Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: SF starts non-police behavioral response

If it’s not available 24/7, it’s not a serious attempt to help.

Locally, we are seeing ER doctors refusing to issue restraints to combative patients. Guess who they are now calling to every scene where that’s needed?

If you guessed the PD, you win a cookie.

PDs are going to absorb the liability from all sides now.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    If it’s not available 24/7, it’s not a serious attempt to help.

Locally, we are seeing ER doctors refusing to issue restraints to combative patients. Guess who they are now calling to every scene where that’s needed?

If you guessed the PD, you win a cookie.

PDs are going to absorb the liability from all sides now.
    In California, we ain´t doing that. We, and our Sheriffś deputies, are often asked to physically restrain patients so medication can be administered. Nope. That´s what your orderlies and hospital security are for.

In the past, we´d occasionally get the idealistic young intern that would insist that he couldn´t treat an injured or sick prisoner while they were handcuffed, and demand the cuffs be removed. We´d start to object, but a wise experienced ER nurse would have her hand on your arm, whispering ¨They have to learn sometime.¨ So, we´d wait outside the exam room until the screaming and crashing started. Hopefully the young doc didn´t end up a patient in his own ER.

I should have clarified: ER docs are doing this to the paramedics in the field.

They haven’t done this in house at the ER.....yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    According to this new story, the San Francisco Street Crisis Response Team will work from 1000hr to 1800hr, Monday through Friday. I wonder if they plan to expand the work hours as the program grows, or perhaps mental health crises only happen during banker's hours?

https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/...ion-911-calls/
    It's a Military Time problem: should've been 2200-0600.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by KellyinAvon View Post
    It's a Military Time problem: should've been 2200-0600.
    Forgot the sarcasm emoji - I had to go read the story hoping you were correct.

It’d be funny if it weren’t so pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    According to this new story, the San Francisco Street Crisis Response Team will work from 1000hr to 1800hr, Monday through Friday. I wonder if they plan to expand the work hours as the program grows, or perhaps mental health crises only happen during banker's hours?

https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/...ion-911-calls/
    They don’t mention the ‘meal break’ from 1300 to 1430, or the play-doh break from 1515-1545, or morning recess.
    Ignore Alien Orders

I wonder if these Street Crisis Response "agents" will accompany health inspectors as they try to put a restaurant owner out of business. Not that small business owners aren't stressed out or anything. Way too many people at all levels of government who have never had a real job.

Site Supporter
    Portland police and a Crisis response team go to a suicidal schizophrenic guy with a knife call. Protestors show up and begin protesting the police while they’re trying to handle the call.

im strong, i can run faster than train

That ^^^^ was and will, likely, continue to be a significant problem - now that ign'ant believe they can insert themselves in these events.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    If they staff the squads with experienced, street-smart people I'd like to think it could be a positive change. It's not going to be perfect, but if they can handle a good percentage of these calls instead of the police it'll be a good thing. Nobody's happy with the current state of affairs. What's the alternative?
    If these experienced, street-smart people can handle a 'good percentage' of these calls instead of the police, what about the 'bad percentage' of these calls? Would you assume that experience and street smarts will enable unarmed responders to be able to predict - before it happens - the violent outburst? And if your wife - or your daughter - was to be one of these experienced and street-smart unarmed responders, would you be willing to bet her life on it? (I wouldn't.)

User Tag List