Page 24 of 56 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: Tier 1, 1.5, or even Tier 2 tools thread

Site Supporter
    I don't have a picture of it, but it's been awhile since I saw a tool that I must have. Today I saw one. A sledgehammer with a solid copper head. Not really useful for the average person, but you can whale on a 4" diameter pin without mushrooming the head like you would with a regular sledgehammer, nor do you have to hold a block of wood in between to avoid said mushrooming. Just beat on the pin like a red-headed stepchild.

It's a gigantic version of a little brass tapping hammer. The owner said it was about $500. Think I'll price shop a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Welder View Post
    I don't have a picture of it, but it's been awhile since I saw a tool that I must have. Today I saw one. A sledgehammer with a solid copper head. Not really useful for the average person, but you can whale on a 4" diameter pin without mushrooming the head like you would with a regular sledgehammer, nor do you have to hold a block of wood in between to avoid said mushrooming. Just beat on the pin like a red-headed stepchild.

It's a gigantic version of a little brass tapping hammer. The owner said it was about $500. Think I'll price shop a little.
    We have a dead blow sledge hammer and a bronze 4# hammer from these guys. https://www.lixiehammers.com/products I think the 4# hammer was less than $100. The 8# one is about twice that depending one where you find it. The dead blow has removable plastic ends.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"

Around 20 years ago, I picked up a 2 lb copper-head hammer at Harbor Freight for a reasonable price. Wouldn't be without it.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Learn something everyday, interesting.
    #RESIST

My son has one with rawhide on one side and copper on the other. It gets used quite a bit for bearing races when we don't have the the right sized bearing race driver. Rawhide side gets used to whack on spindles and such that you don't want damaged.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Around 20 years ago, I picked up a 2 lb copper-head hammer at Harbor Freight for a reasonable price. Wouldn't be without it.
    This is the one I have.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/31354992911...AAAOSwXXVgrAcp

Ebay/Craigslist/estate sales seem to be a likely bet for best price, as with quality vises.
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Yeah, y'all understand the concept. This sledgehammer was every bit of 12 lbs if not 15. It was marked in Kg, not lbs and I can't remember the number. Had the standard 4' handle for something that size. It made an appearance while assembling a 158k lb Liebherr Reach Stacker which had a few good-sized pins in the main boom and the cylinders. Every one of us working on it had made the mistake of deforming giant pins in our younger years with 8+ lb standard sledges, and I think every one of us decided we needed to personally buy a giant copper sledge by the end of the day.

This one started as a Ford axle with about 40 lb of lead poured on the flange end.

https://youtu.be/AlV9abKF1k0?t=106

Straightened the control arm enough to finish.

BTW, the nerd in the driver's suit whose car that was grew up to be the engineer at Mazda NAO with the most responsibility for the current Miata being what it is.
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    June 2021 Tool of the Month-JIS Vessel Screwdriver with bits and storage system.

1 inch pvc pipe/2caps.

I had the pipe so I was out of pocket a 1.09.

Caps are just friction fitted.
    Name:  85E58F8C-727A-43CD-B048-C53987A42841.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  25.6 KB
    Name:  C6702A58-8A58-4EE7-9E56-9B69D650C4A9.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  29.3 KB
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Somehow we seem to be going down a mini-tools rabbit hole here...

Based on this thread
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....hacks-for-this

I've been looking at mini ratchets.

of course, Wiha makes one.
    Name:  619VrwS-P6L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  31.8 KB

Which you can also get in a kit.
    Name:  71cCLlNXufL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  42.2 KB

Which means, of course, Wera does too
    Name:  71d04kbGxUL._SL1500_.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  49.5 KB

and Wera also has some pretty neat kits in Metric & Imperial which includes a screwdriver handle (sadly, there doesn't appear to be a kit with both...)
    Name:  81aGRoTjhWL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  72.4 KB

And then there's VIM (which I had never heard of)
    Name:  51mIuUmARBL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  22.5 KB

which also has their own kit...
    Name:  61iAWwvAheL._AC_SL1200_ (1).jpg
Views: 152
Size:  49.0 KB

then there's other new guys, which seem interesting, like MulWark
    Name:  71CkDEtZwKL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  28.0 KB
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

User Tag List