Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Halloween/Scary Movies

Trick ‘r Treat four good scary anthologies in one movie.

Halloween

Dog Soldiers

The Howling
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    My favorite time of year.

3. The very first in the Halloween, Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm St's. Every sequel pretty much sucks.

My favorite time of year as well. This Halloween marks our 21st wedding anniversary. (Yep, married on Halloween )

As for sequels, some are good, more are probably crap - but I like watching them anyway (except Zombie’s H2 - total dog shit). As for Friday and Nightmare, many, myself included, don’t consider the original to be the best in the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    My favorite time of year as well. This Halloween marks our 21st wedding anniversary. (Yep, married on Halloween )

As for sequels, some are good, more are probably crap - but I like watching them anyway (except Zombie’s H2 - total dog shit). As for Friday and Nightmare, many, myself included, don’t consider the original to be the best in the series.
    Cool!

Was it a Halloween themed wedding? Did everyone dance to Thriller at the reception?

Forgot to mention I also have a Halloween themed live wallpaper on my cell phone with ghosts, bat, jack-o'-lanterns, and witches

Site Supporter
    I haven't watched it in years, but When a Stranger Calls (the original, not the remake) scared the dickens out of me as a kid.

"Have you checked the children?"

Having overfilled a bookcase with horror alone to the point more DVDs and Blu-rays are in milk crates, you're going to make me pick favorites?

The Evil Dead series. All of them to include the remake.

Anything and everything Vincent Price.

Psycho.

The atomic scare age with studs wrestling foam rubber creatures obviously thrown at them from just off stage, stuff dangling from strings, and mad scientists.

The classic Universal monsters except The Mummy. That series was largely garbage.

Hammer horror. Those sets and maudlin performances.

The silent age had some real unappreciated gems. See Maciste in Hell and many of Segundo de Chomón's shorts as good examples.

Not a real slasher fan.

My all-time favorite may well be Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956) for its tight plotting, excellent acting, how far it pushed such a thin budget, and the sheer existential dread soaked throughout. It's a technical masterpiece and everyone preferring the comparatively vapid '70s remake is mad.

And practical effects remain my preference at all times. I've found very few CGI showcases to hold any lasting interest. Case in point:

Site Supporter
    John Carpenter's The Thing was the first scary movie I remember seeing. I was 5 or 6 and my folks would not have normally let me watch it but we were all at a family friend's house. At the time we had a Ford Gran Torino station wagon with the third-row fold down seating. The entire drive home I swore The Thing was under the third seat.
    Horror movies with spirits or ghosts and loud shocking sound effects scare me passed the enjoyment phase. Usually try to watch some of these in October:
    The Thing
    Wolfman with Anthony Hopkins
    American Werewolf in London
    Halloween
    Children of the Corn
    Legion
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    Having overfilled a bookcase with horror alone to the point more DVDs and Blu-rays are in milk crates, you're going to make me pick favorites?

The Evil Dead series. All of them to include the remake.

Psycho.

The atomic scare age with studs wrestling foam rubber creatures obviously thrown at them from just off stage, stuff dangling from strings, and mad scientists.

The classic Universal monsters except The Mummy. That series was largely garbage.

Hammer horror. Those sets and maudlin performances.

The silent age had some real unappreciated gems. See Maciste in Hell and many of Segundo de Chomón's shorts as good examples.

Not a real slasher fan.

My all-time favorite may well be Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956) for its tight plotting, excellent acting, how far it pushed such a thin budget, and the sheer existential dread soaked throughout. It's a technical masterpiece and everyone preferring the comparatively vapid '70s remake is mad.

And practical effects remain my preference at all times. I've found very few CGI showcases to hold any lasting interest. Case in point:

Sounds like I'd love to be at your place.

Absolutely agree, CGI is over done and overrated

Cat People. The black and white original.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    And the late great Boris Karloff.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Yeah it's about time to watch Nightmare on Elm Street again. It's midnight and you're listening to KRGR...

Looks like the classics are covered, so for newer ones:

Feast

Cabin in the Woods

Slither (cheesy fun with Nathan Fillion)

The Babadook is freaky and weird. I recommend it if you haven't seen it yet.

User Tag List