging you to make >>mistakes with a full inch's worth of error when you're tired.

>I once worked with a guy who got the nickname, "Off by an inch."

When I do that, I start at the ten inch mark; for me anyway it usually makes the error gross enough I notice being off. YMMV :-)

I needed this stuff last week.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  27.0 KB
    #RESIST

User Tag List