Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SRO on a G27 - Dumb Idea?

SRO on a G27 - Dumb Idea?

With the Gen 5 G27’s rolling out, I am seriously thinking of grabbing one, mounting an optic, and using that as my daily carry pistol. Based on extensive reading (mostly here), I keep coming back to the SRO. Questions. Is mounting one of the larger available optics on a small pistol like the G27 a dumb idea? Do we think a Holosun offering would be a better fit? 507 maybe? Direct mount or MOS?

This pistol would be a true EDC to be worn around my new, very rural place. It will be subject to all of the “abuse” that daily carry implies in a rural setting. (I do try to take care of my gear though.) The idea behind going G27 rather than G26 has two drivers. 1. There is a small population of black bears near my place so there is some small chance of the pistol coming into play there. (I get that a 9mm would probably do just as well, but...) 2. I expect that the .40 will provide plenty of gas for the KKM comp I plan to throw on the front of this thing and hopefully no fiddling with recoil spring weights to get to run with all ammo. So, moar powa’ with not a lot of recoil. (Again, pistols and “power” - I know, but I am trying to optimize over here).

I can run anything that I want for my retirement daily carry. Anything from a G34/35 to a G43X. The G27 with KKM comp seems like a sweet spot and I am hard-headed enough that I am probably doing it. But what about the optic? The rig will need to be adequately concealed when I go to town.

Oh, and to go off-topic in my own thread, I really like my 43X and use it for kicking around town. But, I have a lot more support gear and flexibility with Glocks that take their standard, double stack, mags. When push comes to shove, I reach for a standard frame Glock. I got put to the test several months ago when I thought I was going to have to haul ass up the road 10 hours away on about 10 minutes notice. When I cracked open the safe to grab a handgun for that trip, I reached, without hesitation, for the 19X - largely due to having a good stash of mags for it stored in my vehicle. So as much as I like the little gun for convenience, I find myself going for a standard Glock as the potential for bad things going on increases to any degree.
    Last edited by Tensaw; 10-17-2020 at 06:40 AM.

I’m looking at putting together an optic equipped 26, and briefly considered a SRO - I ended up moving on to smaller optics, though. (What I really want isn’t made, a smallish high quality closed emitter RDS like a mini ACRO.) I’m curious to see what way you end up going here because it will help me decide.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Eh if nothing else give it a shot for grins and giggles. I think such a big optic would kinda defeat the purpose of running such a small gun and could enhance printing (possibly). Myself I’d probably stick with a Holosun 507C or 507K.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

I just can’t get excited over Holosun...
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Jagerwerks did a G26.5 with an SRO.

Now the question is, since the G26 MOS is on the horizon, is the G27 MOS coming close behind it?
    --Jason--

I carried a 26 with a red dot for a while. Really liked it. Moved on to the 365 in that role but I would have no problem recommending it.

I would do something other than an SRO and would particularly consider the 507K/407K since they're small enough to likely co-witness with standard sights.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    With the Gen 5 G27’s rolling out, I am seriously thinking of grabbing one, mounting an optic, and using that as my daily carry pistol. Based on extensive reading (mostly here), I keep coming back to the SRO. Questions. Is mounting one of the larger available optics on a small pistol like the G27 a dumb idea? Do we think a Holosun offering would be a better fit? 507 maybe? Direct mount or MOS?

This pistol would be a true EDC to be worn around my new, very rural place. It will be subject to all of the “abuse” that daily carry implies in a rural setting. (I do try to take care of my gear though.) The idea behind going G27 rather than G26 has two drivers. 1. There is a small population of black bears near my place so there is some small chance of the pistol coming into play there. (I get that a 9mm would probably do just as well, but...) 2. I expect that the .40 will provide plenty of gas for the KKM comp I plan to throw on the front of this thing and hopefully no fiddling with recoil spring weights to get to run with all ammo. So, moar powa’ with not a lot of recoil. (Again, pistols and “power” - I know, but I am trying to optimize over here).

I can run anything that I want for my retirement daily carry. Anything from a G34/35 to a G43X. The G27 with KKM comp seems like a sweet spot and I am hard-headed enough that I am probably doing it. But what about the optic? The rig will need to be adequately concealed when I go to town.

Oh, and to go off-topic in my own thread, I really like my 43X and use it for kicking around town. But, I have a lot more support gear and flexibility with Glocks that take their standard, double stack, mags. When push comes to shove, I reach for a standard frame Glock. I got put to the test several months ago when I thought I was going to have to haul ass up the road 10 hours away on about 10 minutes notice. When I cracked open the safe to grab a handgun for that trip, I reached, without hesitation, for the 19X - largely due to having a good stash of mags for it stored in my vehicle. So as much as I like the little gun for convenience, I find myself going for a standard Glock as the potential for bad things going on increases to any degree.
    Glock will be releasing MOS versions of the G22 and G23.

I think putting an optic the size of the SRO on a G27 would be inefficient.

Keep in mind .that the new GEN five guns have a wider slide similar to the 45 get models and may not fit your existing Glock holsters

If you are set on the SRO I would get an MOS G23. If you were set on the G 27 I would look at a smaller optic like in RMR or an ACRO.

I don't care for .40 S&W in a G23, so a G27 is completely unattractive to me. But hey, to each their own.

While the SRO display is so much larger than a RMR, it carries nearly as small as a RMR because the mass of the SRO is at the belt line.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    I don't care for .40 S&W in a G23, so a G27 is completely unattractive to me. But hey, to each their own.
    Have you shot the Gen 5 ? The slide is heavier that prior Glock 40s . Similar to the difference between an HKVP9 and HKVP 40. It’s only a couple ounces but it makes a noticeable difference. Plus the OPM is talking about adding a comp. Comps in 9 mm work best with plus PMO so a comp and 40 should theoretically be more effective than a comp on a nine.

User Tag List