Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Battery Life and Battery Type

Battery Life and Battery Type

Eight Aimpoint H-2 optics.

I installed Energizer batteries (I bought them from Target a couple days before the test) in four of them.

I installed Duracell batteries (I ordered them from Battery Junction several months prior and they spent many days in hot car trunks and various conditions over the summer prior to the test) in the other four.

All optics were turned to full brightness (setting 12).

The four Energizers died between approximately 18 - 23 days. I happened to be in an IKEA a day or so after the last one died and noticed the made in China 2032s they carried. I installed them in the four optics that had the Energizers and they lasted between 16 - 21 days. All eight optics have been kept together in the same environmental conditions.

Oh yea... Those Duracells. They are still going. It’s been 45 days.

I know which battery I’m using and recommending.

Great info thank you. Also Surefire cr123 batteries from Amazon are pretty much crap given they have a 10 year life, I went through my new ones and all of them were dead. This may be through the vendors amazon sells from so just a heads up.

in contrast Streamlight cr123 from amazon have been great and perfect ..ymmv

Just had a similar experience. I'd purchased 10 Energizers from Amazon, as well as a 4 pack from a local retailer. Only use these in 2 devices, a Holosun 403C RDS and a small motion sensor light next to my wife's bed. Was blaming the devices for being battery hogs, as they both needed batteries AGAIN. Got a little smarter this time and pulled out my battery checker. Had 5 of the ones from Amazon left, and 1 from the 4 pack, ALL were basically dead in the package. I'd stick them in the tester, it would go to full power, then immediately drop to zero within 2-3 seconds. Like you, I'm switching to Duracells. Did email a complaint to Energizer.com, but I'm not holding my breath . Later.

Dave

Site Supporter
    One time, I sent dead Energizer batteries back to Energizer and they sent me coupons for free ones. It was a few bucks for the shipping and bubble envelope. I used the coupons to buy lithium AA/AAA batteries.
    --Jason--

Hi everyone,

The Duracell’s are still going. They are clearly dimmer than in the beginning but useable in all but bright daylight.

Of course, this test, while fairly consistent (using 8 Aimpoint H-2 optics), there could be variation in results based on the amount of current draw, whether the battery is used to power frequent bursts of energy vs a consistent drain, and environmental factors which weren’t really tested. That said I think it’s clear that Duracell out-performs by a significant measure.

I also found Costco has 12-packs of Duracell 2032 batteries. I forget how much they were but I think it made them relatively inexpensive compared to general retail prices and probably worth checking out.

Are you using the new "bitter coating" Duracell batteries? I've had problems with them in my bike power meters, and I realize this is not a firearm but it's an interesting data point. SRAM (manufacturer of the Quarq power meters), sent this update via email:

Battery compatibility notice
    The newest Duracell CR2032 batteries are not compatible with SRAM and Quarq power meters.

Use of a Duracell battery with a bitter coating ring will result in symptoms similar to a drained or low battery.

These could include:

No wake or pairing possible
    Loss of combined cadence and power for extended periods
    No LED function

Duracell 2032 Lithium Coin Battery with Bitter Coating - bitter coating ring added as a swallowing deterrent.

That is interesting information! Hopefully it’s a specific compatibility issue with that equipment and not a diminished performance overall. I have some of the new bitter batteries and can probably get away with installing them in the other four Aimpoints. Maybe I’ll do that tomorrow and we’ll see how it goes.

I will check tomorrow morning when I get to work to see if the ones in the optics already are the bitter coated ones. I bought them in probably April from Battery Junction and the 2032s I have that I ordered in September or October are the bitter batteries.

I just busted open a 10 pack of CR123 Energizers a few days ago. Already depleted one and from the jump my light had noticeably less output. Won't be buying anymore. Back to Panasonics or Streamlights for me.

Not sure if the batteries in the Aimpoints have the bitter taste. I don’t know if there’s anything visible that would indicate they have it and I don’t think these do. In fact, I only think my newest batteries from Costco have it.
    Last edited by SoCalDep; 11-05-2020 at 10:06 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    Not sure if the batteries in the Aimpoints have the bitter taste. I don’t know if there’s anything visible that would indicate they have it and I don’t think these do. In fact, I only think my newest batteries from Costco have it.
    Trey,

Is that similar to the various flavors of crayon??

Thanks for your information on this - I've forwarded to our tech folks for their information. Thanks for the Costco 2032 tip also. Let me know if you have any other useful findings on this or if I can help any of you or your guys.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

User Tag List