Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Extended arms (not locked) vs Bent Arms

Extended arms (not locked) vs Bent Arms

Which way to go? For the sake of Consistency.
    Pros and cons of each variant?
    Noticed that some great shooters like JJ Racaza, R Leatham, koonig, Travis Haley etc. Started with extended arms and now are shooting with Bent Arms?
    Thanks.

Sent from my SM-P205 using Tapatalk

Following.

I think you need to figure this out for yourself. The goal is to hold the pistol so you can be aggressive on the trigger, make the gun return in a repeatable way, and shoot fast splits. Different shooters are going to do different things with different guns to accomplish this.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I've played with it. I practice bending in certain situations that force you to bend, like sometimes barricades, low ports, leans etc. I also slightly bend in, or at least try not to forget to do it, when I shoot a dot, but not irons, on a move. Static stuff, I fully extend. I find that it gives me a better consistency in presentation, better control, and better follow through.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by Packy View Post
    Noticed that some great shooters like JJ Racaza, R Leatham, koonig, Travis Haley etc. Started with extended arms and now are shooting with Bent Arms?
    Thanks.

My arm position is between your two positions, as is my wife’s, although she has more bend than me — so there are probably many variations.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Elbow issues with folks like Rob Leatham and longevity issues are what give me pause and consider yes there is the nod to clock performance. But, doing things fast/best but maybe not anatomically best long term makes me think it may be best to learn to do slightly bent.

Your guys thoughts?
    God Bless,

Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    E

Your guys thoughts?
    Most of "elbow" issues are tendinitis of proximal tendons of muscles that work the wrist / grip. I would think that bending elbows would not affect that. That said, if somebody has developed a true elbow arthritis from shooting, then maybe yes.
    Last edited by YVK; 10-17-2020 at 01:17 AM.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Packy View Post
    Thanks.

The first difference I noticed between your two pictures is actually not the arms them selves but that the guy with the locked out elbows is doing a tactical turtle and looking at the target through the top part of his vision instead of straight on through the center of his vision. As Jerry Miculek would say he is not keeping his face flat.

For dynamic shooting, especially coming from the draw I prefer Bent arms. If you draw to fully extended arms I find the momentum causes a little “bounce” which actually slows me down.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    My arm position is between your two positions, as is my wife’s, although she has more bend than me — so there are probably many variations.
    With your variant, Does recoil travel with your elbows or shoulders?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The first difference I noticed between your two pictures is actually not the arms them selves but that the guy with the locked out elbows is doing a tactical turtle and looking at the target through the top part of his vision instead of straight on through the center of his vision. As Jerry Miculek would say he is not keeping his face flat.

For dynamic shooting, especially coming from the draw I prefer Bent arms. If you draw to fully extended arms I find the momentum causes a little “bounce” which actually slows me down.
    That guy doing tactical turtle is Travis Haley from his Magpul Days. 2nd Pix is him now doing bent elbows.

Travis Haley changed his shooting I think when he collaborated with the late great Ron Avery.

User Tag List