Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Battery Life and Battery Type

Everything still going at day 117 and 51 respectively.

Went to COSTCO this morning and thankfully there wasn’t a crazy line like last time. The Duracell 2032s are on sale for $8.99 a 12-pack which, with tax, comes out to around $0.80 per battery. I think that’s a pretty good deal.

In non-pistol optic news I also grabbed a 3-pack of Duracell 600 lumen work lights for $19.99. I’m keeping two at home for power outage illumination and putting one in our motor home which I use as a personal locker room at work and stay in during work layovers. Not to sound too much like a Duracell shill (I’m more of a light nerd so I’m a sucker for light stuff) but I’d been using my Streamlight Seige AA lantern in the motor home when I didn’t want to turn everything on just to change in the morning and while I like it, this Duracell will replace it.

The light is a more “warm” LED which I really like and it takes three AA batteries like the Seige. It puts out 600 lumens on high and usable light on low, which is cool and beats the 360 degree 200 lumens of the Siege by far. The Seige seems stronger and that’s one of the reasons (along with 360 degree illumination) why I’ll keep it as an emergency light.

From what my wife tells me, COSTCOs in different areas can have different pricing and availability, but I think this stuff is worth checking out.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    Everything still going at day 117 and 51 respectively.

Went to COSTCO this morning and thankfully there wasn’t a crazy line like last time. The Duracell 2032s are on sale for $8.99 a 12-pack which, with tax, comes out to around $0.80 per battery. I think that’s a pretty good deal.

In non-pistol optic news I also grabbed a 3-pack of Duracell 600 lumen work lights for $19.99. I’m keeping two at home for power outage illumination and putting one in our motor home which I use as a personal locker room at work and stay in during work layovers. Not to sound too much like a Duracell shill (I’m more of a light nerd so I’m a sucker for light stuff) but I’d been using my Streamlight Seige AA lantern in the motor home when I didn’t want to turn everything on just to change in the morning and while I like it, this Duracell will replace it.

The light is a more “warm” LED which I really like and it takes three AA batteries like the Seige. It puts out 600 lumens on high and usable light on low, which is cool and beats the 360 degree 200 lumens of the Siege by far. The Seige seems stronger and that’s one of the reasons (along with 360 degree illumination) why I’ll keep it as an emergency light.

From what my wife tells me, COSTCOs in different areas can have different pricing and availability, but I think this stuff is worth checking out.
    SCD is this the Dura you speak of > https://www.costco DOT com/duracell-600-lumen-worklight%2C-3-pack.product.100664991.html

Quote Originally Posted by OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor View Post
    SCD is this the Dura you speak of > https://www.costco DOT com/duracell-600-lumen-worklight%2C-3-pack.product.100664991.html
    Yep... that’s it.

Update...

One of the original Duracell batteries died on January 2nd. That makes about 124-125 days.

The rest are still going. Originals are at 137 days and the bitter batteries are at 71 days.

The dead battery was at a 1.40v charge a few minutes after removal which is consistent with the dead voltage of the other brand batteries.

My HL Pro earmuff amplification quit in the course of a match last week. I thought the batteries had lasted well.
    I opened it up and found the Duracell AAAs heavily corroded.
    Wire brush and solvent cleaned up the battery compartment and the electronics still work with fresh (Rayovac) batteries.

Failure of major big brag name brand batteries was disquieting. I will have to set a schedule to look inside even if it hasn't lost power. l
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    My HL Pro earmuff amplification quit in the course of a match last week. I thought the batteries had lasted well.
    I opened it up and found the Duracell AAAs heavily corroded.
    Wire brush and solvent cleaned up the battery compartment and the electronics still work with fresh (Rayovac) batteries.

Failure of major big brag name brand batteries was disquieting. I will have to set a schedule to look inside even if it hasn't lost power. l
    While Duracell is by far the better 2032 choice, Energizer Lithium or NiMH rechargeable batteries (such as Eneloops or the Ikea white color Ladda batteries) beat any alkaline in a AA or AAA format. They don't leak and the Lithiums will last longer in storage. The NiMHs can be recharged which saves money. I won't use alkaline batteries in anything that I would feel bad being destroyed by corrosion.

In devices that can support them, Li-Ion batteries offer superior performance, but will likely damage devices designed for 1.5v standard AA or AAA batteries - especially when used in multiples. Speaking of multiples... If you don't know what you're doing with Li-Ion batteries in multi-battery devices... then just don't. They provide efficient power but basically become explosive chemical bombs when charged and/or discharged wrong.

I just picked up some Energizer "Ultimate Lithium" AAs today for use in a 450 lumen Eagletac 2 x AA flashlight.

Thanks. I'll get some "ultimate lithium" because I don't use battery power enough to warrant rechargeables.
    I was looking at pinup lights to illuminate my way to the reloading room. Some with built in rechargeables. Dumb, have to take the light down to recharge it.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Three of the four original Duracells are still going, though two of them are very near death. We're on day 209.

I stopped the testing of the bitter Duracell batteries after they lasted 125 days (longer than the first Duracell that died) since the point was proven that they performed comperably to the original Duracells being tested. I don't have the paperwork in front of me for ending voltage information, but they still had juice to spare.

I had to give up two of the eight optics to be mounted on patrol rifles, but once the Duracells die I'll be ready for another test. Three Panasonics and three Renatas will go into the six remaining optics to see how they do.

Now I'm curious if the performance in the CR1632 platform follows a similar pattern. I'm going to make some phone calls and see if I can get some optics to test.

Anecdote not data. Several weeks ago I got a 365XL and 507K at the LGS. Installed the battery in the Holosun box. Tonight, the reticle in this new optic started blinking. Tested it and it showed near zero. Replaced it with a Renata. Unfortunately I didn’t test the new battery, so I am unsure whether I stated with a flat battery or my optic has a high draw.

BTW, I have Renata batteries made in Switzerland, some made in China, and others made in another Asian country. My Duracell say made in China.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Just pulled the Renata 1632 out of my wife’s 507K on her 365XL. Battery tester says near zero percent, so we changed it. Both of us have been using circle dot for EDC, and these K optics only have manual, no auto, so I am thinking the combination of manual and circle dot is sucking power.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List