Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Battery Life and Battery Type

The new packaging:
    Name:  bitter.JPG
Views: 917
Size:  54.7 KB

https://www.duracell.com/en-us/techn...attery-safety/

From a sports gadget website:

Apparently, Quarq power meters don’t like bad tasting batteries any more than young children. Quarq sent out a service announcement last night indicating that Duracell’s new so-called “bitter batteries”, which have a bitter tasting coating to deter young children from putting them in their mouths, can cause issues with the company’s power meters.

Specifically, the CR2032 batteries can cause the LED to not function, cadence and power dropouts (including for extended periods of time), as well as the unit failing to wake up or pair. In other words, basically any type of failure you could conceive of, these batteries probably caused it. About the only symptom not on the list would be ‘power meter explodes’.

Duracell started shipping the new bitter coated batteries on their CR2032, CR2025, and CR2016 batteries this past September. So, if you happen to pick one of those up, beware it will probably dork with your power meter. And realistically, if Quarq is figuring this out – I’m going to take a guess other sensor companies won’t be far behind. It’s simply more likely that power meter users, being the typical Type-A personalities we are, are more likely to notice quirky things than those coming off heart rate straps or other sensor types.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2020/11/...5-updates.html

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Trey,

Is that similar to the various flavors of crayon??

Thanks for your information on this - I've forwarded to our tech folks for their information. Thanks for the Costco 2032 tip also. Let me know if you have any other useful findings on this or if I can help any of you or your guys.
    I’m not sure... I asked one of my Marine partners and he tried to eat a battery to compare so I gave up on that avenue of pseudo-scientific exploration. (Haha)

That said, two bitter Duracells (from Costco) are in two Aimpoints to compare.

Overall, I’m pretty impressed with the Aimpoints on max with the Duracells.

When we tested the Trijicon SRO it lasted something like 21 days (I’ll have to look it up and check for sure) in locked in max with the factory Energizer battery. That’s comparable to what we saw with the Aimpoints. My Glock’s SRO with factory battery was installed on July 14 and died on Sept 10. Duracell was installed on that day and is still running so we can see how long that goes as well.

I'm interested to see the results for the Costco bitter batteries... I snagged a pack last time I was there, planning to keep a few around in reserve for my Aimpoint's/MRO's.

I’ve been running one of the “bitter” Duracells in an SRO (1 MOA) since mid September. It has been fine for a Gunsite 499, a Gunsite range day, and the Gunsite alumni shoot, as well as daily dry fire practice and a couple of dozen range runs, most all with full sunlight and a cranked-up dot.

No objective difference in performance with that particular battery, so far. But I won’t be happy if this turns out to be “a thing” with these, having just bought a couple of six-packs.

Non-bitter Duracell’s are at 75 days. They are dim, and one is getting dim like the Energizers before they died. I’m actually annoyed they’re lasting so long because I’m still trying to check them at least twice a day. I’m going out of town for a week and they have to come along with the paperwork, multimeter and such.

The two bitter batteries are still “very” bright. It’s only been 9+ days so there’s much to be seen, but I’m going to leave them behind in my trip because if they’re dead when I get back next Sat after 17 days we have our answer. I’m hoping to find them still going strong.

The bitter batteries are going strong at 19 days. They still have the bright halo around the edge of the window when viewed indoors, so I expect them to go for a while longer. Going way back to September, the first Energizer died at 19 days and the rest followed suit quickly and the last one died at 23 days. The two optics being used for the bitter batteries are the two optics that had the lowest run time with the Energizers, so at least there's consistency there and the bitter batteries are clearly going to out-perform the Energizers.

As for the original Duracell batteries in the four optics... they're all still going. One is still very dim and much dimmer than the rest, but they are all hanging on here at day # 85. We're at an average of around four times the run time of the Energizers and Ikea batteries.

I installed a bitter battery in my main training 1 MOA SRO tonight just to see how it works in variable current-draw (I usually have it on high at work and it gets dimmed pretty low when I dry fire at home indoors) but I won't be tracking it like the current test.

Oh yea... I licked it too. It is indeed bitter.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    Oh yea... I licked it too. It is indeed bitter.
    Thanks for the updates!

I think this Duracell “bitter battery” “issue” can be put to bed in the context of RDS use. Aside from the one supposed issue with a bike power meter, I can’t find any evidence of issues with any other devices, and so far they are performing perfectly fine in all my RDS.

Quick Update:

The original four Duracells are still going on day # 113. One is very dim, but still going, and the others aren't bright, but don't look like their near death. This test is now more of an annoyance than anything (die already!!!) but it's going to be part of a report, so I want to be thorough. I did take out all the batteries last week and checked them on the multimeter. If memory serves they were all around 1.75 -1.85ish volts after giving them a few minutes to rebound from the current load. The dim one was a little less than the others. When the Energizer and Ikea batteries died they were down between 1.3 and 1.4ish.

The two bitter Duracell batteries are on day 46 and seem to be just a bit lower brightness than the other Duracells at that time (based on looking at my old posts). They are still bright enough to see indoors, but outdoors are very hard to see except in shaded areas. They are still brighter than the other Duracell batteries, which have been sort of stable for a long time now. At this point though, I've had the batteries out in the cold garage and it's been in the 30's in the mornings, so that may have something to do with it. The bitter batteries have certainly shown better performance than other brands tested, so I'm confident in them... that said... still gotta see how it all pans out for that report. I just brought them inside and will check again tomorrow to see if warmer temperature changes anything.

User Tag List