Page 55 of 56 FirstFirst ... 54553545556 LastLast

Thread: Tier 1, 1.5, or even Tier 2 tools thread

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Makes me want a Tool Check in metric and one in Imperial that much more!

I have this and the Harbor Freight Icon. Each has its strengths and weaknesses. I actually keep both in my Veto TP-XXL bag for getting out of those annoying little jams.

I think the case is the real magic of the tool check plus. I wish they sold just the empty case. I actually have more use for cheaper impact rated bits and sockets for my purposes. If the case was cheap, I'd probably throw a set of Makita/Milwaukee impact sockets and bits into the case and be better served for way cheaper and easily replaced. As it is, I can't bring myself to break up the set because of how expensive they are.

The icon has a really neat and useful little ratchet/extension with magnet. I did break this set up and added the Makita impact bits to this one. So I grab it quite often.

Quote Originally Posted by frozentundra View Post
    I have this and the Harbor Freight Icon. Each has its strengths and weaknesses. I actually keep both in my Veto TP-XXL bag for getting out of those annoying little jams.
    That's a pretty nice bag.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by frozentundra View Post

I think the case is the real magic of the tool check plus. I wish they sold just the empty case. I actually have more use for cheaper impact rated bits and sockets for my purposes. If the case was cheap, I'd probably throw a set of Makita/Milwaukee impact sockets and bits into the case and be better served for way cheaper and easily replaced. As it is, I can't bring myself to break up the set because of how expensive they are.

The icon has a really neat and useful little ratchet/extension with magnet. I did break this set up and added the Makita impact bits to this one. So I grab it quite often.
    I would love to see a Tool Check Plus+ with both imperial and metric.

I'd almost buy two and merge them to have something to keep in the RV, as some fasteners are in each system, and it's nice to have exactly what I need.

Someone posted a list of all the fastener types & sizes for my van to our FB group, and I stocked up accordingly. It was a life-saver when my awning deployed itself going over a bridge in Newport and then (mostly) detached itself after making contact with a road sign. I had to remove the remaining armature on the side of the road. Having EXACTLY the right size ratchet and the wrench was oddly relieving and satisfying at the same time.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

I would love to see a Tool Check Plus+ with both imperial and metric.

I'd almost buy two and merge them to have something to keep in the RV, as some fasteners are in each system, and it's nice to have exactly what I need.

Someone posted a list of all the fastener types & sizes for my van to our FB group, and I stocked up accordingly. It was a life-saver when my awning deployed itself going over a bridge in Newport and then (mostly) detached itself after making contact with a road sign. I had to remove the remaining armature on the side of the road. Having EXACTLY the right size ratchet and the wrench was oddly relieving and satisfying at the same time.
    We need a vehicle tool kit thread.
    #RESIST

Just picked these up off of eBay. Here are two pair of Linemans High Pressure crimpers made for Bell System. They use little hardened anvils and a bolt-cutter-like leverage system to increase crimping force, without significant increase in squeezing force needed. These two pair cover 22-14AWG insulated fittings and 24-12ga non-insulated fittings.

http://instagram.com/p/C1-QsmhOCIZ/

Makes me want a Tool Check in metric and one in Imperial that much more!

Wera is a German company, but the tools are made in the Czech Republic. I say that, because the price of comparable set made in Germany is about double - https://www.kctool.com/hazet-2200sc-...het-50-pieces/

I don't think it makes any difference whatsoever in terms of performance and quality. Just that Wera tools for the most part are not made in Germany.

I am not sure these qualify as Tier 2... but its a 270 piece kit for $99 shipped. Home Depot Husky brand.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Me...2ki1s0#overlay

EDIT: Comes in a case with handles. Probably a good starter kit for your kid or to leave at a rental property.

They are not made in the USA anymore. Husky was my go-to in the 90s and were USA made tools back then. I remember they had a tool trade-in program, bring in whatever brand tool and they would replace it with Husky. I still use those tools from the Husky kit today, so far no breakages or issues.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    We need a vehicle tool kit thread.
    I carry so many tools in my truck, I dream about putting a utility bed on my next truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    I carry so many tools in my truck, I dream about putting a utility bed on my next truck.
    Not the same, I'm sure, but this guy geeks out on tools. He has cost me money.

I'm sure you guys will smoke me on this but I'll do a little video on my set-up and post it up to get the Truck Tools thread rolling in the next little bit.
    All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
    No one is coming. It is up to us.

For some of the "I wish they sold just the empty case" thoughts, or wishes for existing kits/cases to more favorably accommodate adding a few more items and still carry conveniently, I wonder if some of the 3D printing people on etsy might be able to come up with a good all-rounder? The different makers would probably do a one-off, but maybe there could be a design that would satisfy a lot of people.
    If you want to search around, a lot offer custom inserts for Milwaukee's Packout boxes

just a representative pic, I don't have a connection to any particular seller

https://www.etsy.com/search?q=packout%20insert

User Tag List