Page 31 of 56 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: Tier 1, 1.5, or even Tier 2 tools thread

Quote Originally Posted by Welder View Post
    That's interesting. I probably have an advantage because I live in an area with a heavy ag background and not far from some old industrial cities. And I'll gladly drive 4 hours' round trip for a used tool purchase; I like to travel anyway and it makes a good excuse. I don't use FB so I don't have access to Marketplace, but a few people are still using CL and that's where I do my shopping from.

A local check just now showed a Reed 203 1/2R vise on a workbench for $200 and a Prentiss 4" vise for $150. Both would be good vises. I'm sure if I extend to the cities I'll get a bunch more hits.

ETA don't forget that you're spelling the word "vise" wrong each time you type it. That could be some of your search problem. I often search for the word "vice" as well since it's a common misspelling.
    I haven't actually bothered trying to search for it either way in my area after years of continued disappointment on the power tool front.

Como se dice "vise" en Espanol?
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    Vise in Spanish is Tornillio or Torno

Bench Vise would be Tornillio de Banco or Torno de Banco.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Has anyone here tried "Vampliers"?
    Hmmm. My initial thought is no because they're made from a stainless steel. Stainless steel in my experience doesn't compare to good alloyed tool steels, good oil hardened vanadium carbon steels for instance. There's a reason stainless steels aren't used for certain things like reloading dies and high carbon steels generally make better hard use knives. However that's a Japanese steel grade and they are made in Japan. Probably good for homeowner use. They look kickass. Would be tempting.

ETA: Upon further review in one part of the description they state "stainless steel" but looking deeper they don't state that. There is a review that the guy says they rust very fast, far worse than his Klipex stored right alongside so I'm thinking not. He still likes them though. But red flag for me. Plus there is a pretty negative review with the "teeth" wearing on several pairs and a response states they have a 1 year warranty.
    Last edited by Spartan1980; 09-30-2021 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    Hmmm. My initial thought is no because they're made from a stainless steel. Stainless steel in my experience doesn't compare to good alloyed tool steels, good oil hardened vanadium carbon steels for instance. There's a reason stainless steels aren't used for certain things like reloading dies and high carbon steels generally make better hard use knives. However that's a Japanese steel grade and they are made in Japan. Probably good for homeowner use. They look kickass. Would be tempting.
    The description says they’ve been hardened to a RH of 60 +/-2, which is right in the ballpark of the hard use knives.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    The description says they’ve been hardened to a RH of 60 +/-2, which is right in the ballpark of the hard use knives.
    As I read it it's just the inner jaw and wire cutting surfaces which would make some sense. I think the teeth would chip right off if that hard.

Alright folks -

I need a screwdriver, actually two of them. A #2 Phillips and a 3/16 or 1/4" slotted. But not just any screwdriver, two that are very flat to fit into the small toolkit for the Stella. I looked at some offset screwdrivers, but I would prefer something L or T-shaped to something Z-shaped. I've found with offset Zs, they don't do ANYTHING well, whereas an L or a T do things better while being just as flat. (As long as there is a bit on the long side of the L and not just the short side).

Any suggestions for low-profile screwdrivers?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Add a 1/4-in 6-pt socket or whatever else drives your screwdriver bits: https://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08.../dp/B000WJFMFC

Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/CRAFTSMAN-Soc...dp/B07QFYTRQL/

or this: https://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-89...dp/B000HBAJ1M/

This or something like it is also a good option on the bike, but don't use the bulky case: https://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-85...dp/B0062FSAVI/
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 09-30-2021 at 11:35 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    As I read it it's just the inner jaw and wire cutting surfaces which would make some sense. I think the teeth would chip right off if that hard.
    The teeth are for screw extraction. Most screws are pretty soft, especially the small stuff that one can fit a set of lineman’s pliers around. I’ve never been interested in buying a pair because their intended use is too narrow for my purposes. That would probably be the best way to know for sure though rather than speculating.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Site Supporter
    T.O.T.M.-Sept 21 were the repurposed clear toothbrush cases for my zipties as an extension of hacks thread by GearFondler ( I had one in stock and bought another.)

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ite-gear-hacks

After a year of T.O.T.M and the tool oriented retail therapy I have been doing since March of 2020, I am starting to run out of ideas or reasonable needs

Oct 21 is likely to be some type of caulk gun.

Nov 21 perhaps a paint brush or two to augment the 1 inch angled Purdy I have had forever?

Dec 21 packing tape dispenser or a pipe wrench of some sort?

2022-Battery powered hand tools?
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

So on Saturday, I drove my K5 Blazer to work, so I could go to the nearby NAPA and grab a new alternator. It had been putting out weird voltage, so I figured the regulator had failed. Plus there was a bearing noise that was getting louder under the hood, so I figured it was the alternator too. Turns out it was the water pump and it failed on the drive to the office. ANyway I bought both units at NAPA and proceeded to change them at my work parking lot. I have a fully equipped service truck at my disposal, but I thought it would be a good test to see what I could fix only using the tools in my tool bag. I was successful, and only had to borrow a scraper (which is now on the buy list) from the shop.

But what I had realized is that my tool bag sucks. and all the sockets had fallen off the holders, etc. While this was OK, because I was in a comfortable location, and being daytime, it was well lit, I realized I need to make my tool bag more organized and easier to use.

What are you guys using for tool storage in your vehicle, and how big of a job do you think you'd tackle with the tools you keep on hand?

User Tag List