Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for 870 18in barrell with rifle sights

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    The Remington rifle-style sights stay on the gun more reliably than most of the ghost ring sight setups out there. The Wilson Combat ghost rings, for instance, have a bad habit of falling off the gun.
    What about the sights that Vang Comp will put on your gun?
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    What about the sights that Vang Comp will put on your gun?
    Those seem to be solid. I've never seen a set fail.
    3/15/2016

Steel sights can be sweated on. Its pretty bombproof when done right. I had the shorty ramp on the model 12 sweated on (along with the screw) as well as the rear.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    There's a 20-incher on GB. Don't know what the bidding will go to.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/881873437
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Ill get a picture in a week or so.

Its a common short sling stud, 1/4" long x 10/32 thread I believe. I just looked at the magazine end cap to see if there was a spot available that was dead space, where the slider pin that locks it and the retaining screws werent a problem. Turned out basically centered in the lower part when the gun is assembled worked perfect. Drilled with a hand drill (correct size for tap) then tapped it.
    Much appreciated info!

The reason I ask:

Name:  M12.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  21.7 KB
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

It's probably more to do with my shitty right eye than anything else, but I vastly prefer something like the Vang Comp Sentinel sights, especially if inlet into a vent rib, to any of the traditional 'rifle' sights on shotguns. You could probably improve regular rifle sights with a file to widen out the rear notch and a larger front blade to make it faster to pick up at speed, but the Sentinel sights are just so much more low-profile and I value that in a gauge.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Vang Comp has installed pistol sights on vent rib barrels multiple times. They can either dovetail into the rib and sink sights in there, or create something custom like Matt Haught's "Mbogo":

Attachment 62049

Vang installed a set of Remington rifle sights on my Winchester 1300 Defender:

Attachment 62050
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Steve Fisher has something like that built by Vang with HD type pistol sights cut into the VR, The high vis front is IMHO a little more useful for "shotgunny" stuff. Plus no one's eyes are getting younger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I cut a Winchester model 12 down and had sights put on it. The front is a Williams Shorty shotgun ramp with I think a Sourdough blade sight (may be a bead, its been a while since Ive had it out), the rear is a steel Remington 700 rear sight machined to the shotgun barrel diameter and sweated on. I managed to break the screw holding the rear adjustable windage blade thing on once. Its been OK since the screw was replaced.

Attachment 62052
    TCinVA and HCM:

Thanks for the information and education about the Vang Comp sights. Knowing that Vang Comp does that work may eventually push me to set up a single "do it all" barrel. Part of the reason for not moving forward with the project is that I added a "sourdough" type front sight to my 870 rifle sight barrel. Doing that got rid of the abominable factory round bead and gave me a sight picture with a consistent reference line across the top.

Malamute:

Can you describe the "sweating on" process? Is this essentially soft soldering or silver soldering? Thanks in advance.

Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright
    Owner & chief instructor-SAC Tactical
    E-mail: "info@saconsco.com"

Yes, sweating is soft soldering. Low temp silver solder is also good and stronger than soft solder. Id probably choose the later, and may in fact be what was used, Im just in the habit of saying sweating.

Older shotgun ribs and double barrels were soft soldered. Not sure whats common today.

Gun shows are good places to find old sourdough sights. Redfield and others made them back in the day, the most recent versions from other makers (Marbles?) ive seen were cast, I broke one drifting it in an 86 rifle barrel when the drift slipped. The older all steel ones are great. Most dont really know what they are and are sometimes very reasonably priced. Ive paid around $5 for one or two, up to $15-ish or so. Really like the old style sourdough sights.
    Last edited by Malamute; 10-20-2020 at 09:10 PM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

The Wilson Combat ghost rings, for instance, have a bad habit of falling off the gun.
    The best WC install is on a barrel that has the pedestal for the bead. Then drill through the sight and pedestal for a roll pin.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

I got my 18" rifle sight 870 barrel from Hans Vang years ago. It might be worth a phone call to VangComp to see if they might have one. I installed XS Sights big dot tritium express sights.

User Tag List