Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Holster noise

Try baby powder.

When leather creaks/squeaks, I use baby powder to quiet it down. Seems to work okay with kydex too (as long as you don't mind a bit of baby powder on your gun).

Squeeze some inside the holster and then shake it vigorously, you just need a light coating to quiet the pop. Imagine looking inside a black holster and seeing a thin white veneer over it. It just provides a dry lubricant for helping slide things a long, without being particularly abrasive. (Makes sens, no? What's it for if not for helping prevent rashes by helping displace moisture and reduce chaffing...)

If it isn't to your liking, just wash the holster out in the sink.

I had a group request fixed retention holsters with minimized draw / insertion noise.

There's a spray lube called Jig-a-Loo that will help reduce the pop on a kydex / boltaron holster. It's cheap and lasts fairly well.
    Last edited by Old Man Winter; 10-14-2020 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 36trap View Post
    I had a group request fixed retention holsters with minimized draw / insertion noise.

There's a spray lube called Jig-a-Loo that will help reduce the pop on a kydex / boltaron holster. It's cheap and lasts fairly well.
    I'd try food grade silicone oil, not very much.

https://www.amazon.com/Grade-Silicon...dp/B07QN8RY8M/
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    If you're drawing, you're not actually trying to be stealthy, no?
    Covert draws can be a thing.

https://www.thetacticalwire.com/features/231577

Skill Set: Covert Draw

Drawing the pistol is normally a dynamic action, rapidly presenting the pistol into a ready position or on the target. Equally important, but often overlooked, is the ability to "covertly" draw the pistol. The quickest draw is to already have the pistol in hand when it's needed. When you see questionable actions - and time permits - it might be a good idea to go ahead and draw, secretly getting the pistol in hand without anyone noticing it.

This thread title made me remember my Sam Browne days with leather holster, radio case, cuff case, belt keepers, pepper spray holster and baton holder. Ah, the sound of creaking leather! Thanks for the memory jog.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Ok, how about this?

Dude (I stress this does not refer to Our Esteemed Leader aka "the dude" or "his dudeness" or even "El Duderino" since I am not into that brevity thing... ) sticks a fohtay in your ribs and says "give it up bitch".

You take a half step back, and put your support hand up and say "Yo! Got my wallet right here!!" as you reach for your IWB in the same motion. Wouldn't you not want a loud "pop" noise from your holster at that specific part of the draw stroke?
    Completely irrelevant as by the time it "pops" you've started the draw stroke. You're either inside his reaction time at that point or you aren't, and an ambiguous audio clue is nothing. The visual clue is the prominent one. The brain likely isn't going to process the "pop" as a threat faster, or at all, compared to the visual danger clue of the beginnings of bringing a weapon into the fight.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Completely irrelevant as by the time it "pops" you've started the draw stroke. You're either inside his reaction time at that point or you aren't, and an ambiguous audio clue is nothing. The visual clue is the prominent one. The brain likely isn't going to process the "pop" as a threat faster, or at all, compared to the visual danger clue of the beginnings of bringing a weapon into the fight.
    However, if he’s focusing his attention on your significant other, friend etc. even with a good fast draw I don’t want my drawstroke to create anymore noise than it has to. (This isn’t to imply that you’re wrong, just giving an alternate scenario where in my mind it could matter)

I’m with @Totem Polar on this one, surreptitious access to weapons has always been something I’ve been concerned with since I started toting blades as a teenager.

I’d be curious to hear @SouthNarc ‘s take on this.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    However, if he’s focusing his attention on your significant other, friend etc. even with a good fast draw I don’t want my drawstroke to create anymore noise than it has to. (This isn’t to imply that you’re wrong, just giving an alternate scenario where in my mind it could matter)

I’m with @Totem Polar on this one, surreptitious access to weapons has always been something I’ve been concerned with since I started toting blades as a teenager.

I’d be curious to hear @SouthNarc ‘s take on this.
    It pops when the gun starts to move. If he's not keyed in on you at that point you're inside his OODA loop already and a tiny bit of noise isn't going to matter in the slightest. The brain just doesn't work that fast from an ambiguous audible clue.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    This being PF and all, I have no philosophical qualm about debating minutia.

But does anyone have a good amount of second or even third hand real world feedback that has shown the audible pop of kydex to matter?
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

I'm more concerned with not sounding like a saddled horse while I go to class/work or the grocery store.

User Tag List