Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Extended arms (not locked) vs Bent Arms

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Arms isn't the only thing involved in how far to press out. Grip and wrist angle is a big part of it as well. I've seen some shooters so focused on full extension that they were losing their support hand grip almost every shot. To me you've got to have it compressed at least enough to keep that wrap and pressure with the support hand.
    Theres a video of Daniel Shaw on youtube with a solution to this Milking Problem.

Sent from my SM-P205 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Here's a good video that shows what I consider bent vs straight on a shared screen. This isn't the most bent I've seen JJ do.

https://youtu.be/tqPkhbJaSg0
    Based on that video I'd say we're arguing over how many angels can bend their elbows on the head of a pin, since both of them appear to me to be running "bent" arms more or less.

Could be semantics. Max looks like he is extending his arms here, but others may think they are bent.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

My index is more precise when I extend my arms. I do not rotate my shoulders or come near locking the elbows because that causes tension, muzzle dip, and makes my transitions more difficult.

I found that I can get away with more bent arms when shooting my CO gun, and had to work hard on not doing that. With the dot, I can shoot with more bent arms and clean up the sight picture very easily without losing time. It took me a while to figure out why shooting the dot was making my iron sights shooting worse. The slightly higher sight position of the dot does affect my index. It's a small difference but noticeable. My arms want to end up more bent to keep the dot in the the middle of the window. Now, I do the same thing with both systems.

I don't find any significant difference in recoil control (returning the gun), shooting minor. Wrist tension is the main thing that reduces flip for me.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I think you need to figure this out for yourself. The goal is to hold the pistol so you can be aggressive on the trigger, make the gun return in a repeatable way, and shoot fast splits. Different shooters are going to do different things with different guns to accomplish this.
    ^^^^ I don't even know what we're discussing anymore... Especially after GJM posted this, like the 3rd post in, and I think it really hits the nail on the head. ^^^

The arm position is circumstantial to how the sights are perceived, how the person is moving/not moving/etc. Focusing on the arms is looking at the outcome without taking into consideration the fundamental. Interestingly, I think this Miyamoto Musashi quote is apt:

"Generally speaking, fixation and binding are to be avoided, in both the sword and the hand. Fixation is the way to death, fluidity is the way to life. This is something that should be well understood."

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    Based on that video I'd say we're arguing over how many angels can bend their elbows on the head of a pin, since both of them appear to me to be running "bent" arms more or less.
    You're probably right.

What do you think about this pendejo's elbows, straight or more or less bent?

https://youtu.be/PwlJKh6Wf54
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Name:  bent elbows.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  41.8 KB

Based on the line from your wrist to elbow and the different line from your elbow to your shoulder, I'd say bent. Not as bent as JJ, about the same as Max.

This was always my idea of bent elbows.

Name:  E7E03659-307E-497F-A120-DF3805272EE4.jpeg
Views: 267
Size:  61.9 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    This was always my idea of bent elbows.

Name:  E7E03659-307E-497F-A120-DF3805272EE4.jpeg
Views: 267
Size:  61.9 KB
    Yep, those are some bent elbows.

With this thread, I'm scientifically analytically curiosity piqued. Time to break out the goniometer.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

And what the heck is the good Colonel holding in that pic?

User Tag List