Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Extended arms (not locked) vs Bent Arms

For years (and years and years) I shot with strong arm straight, support arm bent in that Methusalah era push/pull grip. Within the last few years I've adopted elbows moderately to slightly bent and rotated upward which creates a torquing vise on the pistol. Kinda weird at first, but far less fatiguing or jarring now that I have fully adapted to the switch. Pistol seems to drop back on target better for me.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

I think that I have always shot with bent arms, because the academy instructors would stop behind me, reach out, and push my elbows inward. Of course, that would cause my overly-flexible elbows to hyperextend, bent inward, so they gave up and stopped trying to correct me. A “modified isosceles” was the stance being used/taught. I was one of the “better” shooters, so they spent more time with the struggling shooters. (This was with DA revolvers, which were new, to me, so, I was learning. My very limited pre-academy handgunning had been with a 1911, shot with a self-taught Weaver.)

On a practical level, my arms have always trembled, if my elbows were straight, whether elbows-locked, or not.

I hate to think what I would have done to my elbows, if I had shot with straight arms, when I was messing about with big-bore Magnums, from 1984-1989.

Plus, a straight, unyielding elbow might have forced my now-wrecked right wrist to have absorbed even more punishment, from those big-bore Mags.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

YVK and I were discussing this tonight. He was looking at videos of Max Michel and Christian Sailor and both seem to always have bent legs but fully extended arms. I just went and looked at a video of Ben Stoeger shooting a stage at the class I had with him this summer, and his arms are fully extended. No turtle or hyper extension but definitely fully extended.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Bob Vogel and Jerry Miculek shoot with bent arms. Also Lena Miculek, his daughter. I suppose for the average Joe, good female shooters are good role models, since they are normally not very strong and must really have good technique.

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    The imagery helps
    One more psycho trick:
    Put the arms in front of you as if you were holding a pistol. Walk against a wall (or even run, don't overdo it). Look at your arms right before collision. Copy this position when shooting. Mine are bent, elbows up and quite at the outside. Also legs are bent in the knees. Use this imagery when shooting.

More imageries:
    How firm should you grip a pistol? As firm as you grip a hammer.
    Jerry Miculek told an imagery: When holding a pistol with both hands in front of you, imagine that you want to push a vertical pole into the ground. Helps against muzzle rise. (I want to link the video here later.)
    Last edited by P30; 10-18-2020 at 03:29 AM.

What helps me a lot in controlling the pistol and shooting faster, is a drill from this video:

What I mean starts a 9:50. It's resetting the trigger and putting the sights back on target after the shot as fast as possible. Only with one shot. Helps me better than Bill drills. Later in the training session, I increase the number of shots in the drill.
    Last edited by P30; 10-18-2020 at 03:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by P30 View Post
    I suppose for the average Joe, good female shooters are good role models, since they are normally not very strong and must really have good technique.
    I agree, I've thought along the same lines. Not only in shooting but in other sports where good technique beats raw strength. Not looking just at ladies, but kids, teens etc.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I agree, I've thought along the same lines. Not only in shooting but in other sports where good technique beats raw strength. Not looking just at ladies, but kids, teens etc.
    Very true in rock climbing where (in the past) women ordinarily didn't rely on trying to muscle their way up a pitch. Nowadays, some of the women are (probably) stronger than the men, so maybe not as prevalent.

I think a lot also has to do with our own individual body mechanics as well...I know I have issues related to shoulder injuries from climbing / mountaineering that make certain positions uncomfortable, or drawing from certain positions as well.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

I've been following along with interest. I've recently been experimenting at the square range with straightening out my support arm, and it seems to me to shrink my static groups. I had done a match a week ago and I was pondering how I shot...when it occurred to me that I have some match video. This static image is from about the middle of the match, shooting through a barrel at a target maybe 7 yards away. It looks like I'm almost fully extended, with my arms slightly up. Also I guess I stick my tongue out lol.

Name:  Screenshot from 2020-10-18 13-47-51.png
Views: 868
Size:  97.9 KB

Bob Vogel and Jerry Miculek shoot with bent arms. Also Lena Miculek, his daughter.
    I've found the following video with Lena Miculek. Her arms at 0:39 are a bit less bent than I remembered, but they are also not fully extended.

Below the video in YouTube, there is a link to the great video in which Jerry explains recoil control (the thing with the pole that I've mentioned above).

PS:
    In the following video screenshot, her arms are notable bent. Also the low center of gravity is very notable. Her stronger father uses a higher center of gravity, but I suppose ten or more years ago, he recommended her a low center of gravity. Also note the two fingers pulling at the front of the trigger guard (I don't do that).

Name:  Lena Miculek.jpg
Views: 1106
Size:  69.8 KB
    Last edited by P30; 10-18-2020 at 02:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Very true in rock climbing where (in the past) women ordinarily didn't rely on trying to muscle their way up a pitch.
    Tennis is my fav analogy. Like in shooting, equipment matters and does provide some help, but you can't buy the technique. You see slender women hit serves around 100 mph and pre-teens crush the ball, and of course teens have been competing on par with adults for some time, and you get the idea.

Name:  Lena Miculek.jpg
Views: 1106
Size:  69.8 KB
    Holy shit, not just one finger on the trigger guard but two. If one is unorthodox, what do we call two, ununorthodox?
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

User Tag List