Page 15 of 56 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Tier 1, 1.5, or even Tier 2 tools thread

Thanks to this thread I ordered some new screwdrivers for the hell of it. I already had the Wiha set from the original post but I think ill gift it to my BIL. I also have a set of Wiha precision screwdrivers in slotted, phillips, and torx for the smaller sizes and haven't found anything that uses the anything bigger than PH2.

Click on picture for link. I got the PB Swiss drivers from www.toollady.com during Black Friday sale.

VESSEL MEGADORA +1x75 (JIS)

VESSEL MEGADORA +2x100 (JIS)

VESSEL BALL GRIP 1/4" Hex. Bit Interchangeable Screwdriver

SwissGrip Screwdriver Set for Slotted screws (1-6) #8240. They have a precision hollow grind

SwissGrip Screwdriver Set for Torx© screws (T8-T25) #8440

Thanks to this thread I got this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

...and I am not sure why I did not get one like it a long time ago. It is fantastic for a lot of the stupid little household jobs I have had in the last few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by johnson View Post

VESSEL BALL GRIP 1/4" Hex. Bit Interchangeable Screwdriver

Ahh dang it. I don't think I own any Japanese tools and this looks cool. Like the post above, this should be handy as a do-it-all inside the house tool.

And I probably posted this in the past, but I have the older version of this Kobalt set. It has been, without a doubt, the best thing for certain around the house things where there is not a lot of room to work. For example, the handle on the sliding door was loose and there is no room to fit anything other than this ratchet with a phillips bit.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-35-P...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

If there happened to be someone looking to get a new Estwing hammer while at the Home Depot this weekend, would anyone have a solid recommendation
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

Quote Originally Posted by holmes168 View Post
    If there happened to be someone looking to get a new Estwing hammer while at the Home Depot this weekend, would anyone have a solid recommendation
    Get the 20 ounce framing hammer with the blue, rubber handle. The stacked leather handles look great but don't absorb shock as well and aren't as easy to hold if you have calluses.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by rayrevolver View Post
    And I probably posted this in the past, but I have the older version of this Kobalt set. It has been, without a doubt, the best thing for certain around the house things where there is not a lot of room to work. For example, the handle on the sliding door was loose and there is no room to fit anything other than this ratchet with a phillips bit.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-35-P...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

I carry a selected version of that in my dirt bike pack when riding farther than I want to walk from the truck. I think I went with the Husky handle, though.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I got the Vessel drivers a day early and did a quick comparison to the Wiha drivers I have.

I noticed that the PH1 and PH2 shanks are stepped down for the tips while the rest of the lineup doesn't, including the stubby PH2.

Wiha PH1 goes from 4.49 mm to 4.18 mm.
    Vessel P.1 is 5.47 all the way.

Wiha PH2 goes from 6.00 mm to 5.79 mm.
    Vessel P.2 is 6.39 mm all the way.

The JAWSFIT tip is supposed to help bite into the screw.

Wiha 30297 (12 piece set) and PicoFinish precision drivers on the ends. I like the longer handle and bigger cap on the PH00 when opening cell phones/electronics but it feels more flimsy compared to the regular precision series.

I tested fit of the #2 screwdrivers on a drywall screw and the stubby driver had almost no play, the Vessel had a little bit, and the regular size Wiha PH2 had a lot of play.

The bit on the Vessel ball driver fits as snug as the Wiha stubby so I'd probably opt for the non jawsfit models if I were to buy again (900 instead of 900JF series). I'd have to read more experienced reviews to see if it actually makes a difference.

Thank you for the advice in the thread. I put the Milwaukee autolock tape measure and the Dewalt combo set of 20v cordless drill and impact driver both on my Christmas list. I think I'll just order that light bulb changing stick system and see how it goes, I'll report back.

Quote Originally Posted by holmes168 View Post
    what does a solid set of tools look like for the average DIY home owner?

tape measure
    hammer
    phillips/flat screwdriver
    rachet set
    drill- at least 20v
    tool box

how much am i missing? i am looking for the minimum- not specialized equipment for a car repair, etc.- those vary by job.
    I wouldnt get cordless. The batteries dont last and are expensive. You have receptacles everywhere in your house. A short extension cord is all you need. Just make sure the power tool is commercially rated. It will last forever.
    Skilled trades electrician and home remodeler for the last 30+ years.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    I wouldnt get cordless. The batteries dont last and are expensive. You have receptacles everywhere in your house. A short extension cord is all you need. Just make sure the power tool is commercially rated. It will last forever.
    Skilled trades electrician and home remodeler for the last 30+ years.
    I think I said this already, but I couldn't disagree more.

Cords are a pain in the ass. Doubly so for the homeowner that doesn't want to spend twenty minutes to do 30 seconds worth of work. If the wife wants a drywall anchor installed so she can hang something up, I grab the drill and the box of anchors, use the included bit, drill the hole, bang the anchor in with the heel of the drill, drive the screw in with the bit attached to the drill, and I've got it all put away in the time it would have taken to find, untangle, plug in, and roll out the cord.

Ryobi cordless are cheap and plenty sturdy enough. Hell, buy a Ryobi corded and leave it in the box in case you have somehow managed to back yourself into a homeowner drilling crisis where you actually want to waste your free time dragging out cords, looking for a plug... fuck that shit. Just get a second Ryobi cordless and keep that in the box. Batteries can be <$50/ea if bought in packages or on sale. That's *not* expensive at all.

Life's to short to waste it monkeying with cords. It's 'bout to be 2021 for christ's sake!
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

User Tag List