Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Holster noise

Typically the gun should only be coming out for work. The holster "pop" is generally followed by a more significant loud Bang.

In some of the holsters I have or have owned that had the propensity to make noise the Kydex pop is significantly diminished or even non-existent in a slow controlled draw.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    This being PF and all, I have no philosophical qualm about debating minutia.

But does anyone have a good amount of second or even third hand real world feedback that has shown the audible pop of kydex to matter?
    It matters to people within the intel community and those working security details around the world.

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 36trap View Post
    It matters to people within the intel community and those working security details around the world.
    Cool, so let's hear about those experiences in which it makes a difference.

There's nothing Top Secret about sharing experience in regards to how much noise a holster makes--before anyone tries to throw that argument around.

FWIW, it could be relevant to undercover cops, too, which some members of the forum have been at one time or another.
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

There's nothing Top Secret about sharing experience in regards to how much noise a holster makes--before anyone tries to throw that argument around.

FWIW, it could be relevant to undercover cops, too, which some members of the forum have been at one time or another.
    Not my experiences to share or stories to tell.

I have plenty of old school RCS Phantoms and you can use your thumb on the sweat guard to "ease" your gun out of the holster with less noise. As others have said if you are going for speed it doesn't really matter as the gun rattles against the Kydex when drawn fast anyways. You can also use a heat gun to re-mold the Kydex to draw a bit smoother, carefully! That said I never hear much noise on the draw and have more issues with not enough retention.

I have carried Kydex working plainclothes for 15+ years and have desired a quieter draw many times, usually sneaking around outside a house in the dark. Going slow was always good enough.

My more cynical side wants to say you should have your basic draws, reloads, close contact, multiple targets, split times, tactics for various situations, and even re-holstering down before worrying about your draw noise... :-P

Dennis.

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I don't have any cool stories, but I note that Bill Rapier (Amtac Shooting and retired from DEVGRU) considers a covert draw to be an important skill. From his article "What is Most Important in Training"

8. Concealed “slow draw”

A concealed “slow draw” is getting a weapon into your hand without everyone knowing it. You may need to blade your body during the draw or shield part of your body from your threat.
    Regardless of what you have to do to get the gun in hand, it should look casual until the gun is in hand and it is time to go. Just remember that the slow draw is like a magic trick, it only works from a certain angle so make sure you are aware of all of your surroundings.
    Full article here: https://www.amtacshooting.com/what-i...20More%20items

ETA: Panone has a story about a covert draw he performed in Iraq. As I recall, he did not require silence as he was in a vehicle. He accessed the pistol covertly and achieved the desired degree of surprise when he presented it at close range. He did it weak hand too, so as not to move his hand off the steering wheel and telegraph the draw.
    Last edited by Mark D; 10-21-2020 at 09:40 PM.

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    I don't have any cool stories, but I note that Bill Rapier (Amtac Shooting and retired from DEVGRU) considers a covert draw to be an important skill. From his article "What is Most Important in Training"

Full article here: https://www.amtacshooting.com/what-i...20More%20items

ETA: Panone has a story about a covert draw he performed in Iraq. As I recall, he did not require silence as he was in a vehicle. He accessed the pistol covertly and achieved the desired degree of surprise when he presented it at close range. He did it weak hand too, so as not to move his hand off the steering wheel and telegraph the draw.
    I'll note that Rapier's concept of the concealed/covert slow draw as described there does not place any kind of emphasis on sound, though it does on movement and body mechanics to not look threatening. If he talks specifically of sound somewhere else, I am unaware of it, which is why I asked to see that sort of stuff.

The weak hand covert draw is something that Pannone covered in his Covert Carry class when I took it, explaining the real world rationale via experience, though it was pretty clear where the utility application of a one handed draw would come in the civ world when one is injured. The number of shooting videos from real world encounters where people are shooting one handed obviously validates that skill.

I stand by the contention that specifically focusing on the pop of kydex sounds (pun intended) theoretical for now. Not being a hater, I'd seriously welcome evidence to the contrary. I'm also curious what @SouthNarc has to say on the subject.
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I have plenty of old school RCS Phantoms and you can use your thumb on the sweat guard to "ease" your gun out of the holster with less noise.
    I've done this with my RCS Eidolon. It is something I know how to do and can do reliably. It is not something I consciously practiced or thought about.

Grasp the gun with your lower fingers, apply your thumb to the edge of the sweatguard, push down with your thumb.

The only time I ever drew a firearm with a plan to use it, nobody knew it but me since it turned out to be a stupid teenager pranking his convenience store cashier friend.
    Pocket draw to behind my leg, then right back in my pocket as the situation evolved.
    Since I was 10' or so away and partially behind a display, holster noise might or might not have made a difference (there was none since I had a quiet leather pocket holster).
    I do know something like a Raven Vanguard with it's loud ass "pop" and no way to easily reholster would have made things much more difficult.
    I personally factor subterfuge into my carry holster criteria.
    The ability to both draw and reholster without making any obvious aggressive movements or out of place noises can be just as much (or more IMO) of an advantage as shaving .25 off of your draw to hit time.
    Being able to sneak draw your gun into a covert ready position cuts down on pretty much all of the fumble potential inherent in a fast draw from concealment.
    Being able to sneak reholster means if the situation changes, you can change with it "no harm no foul".

Pretty much all my carry holsters these days are molded horsehide.
    Many of the advantages of kydex (thin, stiff, sweat resistant, slick draws) but also has the advantages of leather (quiet, molds to the body better, not as hot/sweaty and better retention against grabs while fighting).
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

User Tag List