Page 14 of 56 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Tier 1, 1.5, or even Tier 2 tools thread

what does a solid set of tools look like for the average DIY home owner?

tape measure
    hammer
    phillips/flat screwdriver
    rachet set
    drill- at least 20v
    tool box

how much am i missing? i am looking for the minimum- not specialized equipment for a car repair, etc.- those vary by job.
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

Quote Originally Posted by holmes168 View Post

tape measure
    hammer
    rachet set
    drill- at least 20v
    tool box

how much am i missing? i am looking for the minimum- not specialized equipment for a car repair, etc.- those vary by job.
    If you want min, you could drop down to a 12v drill. If you think you may add other cordless tools later, starting out with 18/20v will be better in the long run.

If you bought this and added a Ryobi 18v cordless brushless hammerdrill you'd be pretty damn well set.
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-Koba...Set/1002623802

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-18...1813/300225309

I bought something similar for the MIL's house and I have yet to encounter much of anything I can't deal with when I'm there.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

tape measure
    hammer
    rachet set
    drill- at least 20v
    tool box

I’d rather have an impact driver than a drill and then add in the bits to drive sockets with that along with Phillips/Torx/flathead, whatever. So much depends on what you’re doing around the house, like mainly working on vehicles or drywall, what? Just be careful on which power tool brand you buy, because you’re then kinda married to that brand of batteries and “ecosystem”. I did that with Ryobi and Ryobi gets a lot of bad press, but I can’t break any of my fairly hard used and extensive Ryobi toolset yet. I sure wish I’d had the extra coin to go Milwaukee Fuel, though.
    #RESIST

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"

tape measure
    hammer
    rachet set
    drill- at least 20v
    tool box

Make it a screwdriver set, multiple sizes and make sure you have JIS tips as discussed earlier in the thread for all the China hardware in household goods. At this point, I'd just get the JIS drivers because they work better in Phillips than Phillips works in JIS. Don't need a million, but 3-4 slotted and cross-type in various sizes come in handy.

I'd add at least a few sizes of crescent wrenches for plumbing stuff. And a set of combination wrenches in metric and SAE.

Sets of hex keys, metric and SAE. Discussed earlier in the thread.

utility knife and spare blades, plus a box of single-edge razor blades

drill bits
    simple 2' level and plumb bob
    center punch for locating/starting screws and nails

putty knife
    at least one nice quality trim paint brush and a paint stirrer (drill type) for touch-up jobs around the place

a couple Homer buckets

I'd have basic electrical tools, but I'm not going to recommend anything in that department to unknown persons.

If you paint anything, keep records of exactly what paint you use. Brand and color codes. And where it was used.

Keep records of anything you install. Brand, model name, part numbers. That way, you can look it up when you need to get parts for it later or want to get more like it to match up. This includes plumbing, etc. Keep the same records for anything you repair after you figure out what was needed. Basically, build a service manual for the place as you go.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 11-30-2020 at 05:29 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I’d rather have an impact driver than a drill and then add in the bits to drive sockets with that along with Phillips/Torx/flathead, whatever. So much depends on what you’re doing around the house, like mainly working on vehicles or drywall, what? Just be careful on which power tool brand you buy, because you’re then kinda married to that brand of batteries and “ecosystem”. I did that with Ryobi and Ryobi gets a lot of bad press, but I can’t break any of my fairly hard used and extensive Ryobi toolset yet. I sure wish I’d had the extra coin to go Milwaukee Fuel, though.
    Thank you- for the reply and thread start....

I went with a 20v Dewalt cordless drill- I watched a few different contractors as they did basic repairs for a whole lot of money on our old house.

Impact driver would have been an excellent idea.

We moved into a 20 year old house in St. Louis- but it is in great shape. I just need to be better prepared to do the home handyman stuff. Plus- since all the kids are gone- there is some extra $$ in the budget for me!

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post

Keep records of anything you install. Brand, model name, part numbers. That way, you can look it up when you need to get parts for it later or want to get more like it to match up. This includes plumbing, etc. Keep the same records for anything you repair after you figure out what was needed. Basically, build a service manual for the place as you go.
    Yeah- I made that mistake when we were moving out of old house. Almost derailed the closing by a couple weeks- who would have ever thought I needed to keep multiple receipts from old projects.

Just added this to my cart at Amazon, the Milwaukee equivalent is $57. I like that this is gear driven instead of shaft driven. This could have made my life easier many times in the past. $20

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-Right-...dp/B07NQS465R/

#RESIST

LL - I have a flex-shaft one (Ryobi, I think) and the DeWalt you have. One of the problems you'll have, at least I did, is keeping the bit seated in the screwhead.

I anticipate it will work great on anything using a hex, torque or square driver, haven't tried it on any of those yet.

The vast majority of electrical work that a homeowner or hobbyist would encounter can be performed with the five tools shown here and a pocket knife. Anything else is highly specialized for very specific tasks rarely if ever encounters in the typical house or, is for convenience. Name:  5CE57108-7E51-4A5C-A3DF-79D2DE4CA6A7.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  73.8 KB

Name:  FD226746-C9F1-4E8F-B02F-A611AD0515AF.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  67.6 KB
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

@LittleLebowski was wondering where you ended up on screwdriver and how is the performance

User Tag List