Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Halloween/Scary Movies

Site Supporter
    Just Remembered one more. Bubba Ho-tep with Bruce Campbell starring as an aging Elvis in a nursing home who teams up with Ossie Davis as “JFK” to fight a Mummy who is stealing the souls of the nursing home residents.

For such a goofy premise the acting is surprisingly good and I happily re-watch it every couple of years. “It’s got mucho mojo man”.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Sister skipped her annual Halloween party for the first time in twenty years. So we just set-up the projector after trick-or-treating and lit a campfire. A coworker swung by and we fired up some nachos and screened Kronos (1957) as a farewell to the best month of the year.

I paid far too much for a DVD of this forgotten B-flick and would do it, again.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Bubba Ho-tep
    I love this movie. That it's dore3cted by the same guy who made Phanstasm helps explain the insanity being good.

Site Supporter
    Watched the Rob Zombie remake of Halloween with the spouse. Not bad. Funny scene when Loomis goes into the gun store to get a gun. He sees a big revolver and wants that but the clerk tells him it is a 22. Oops, gets some kind of 357.

Gun stupidity - no anchoring shot of Michael when he is down. That is necessary for monsters. However, original Michael in Halloween II took two 357s in his eye sockets and it didn't stop him. In Scream, the bad gun is down and someone says this is when the monster gets up and she says - Not in my movie - and Glocks him but good!

Another point - Loomis fires three shots. It's a revolver. Laura gets the gun after a fight with Michael and pulls the trigger, nothing, clicks two more times to get to the round. So they were keeping count of the rounds but not how revolvers work. I explained this to my wife - BIG YAWN!

Minor shotgun - don't have a pump gun when you are entangled with monster, you ain't racking the next round. Also, when the monster is entangle with a set of guards - you back off, don't open the cell door, shoot a guard whom the monster drags in front of him and then screw up the rack when he charges.

Distance is your friend with monsters. Michael is the best of this genre. Need to see the latest one when it is off pay channels.

I've put more emphasis on spooky short story narrations (mostly Lovecraft, Poe, and Hawthorne), audio dramas, spooky albums, and old time radio programs; this year. Vincent Price, Peter Lorre, Basil Rathbone, and Christopher Lee were all irreplaceable and reliving some of their lesser-known voicework has been great fun. Oddly enough, though, I'd pick two modern pieces from The Lovecraft 5 subproject of 19 Nocturn Boulevard as my favorites. Very, very well adapted audio dramas of Lovecraft's From Beyond and The Temple:

http://www.19nocturneboulevard.net/a...e%20Temple.htm

http://www.19nocturneboulevard.net/a...FromBeyond.htm

The Omen (1976). Mrs Baylock is one of my favorite creepy characters ever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Watched the Rob Zombie remake of Halloween with the spouse. Not bad. Funny scene when Loomis goes into the gun store to get a gun. He sees a big revolver and wants that but the clerk tells him it is a 22. Oops, gets some kind of 357.
    Doesn’t Illinois have a 3 day waiting period?

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    In Scream, the bad gun is down and someone says this is when the monster gets up and she says - Not in my movie - and Glocks him but good!
    Well, technically she Berettas him good.

Just re-watched VVITCH. Forgot how awesome that movie was.
    Come, mother, come! For terror is thy name, death is in thy breath, and every shaking step destroys a world for e'er. Thou 'time', the all-destroyer! Come, O mother, come!

Watched "Event Horizon" on Halloween day. Film that bombed at the box office and now has cult status. Watched the special features, didn't realize the director was 31 at the time.

Site Supporter
    The original Phantasm movie still haunts my dreams.

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

User Tag List