Page 49 of 56 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast

Thread: Tier 1, 1.5, or even Tier 2 tools thread

Recently scored on a Maasdam Rope Puller. Designed sort of like a come-along, the unique benefit to this thing is you don't need to reset and re-hook every 5 or 10 feet as with a come along. You get a continuous pull for as much rope as you have. 1500 pounds of pulling capacity. Uses 1/2" Dacron rope. Seems pretty well built. I've used mine to skid a good-sized log and am happy with it thus far. Wish I had bought this years ago.
    Maasdam Rope Puller w/ 150' of rope.

My next purchase will be an 8-ton come along and hopefully the Hi-Lift Jack can be set aside for the most part.
    All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
    No one is coming. It is up to us.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Hey - enough people here have drooled on and trialed enough gear that maybe someone will have a suggestion.

I want an L-shaped bit driver for pocket carry. Ideally, the bits would stay attached to the driver.

Victorinox used to make these but I think they stopped:

Name:  sa33340x550_300x@2x.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  54.2 KB

That'd be pretty close to perfect, though.

I like all the flat-profile mini ratchets but I want the longitudinal screwdriver option. If someone just made a flat little ratchet with a 1/4" hex or square drive at the end of the handle, I'd be in.

That Wera Zyklop ratchet-driver looks amazing but more like shoulder bag or backpack carry. I want EDC.

Basically, I always have at least one knife, so I figure a 5" pair of Knipex Cobras and a little driver and I'll be able to eat Leatherman tools for breakfast, for similar weight, better ergos, and Betty carry dynamics since I can spread the stuff out over 2-3 pockets.

I'm seeing some pretty good stuff on bikepacking sites but nothing has quite made me jump yet.

Anyway open to suggestions here.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Quote Originally Posted by Maple Syrup Actual View Post
    Hey - enough people here have drooled on and trialed enough gear that maybe someone will have a suggestion.

I want an L-shaped bit driver for pocket carry. Ideally, the bits would stay attached to the driver.

Victorinox used to make these but I think they stopped:

Name:  sa33340x550_300x@2x.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  54.2 KB

That'd be pretty close to perfect, though.

I like all the flat-profile mini ratchets but I want the longitudinal screwdriver option. If someone just made a flat little ratchet with a 1/4" hex or square drive at the end of the handle, I'd be in.
    There are options but from brands that are new to me:

https://www.amazon.com/SATA-11-Piece...BoCWfQQAvD_BwE

https://www.amazon.com/SabreCut-MRSC...d_i=B08S41VCZH

I might try one of these. I am slowly building a small tool kit for my lovely electric car that comes with no tools or spare tire.

Another one with a wallet kit. This one comes with a mini T handle option...

https://www.amazon.com/Prestacycle-T...F9B&th=1&psc=1

Site Supporter
    Maybe try one of the 1/4 inch drive mini ratchet sets and add a 1/4 inch extension to the kit to use for the vertical option.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rayrevolver View Post
    There are options but from brands that are new to me:

https://www.amazon.com/SATA-11-Piece...BoCWfQQAvD_BwE

https://www.amazon.com/SabreCut-MRSC...d_i=B08S41VCZH

I might try one of these. I am slowly building a small tool kit for my lovely electric car that comes with no tools or spare tire.

Another one with a wallet kit. This one comes with a mini T handle option...

https://www.amazon.com/Prestacycle-T...F9B&th=1&psc=1
    Whoa that Presta one is brilliant - ordering. Thanks, great suggestions.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Site Supporter
    I should have clicked through the links. That's a more versatile kit version of what I was thinking you could cobble together.

Picked up some older Milwaukee stuff off ebay. Made in USA none of that cheap made in China stuff. Ill be passing these down to my Son. I included the sellers info in case anyone wants some older tools that have been refurbed.

Name:  5308920A-B1CF-4CC6-8802-551A915D584A.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  43.9 KB
    Name:  E80CE351-93BF-48EE-B8FE-ED89A7916A19.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  39.5 KB
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Probably will, I'm just too cheap to try it out until my current solution fails.

But, it would free up a bunch of space in my work bench currently filled with air compressor, hoses, and associated tools.

Chris
    I ran a steel cable overhead added pulleys with an eyelet, it is a pretty cheap way to get the hose out of the way. I wire tied the hose to those clips hanging off the bottom of the pulley. Theres an eye bolt on each end to apply tension and a piece of angle iron as the bracket.

Name:  ECDA738B-CF43-4A59-BD53-5B6D8E616CA1.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  20.1 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    I ran a steel cable overhead added pulleys with an eyelet, it is a pretty cheap way to get the hose out of the way. I wire tied the hose to those clips hanging off the bottom of the pulley. Theres an eye bolt on each end to apply tension and a piece of angle iron as the bracket.

Name:  ECDA738B-CF43-4A59-BD53-5B6D8E616CA1.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  20.1 KB
    Neat idea, but the hose isn't in the way, it just takes up a lot of space under my bench. I have about 100ft on a manual reel, plus 5-6 air tools, plus the compressor and aux tank. That stuff takes up space no matter how you organize it. That end of the bench (more accurately the space underneath) is almost entirely dedicated to the air-tool ecosystem, but none if it is out in the way when not in use.

What I should do one day is run a hard line from the compressor to the wall separating my shop from my garage and mount the hose reel in the garage so I don't have to run hose to the end of the shop, down the hall, and into the garage. That is why I have 100ft of line, to get to the garage and give me plenty of length to move around or even get out to the driveway. 99% of my air tool usage is in the garage anyway.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Neat idea, but the hose isn't in the way, it just takes up a lot of space under my bench. I have about 100ft on a manual reel, plus 5-6 air tools, plus the compressor and aux tank. That stuff takes up space no matter how you organize it. That end of the bench (more accurately the space underneath) is almost entirely dedicated to the air-tool ecosystem, but none if it is out in the way when not in use.

What I should do one day is run a hard line from the compressor to the wall separating my shop from my garage and mount the hose reel in the garage so I don't have to run hose to the end of the shop, down the hall, and into the garage. That is why I have 100ft of line, to get to the garage and give me plenty of length to move around or even get out to the driveway. 99% of my air tool usage is in the garage anyway.

Chris
    Or put the compressor and tools in the garage and run a hose into the shop. Or even better if its an oil free compressor put it outside. Those things are annoyingly loud.

User Tag List