Page 32 of 56 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: Tier 1, 1.5, or even Tier 2 tools thread

Wera for the win.

I love this guy’s channel. Most of the negative comments seem to typically come from folks that don’t like the outcome relative to what they already bought, and then back their way into disputing his methods. IDK what people are expecting from a YouTube channel.

In my case, I dumped a bunch of money into Tekton over the last couple of years so I’m not too happy to see that they didn’t perform. At least in this case I hadn’t bought their screwdrivers (yet).

Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    OCT 21 T.O.T.M. (TOOL OF THE MONTH)-Caulk Gun

https://www.newborncaulkguns.com/model-930-gtd/

https://www.amazon.com/Newborn-930-G...25751480&psc=1

I went local and spent about 4.00 more than if I had bought it on amazon prime. (12.08 plus tax) 17 ish all in from a store just up the street. The only one I could find local that was sub 30.00 and NOT made in the PRC.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I've been running one of this general style since high school days. Which means you'd probably be hard pressed to find one made as well now. But this seems to have another level of ruggedness compared to most of them.

https://www.amazon.com/Red-Devil-398.../dp/B0007ZLZKM
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I've been running one of this general style since high school days. Which means you'd probably be hard pressed to find one made as well now. But this seems to have another level of ruggedness compared to most of them.

https://www.amazon.com/Red-Devil-398.../dp/B0007ZLZKM
    #M12MasterRace

https://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-244...dp/B00AAGVZVW/
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Wera for the win.

I love this guy’s channel. Most of the negative comments seem to typically come from folks that don’t like the outcome relative to what they already bought, and then back their way into disputing his methods. IDK what people are expecting from a YouTube channel.

In my case, I dumped a bunch of money into Tekton over the last couple of years so I’m not too happy to see that they didn’t perform. At least in this case I hadn’t bought their screwdrivers (yet).
    I hope that doesn't extend to my cool new little ratchets.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    What are you guys using for tool storage in your vehicle, and how big of a job do you think you'd tackle with the tools you keep on hand?
    Just saw this. I have 3 tool sets; two of my work trucks have them permanently and the third is switched around between whichever personal vehicle I'm driving. The most complete set, and the one I'd most like to have with me in the event of a failure, is an old Craftsman 191 piece. Another is an old Kobalt, and the third is a newer and lesser Craftsman. I got all of them from pawn shops for pennies on the dollar.

I much prefer a complete manufacturers' toolset compared to piecing something together from the tool store aisles. A complete set will have snap-in storage for every tool so organization is guaranteed. The better ones (2 of my 3) also have a small storage cubby for other stuff you might need, which is good because most toolsets are lacking something.

I prefer a toolset that has 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2" drives, some extensions, some deep 3/8" sockets in addition to the shallow ones, a decent selection of wrenches, and at least a screwdriver handle with multiple bits. A lot of manufacturers up their piece-count by throwing in 75 allen wrenches which are usually not needed on the road at all. So I usually ignore the piece-count and instead focus on how much meat is in the set.

Commonly not included in the sets but *always* carried along with me in addition to the sets are a ball peen hammer (the biggest I can reasonably carry), a cold chisel, a 10" 3/8" extension, a pair of channel lock pliers, roll of electric tape, some zip ties, a pair of wire cutters, a tire plug kit, set of jumper cables, and a cheap 12V compressor.

ETA that since you asked, the most recent job I performed with just my Craftsman 191-pc set was when the over-the-column shift tube broke on my F350 at the end of a job one day. Put it in R to back out, tried to put it back in D, and it broke while still stuck in R. Not knowing what had happened for sure, I shut down, got my set out, and proceeded to pull the knee blocker and drop the steering column. Got it figured out, disconnected the shift cable from the column and routed it out through the knee blocker area where I could reach it with my channel locks, and drove the truck like that for 2 weeks until the parts came in to fix it. That was probably a month ago. Most routine maintenance and side-of-the-road emergencies are more brain- than tool-limited with a capable set.

Also forgot to add that if I'm on a long trip, I throw in a multimeter as well. They're pretty handy in certain situations.
    Last edited by Welder; 10-06-2021 at 03:32 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Wera for the win.

I would've liked to have seen some tool truck screwdrivers in the comparison, too, but those might be too rich for the audience. I've had Craftsmans for years because that was what I could afford, and I'm honestly surprised that they did as well as they did. The flatheads aren't real prizes but they're easy to get replaced with the lifetime warranty. I've chipped ends off quite a few of the small and medium ones, enough that I consider them to be made of something slightly harder than cheese.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Any pro-level shop I've seen that relied on Craftsman sourced this century had a box on the back of a work bench accumulating broken tools while it waited for someone to get around to taking the box to Sears and getting them all replaced.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Any pro-level shop I've seen that relied on Craftsman sourced this century had a box on the back of a work bench accumulating broken tools while it waited for someone to get around to taking the box to Sears and getting them all replaced.
    Do they even still do that?

Is there even still a Sears?
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    ....box on the back of a work bench accumulating broken tools....
    Yeah, I think anybody who works with any regularity has a place for busted tools. Mine usually has GearWrench, Kobalt (think I waited too long on them; I heard they weren't lifetiming any more tools or if they were, the new tools' quality is a lot worse), Craftsman, and I think there's a couple Mac universal sockets and either an S-K or Proto something or other.

User Tag List