Thread: Any departments fielding/approving Sig Romeo minis?

Question Any departments fielding/approving Sig Romeo minis?

(I tried a search but my google fu is weak. I need to get back to the dojo.)

Amongst our LE brethren and sistren here, have any of your respective departments fielded or approved any of the Sig Romeo mini red dots for duty use on handguns?

Follow-ups: Which model on what host? How have they held up to duty use? Have you had any noteable issues? Were any other manufacturers/models in the running or authorized?

A Sig Romeo appears to be the frontrunner for reasons only a bean counter or brand loyalist could appreciate.

If you'd rather not discuss in a public forum or need to vet, please PM me.
    Last edited by SamueL; 10-15-2020 at 08:23 PM. Reason: hukt awn fonix wurkt fur mee

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SamueL View Post
    (I tried a search but my google fu is weak. I need to get back to the dojo.)

Amongst our LE brethren and sistren here, have any of your respective departments fielded or approved any of the Sig Romeo mini red dots for duty use on handguns?

Follow-ups: Which model on what host? How have they held up to duty use? Have you had any noteable issues? Were any other manufacturers/models in the running or authorized?

A Sig Romeo appears to be the frontrunner for reasons only a bean counter or brand loyalist could appreciate.

If you'd rather not discuss in a public forum or need to vet, please PM me.
    When you say “mini” do you mean the Romeo Zero slim slide / micro size or do you mean SIG Romeo pistol optics in general such as the Roneo1 PRO ?

The Romeo1 PRO is the third generation of SIG duty pistol optic and it seems the third time is the charm.

The Romeo1 PRO is one of the 3 optics currently approved by the LA County Sheriffs Department (10k sworn). @SoCalDeputy can speak to how it’s doing these.

US ICE (15k sworn) has been testing pistol optics since 2016. We are currently in the last stage of a pilot program involving Romeo1 PROs issued to ICE SRT teams on a P320f with the factory PRO cut. there have been no optics failures so far despite three of the guns being deadlines due to ejector damage from over inserting magazines.

On a smaller scale, I just put 900ish rounds through a SIG 320 RXP Carry with factory mounted Romeo1 PRO in a Modern Samurai Project 2 day RDS Pistol class without issue.

SIG claims the Romeo1 PRO uses the DPP footprint which is only partially true. If you wanted to mount a Romeo1 PRO on a Glock MOS C&H precision makes a V4 MOS plate for the Romeo1PRO.
    Last edited by HCM; 10-15-2020 at 10:07 PM.

Hey everyone,

First, thanks HCM for the heads up. Our pistol-optic program is young but we’re working to get as much information as possible to help ours and other agencies’ programs run smoother. I’ve been tracking lots of data, and I’m hoping to be able to compile it into something that is probably too long and really boring, but hopefully valuable to those starting a program in various sized agencies.

All that said, we only have a handful of Romeo 1PROs being used. That’s not because it’s a bad optic. It’s because we authorize Sig classic pistols but not the P320, and there are no duty holsters currently authorized for optic-equipped Sig classic pistols. Of the few being used I’m aware of no problems or failures except for a V3 CHPWS plate that failed (don’t blame them - not sure if user error and there’s lots of potential for user error with optic installation) and allowed for a 1PRO to bounce off the shooter and off the floor a couple times. Another 1PRO got bounced off a rock (working a quick draw that was maybe too quick and the optic found the only big rock on the range) and it shifted a couple inches at 25 yards. A quick adjustment and it worked great until the user messed up his knee and went out injured.

I think it is worth adding that one of our guys who works our rescue helicopter (probably the coolest thing about my department) has been carrying a Sig pistol and optic for a couple years off and on while deploying in the helicopter. This includes being lowered for rescues and it gets banged around a lot. He’s very happy with it which is a pretty solid endorsement.

My experience with Sig optics was a Sig red dot instructor course with one of their demo pistols equipped with an original Romeo 1. It worked really well... with the exception that one draw the shake-awake didn’t work. I slapped the gun (probably not the best immediate action drill) and it started working. I do have a RomeoZERO and so far it’s actually worked really well but I’ve only put a couple hundred rounds through it and I’m suspicious of the durability. A Holosun 407K is in my future there.

Even though my department doesn’t authorize the P320, I’m seeing how popular it is becoming, especially in the Bay Area of CA and in several smaller departments, and I’ll probably pick one up... it will certainly have a Romeo 1PRO and I don’t expect any problems with it. We already have a couple instructors who have been running them on the range with positive results.

Oh yea - ETA - We originally authorized three optics... the RMR, ACRO, and Romeo 1PRO. We now authorize the SRO as well and probably a couple more brands soon.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    Hey everyone,

Even though my department doesn’t authorize the P320, I’m seeing how popular it is becoming, especially in the Bay Area of CA and in several smaller departments, and I’ll probably pick one up...
    You might want to read through this thread before deciding on a P320 purchase: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....hlight=lawsuit

I was tempted to get one to play with due to their popularity, but not now.

@HCM @SoCalDep

Thanks for your input gentlemen.

Looks like I'll be trying to track down a P320 to get out ahead of the transition.

User Tag List