Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beretta 98 Combat (9x21) - my latest edition

Beretta 98 Combat (9x21) - my latest edition

Latest edition to my collection of frame safety guns. @e_stern knows

That makes three factory guns currently in my safe (had a fourth I sold to another collector)

and a nice group of six inc a pair of 92 Stocks, top right pistol being a 92 Combat clone I got in trade (has a Novak rear and brass bead front I need to swap out to proper parts)

| 92 Centennial x 2 | 92-Stock Competition | 92 Combat x 2 |
    | 92 Brigadier Tactical | 92G-SD | 92 Elite II in 9mm, 9x21 and 357SIG |
    | CZ SP01 Shadow | CZ P-01 in ODG | CZ-97 | Walther P5 |
    | SIG/SAN 553R | SIG/SAN 553-Diopter | SIG/SAN 551-2 SP SWAT |

Beautiful collection. In the very last picture it looks like the 2 on the bottom are shooters. How hard would it be to get a D model slide and send it to LTT for a RDO conversion for one of them? Then add a Comp? That would be badass. Just sayin’

Question about the 98 - can a stock 9mm barrel be swapped out easily? A lot easier (normally) finding 9x19 than 9x21. Unless you’re set up to reload.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Beautiful collection. In the very last picture it looks like the 2 on the bottom are shooters. How hard would it be to get a D model slide and send it to LTT for a RDO conversion for one of them? Then add a Comp? That would be badass. Just sayin’

Question about the 98 - can a stock 9mm barrel be swapped out easily? A lot easier (normally) finding 9x19 than 9x21. Unless you’re set up to reload.
    I believe those above are brigadier slides and it's my understanding Ernest is not yet set up to cut those or d model slides at the moment.... unfortunately
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

That is just so slick. What’s the history of these?

You could just run a normal Vertec if you wanted to do an LTT RDO setup and a comp. The Stock setups are longer barrels with shrouds, not compensator chambers.

And yes, a 9mm barrel can be swapped in and used without hassle but believe it or not, 9x21 is cheaper than 9mm right now lol. You can have a 9mm barrel threaded and turned down to match the lockring assembly and run it in short config (which is basically what the DA/SA 92 Stock is) but of course the Combats are SAO. One of mine is actually a 'Combat Combo' which means it comes with a standard length threaded barrel to drop in and run in short config.

9x21 is the same OAL as 9mm so everything swaps over easily.
    | 92 Centennial x 2 | 92-Stock Competition | 92 Combat x 2 |
    | 92 Brigadier Tactical | 92G-SD | 92 Elite II in 9mm, 9x21 and 357SIG |
    | CZ SP01 Shadow | CZ P-01 in ODG | CZ-97 | Walther P5 |
    | SIG/SAN 553R | SIG/SAN 553-Diopter | SIG/SAN 551-2 SP SWAT |

Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post
    I believe those above are brigadier slides and it's my understanding Ernest is not yet set up to cut those or d model slides at the moment.... unfortunately
    That’s too bad because this top end work on a D centurion slide with this Jarvis Comp would be pretty awesome.

Name:  9C5F5BA6-F604-4D34-8BD2-A9771277EBCA.jpg
Views: 771
Size:  23.8 KB
    Name:  806989C9-C8DC-4215-8CBF-6BBD0A2DBC71.jpg
Views: 1099
Size:  19.1 KB

I would have run that as an open gun in USPSA in a heartbeat if it was doable back when I was shooting berettas.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

This is proof positive that Beretta pistols are more attractive and aesthetically pleasing to ones eyes without a rail. Kind of sad really that elegance is deemed inferior by the gun cultures hegemonic cabal. "Guns are tools and such tools must have facilities to work in every condition of twilight. No exceptions." said the man. 🤷🏻*♂️😝😁

I've never seen one of these in person, but they've interested me for a while. When you say they're SAO, does the trigger stay back when the hammer is down? What parts are missing from the fire control group to make it SAO?

Also, I notice that your pistols have Italian proof marks but US markings on the slides. Were these imported by Beretta? It looks like only a few hundred were imported, and all were model 92 or 96. I'm surprised to see a model 98.

That’s too bad because this top end work on a D centurion slide with this Jarvis Comp would be pretty awesome.

Name:  9C5F5BA6-F604-4D34-8BD2-A9771277EBCA.jpg
Views: 771
Size:  23.8 KB
    Name:  806989C9-C8DC-4215-8CBF-6BBD0A2DBC71.jpg
Views: 1099
Size:  19.1 KB

I would have run that as an open gun in USPSA in a heartbeat if it was doable back when I was shooting berettas.
    I got one of the 92x d models that dropped recently and would love to have it get the rdo treatment. I'd try the coming pmm comp as well. It didn't sound promising as something coming even remotely in the future though( the rdo cut for d slides)
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Super77 View Post
    That is just so slick. What’s the history of these?
    Here's a great link with information about this type. https://berettaforum.net/vb/showpost...12&postcount=5

In Italy, for example, pistols are categorized into "sporting" and "common" types. "Common" pistols are general combat-style handguns, and are more restricted that "sporting" types. Pistols with 6 inch barrels, adjustable sights, target grips, etc fall into the "sporting" category, so Beretta created the Combat and Target models with 6 inch barrels and target sights so that their duty style pistols could be more easily purchased for IPSC and similar action pistol shooting. Similarly, 9x19 is banned in Italy, so civilian shooters use 9x21 in place of it, though the model 96 in .40 was very popular in the past as a full sized round. Prior to sometime in the '90s civilian calibers were limited to .32 in semi-auto pistols. So you'll see Beretta model 98's in 7.65x19 Luger.

User Tag List