Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for 870 18in barrell with rifle sights

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    Does anyone make a good set of open iron sights?

I see several ghost ring styles, but little in open sights. The Remington sights are high and fragile looking.
    The Remington rifle-style sights stay on the gun more reliably than most of the ghost ring sight setups out there. The Wilson Combat ghost rings, for instance, have a bad habit of falling off the gun.

The key to using the Remington rifle style sights is to use thread locker. My "Humble Pie" 870 is chugging right along, having survived my use and being used as a loaner in every single class I teach. The screws for the rear sight have rusted slightly...which only helps it stay put. Trust me: That gun is not treated gently.

As for "high", they're not high enough to change how I mount the gun. Typical Remington front sights will work with the Aridus CROM which is most certainly not too high.
    3/15/2016

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Cartwright View Post
    Feudist:

I have been contemplating grabbing a cheap vent ribbed barrel from CDNN, having it shortened (say 18.5 inches), re-cut for choke tubes and having 1911 style dovetails cut near the muzzle and about two inches in front of the receiver. Then add a simple set of fixed 1911 sights. Something like a 10-8 Performance National Match rear and a Novak front dovetail sight. I can't imagine it would be too difficult but I never got around to having it done. Food for thought.

Bruce
    Vang Comp has installed pistol sights on vent rib barrels multiple times. They can either dovetail into the rib and sink sights in there, or create something custom like Matt Haught's "Mbogo":

Name:  mbogo2.jpg
Views: 2213
Size:  65.3 KB

Vang installed a set of Remington rifle sights on my Winchester 1300 Defender:

Name:  1300sights.jpg
Views: 1009
Size:  94.9 KB
    3/15/2016

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Cartwright View Post
    Feudist:

I have been contemplating grabbing a cheap vent ribbed barrel from CDNN, having it shortened (say 18.5 inches), re-cut for choke tubes and having 1911 style dovetails cut near the muzzle and about two inches in front of the receiver. Then add a simple set of fixed 1911 sights. Something like a 10-8 Performance National Match rear and a Novak front dovetail sight. I can't imagine it would be too difficult but I never got around to having it done. Food for thought.

Bruce
    Steve Fisher has something like that built by Vang with HD type pistol sights cut into the VR, The high vis front is IMHO a little more useful for "shotgunny" stuff. Plus no one's eyes are getting younger.

I cut a Winchester model 12 down and had sights put on it. The front is a Williams Shorty shotgun ramp with I think a Sourdough blade sight (may be a bead, its been a while since Ive had it out), the rear is a steel Remington 700 rear sight machined to the shotgun barrel diameter and sweated on. I managed to break the screw holding the rear adjustable windage blade thing on once. Its been OK since the screw was replaced.

Name:  IMG_5667.jpg
Views: 847
Size:  70.9 KB
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I cut a Winchester model 12 down and had sights put on it. The front is a Williams Shorty shotgun ramp with I think a Sourdough blade sight (may be a bead, its been a while since Ive had it out), the rear is a steel Remington 700 rear sight machined to the shotgun barrel diameter and sweated on. I managed to break the screw holding the rear adjustable windage blade thing on once. Its been OK since the screw was replaced.

Name:  IMG_5667.jpg
Views: 847
Size:  70.9 KB
    If ever you have an opportunity to take a close up picture of the front sling attachment point on your M12, I'd appreciate that!

On Topic: As far as the "fragility" of the 870's rifle sights. If a bunch of correctional staff working perimeter patrol can't bust them off the gun, you can be assured they're pretty sturdy. We have a bunch of guns that have been in service for many, many years. The really old ones with bead sights sit in the central armory sulking as we shoot slugs at 50yds as part of the qualification course and of course, people claim they have to have rifle sights at 50yds.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Vang Comp has installed pistol sights on vent rib barrels multiple times. They can either dovetail into the rib and sink sights in there, or create something custom like Matt Haught's "Mbogo":

Name:  mbogo2.jpg
Views: 2213
Size:  65.3 KB

Vang installed a set of Remington rifle sights on my Winchester 1300 Defender:

Name:  1300sights.jpg
Views: 1009
Size:  94.9 KB
    I really do love that gun.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

MGW does get the Remington barrels in on a fairly regular basis. I picked up a 14" with XS sights about a month ago. Once you get the notification be prepared to buy immediately. I like the XS sights on shotguns.

I have an XS rear sight mounted on the vent rib of my Versamax 3-gun shotgun. My slug hits are much easier having added the rear sight.

Site Supporter

Used Shotgun Barrels

A google search will reveal vendors selling used shotgun barrels. The op could find an 18 inch plain barrel and have sights attached. Remington sights--sold as parts--may be available. Places like Numrich also have goodies. Call the nice man at Summit GunBroker. He may have a couple leaning against the wall.

I am going to look around the pawn shops here for a spare barrel, then i will send it to Vang-Comp to cut down, have the super secret sauce done to it and rifle sights installed.

Quote Originally Posted by FNFAN View Post
    If ever you have an opportunity to take a close up picture of the front sling attachment point on your M12, I'd appreciate that!
    Ill get a picture in a week or so.

Its a common short sling stud, 1/4" long x 10/32 thread I believe. I just looked at the magazine end cap to see if there was a spot available that was dead space, where the slider pin that locks it and the retaining screws werent a problem. Turned out basically centered in the lower part when the gun is assembled worked perfect. Drilled with a hand drill (correct size for tap) then tapped it.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

User Tag List