Page 7 of 56 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Tier 1, 1.5, or even Tier 2 tools thread

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Milwaukee and Dewalt make really good drill bits.
    I’m a huge Milwaukee fan, and would love to put red bits in my red tools, but even as a hobbiest I’ve had too many problems with the red and settled on yellow for drill bits.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post

Now, moving on. I need to replace two of these thin profile Craftsman ratchets (one 1/4" and one 3/8" drive)

Attachment 62136

Things I like(d) about these ratchets - the handle shape, the quick release, and the slim-line head. Things I do not likely about these ratchets...they're both fucking broken and self-reverse.
    I have a couple of old ratchets that were my dad's - a proto and a craftsman - you can buy rebuild kits:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...SAAEgJqmfD_BwE

That Wright ratchet you linked to, I wouldn't buy it solely because it looks like something out of a $49.99 250 Piece Mechanic's Wrench Set.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post

That Wright ratchet you linked to, I wouldn't buy it solely because it looks like something out of a $49.99 250 Piece Mechanic's Wrench Set.
    It does kind of look that way.

I can tell you though, the three Wright ratchets I have (none are slim-head designs) are all great quality tools.

In other news - The Wiha screwdriver set with the foam and plastic organizer fits perfectly in my tool box (forgive the second shitty pic, I was trying to stand on a stool, keep the drawer steady (my box is tilted slightly to have the drawers 'self-close'), and take a picture.

http://instagram.com/p/CGseIJ0J0cZ/

Speaking of tools... nice little primer for car repair basics by Scotty Kilmer.

"You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    My anticipated Tool of the Month for November:

a: A Rigid Brand Aluminum 18 inch Pipe Wrench ( I own no such tool) or

b: A set of Crescent Wrenches ( I own no such tools, but just bought sockets and have numerous sets of Knipex pliers to include their adjustable ones) or

c: An Estwing hammer in the 12-16 oz range (I have a 22 oz with a Milled Face I bought for a fence tear down job years ago but it seems a bit unwieldy.)

d: Open to suggestions
    Estwing hammer, love mine.
    #RESIST

Holy crap, did RR just...insta us?!

It does kind of look that way.

I can tell you though, the three Wright ratchets I have (none are slim-head designs) are all great quality tools.

In other news - The Wiha screwdriver set with the foam and plastic organizer fits perfectly in my tool box (forgive the second shitty pic, I was trying to stand on a stool, keep the drawer steady (my box is tilted slightly to have the drawers 'self-close'), and take a picture.

http://instagram.com/p/CGseIJ0J0cZ/
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Holy crap, did RR just...insta us?!
    and unprovoked, one might add.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Since y'all seem to like the expensive stuff, everyone who works on cars should have one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/SK-Hand-4-inc...dp/B000OGUHUI/

I use a cheaper version, because that's how I roll. But I'd be happy to have the SK, for sure.

Break loose all those M6 fasteners with 10mm heads by popping the 1/4 ratchet in the back of this as a 6-in extension, then just loosen everything quickly. I'm all about the Milwaukee M12 driver, but there are a ton of things on cars and bikes where I just want more control than that gives me. The M12 will sit hammering on a fastener for a long time that can easily be broken loose by hand with the ratchet, so I often just break everything loose by hand, then take it all the way apart with the driver. It's also good to get everything started by hand so you don't cross thread anything, then run them down with the driver.

Speaking of the M12 driver, I have the version of this kit from 10 years ago, and it's my go-to for a ton of stuff. I like the small batteries like on this one just to keep the tools more compact and easy to use. Not to turn this into the cordless tool thread that we already have somewhere else. But I use this with the 1/4 spinner extension all the time. They make a great combination.

https://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-249...dp/B0043WF6Q4/
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

My anticipated Tool of the Month for November:

a: A Rigid Brand Aluminum 18 inch Pipe Wrench ( I own no such tool)
    I wouldn't buy this unless you have plans to need it. Probably kinda expensive for something you've gotten this far without needing. You may never need it.

b: A set of Crescent Wrenches ( I own no such tools, but just bought sockets and have numerous sets of Knipex pliers to include their adjustable ones)
    Make sure to do your diligence and get the correct metric or SAE version.

c: An Estwing hammer in the 12-16 oz range (I have a 22 oz with a Milled Face I bought for a fence tear down job years ago but it seems a bit unwieldy.)
    I always wanted one of these. Picked one up when the Sears hardware-only stores were closing down and everything was 50 percent off. I really like it.

d: Open to suggestions
    See prior post.

And dang you to heck, tool of the month is a cool idea. Scheduled retail therapy. Just don't let your wife get the idea of "shoe of the month" or any such nonsense.
    Not another dime.

I don't have enough space in my garage for the tool box I'd need to keep stuff organized that way. That's a heck of a lot of unused space. You could fit at least 2x as many screwdrivers in that drawer without the tray.

I do keep my sockets organized. These have been working for me for ~30 years, and barely take up more space than the sockets without them.

https://www.harborfreight.com/steel-...-pc-68103.html
    Not another dime.

User Tag List