Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Holster noise

Holster noise

I just received an RCS Phantom from a member here. It's a classic OWB Kydex "sandwich", seems very solid, great retention.

It's also....loud. The "pop" when the pistol breaks retention is much louder than my IWB holster. Makes sense when you look at it, but I'd never given it a thought.

Which got me thinking: is holster noise ever important? I suspect that in most cases it's not an issue, but I can imagine a few scenarios where the ability to draw silently would be useful.

I've never seen it discussed.
    Last edited by peterb; 10-14-2020 at 09:53 AM.

I use Aerospace 303 on the inside of my Blade Tech OWB holster, it slicks up the draw a bit, I think.

For my Miltch Rosen Upper Limit OWB, I bought some of their “Leather Lightning” product. It comes in a small bottle, and seemed to do a good job conditioning the leather as I broke it in on my gun (G19).

To date I’ve not used any product with my EDC holsters, JM CK IWB 3s/Dark Star Gear.

Interesting topic.

If you're drawing, you're not actually trying to be stealthy, no?
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    I just received an RCS Phantom from a member here. It's a classic OWB Kydex "sandwich", seems very solid, great retention.

It's also....loud. The "pop" when the pistol breaks retention is much louder than my IWB holster. Makes sense when you look at it, but I'd never given it a thought.

Which got me thinking: is holster noise ever important? I suspect that in most cases it's not an issue, but I can imagine a few scenarios where the ability to draw silently would be useful.

I've never seen it discussed.
    I think holster noise is not somthing thats worth spending the mental energy on. As a whole the chances of actually needing a gun for self defense are slim. Within that slim chance, the scenario where the noise of your holster actually comes into play are so remote you are doing yourself a disservice by taking that into consideration when choosing a good holster. Proper construction and form factor integration into your body type are far more impoimportant considerations.
    Come, mother, come! For terror is thy name, death is in thy breath, and every shaking step destroys a world for e'er. Thou 'time', the all-destroyer! Come, O mother, come!

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    If you're drawing, you're not actually trying to be stealthy, no?
    Under most circumstances...
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by snow white View Post
    I think holster noise is not somthing thats worth spending the mental energy on. As a whole the chances of actually needing a gun for self defense are slim. Within that slim chance, the scenario where the noise of your holster actually comes into play are so remote you are doing yourself a disservice by taking that into consideration when choosing a good holster. Proper construction and form factor integration into your body type are far more important considerations.
    Agreed. I'm not worried about it, just curious.

I suspect that armed professionals (undercover? executive protection?) might have more cause to consider it.

Didn't think you were worried, bad wording on my part. I assume there is a specialized profession that might take noise into consideration.
    Come, mother, come! For terror is thy name, death is in thy breath, and every shaking step destroys a world for e'er. Thou 'time', the all-destroyer! Come, O mother, come!

Ok, how about this?

Dude (I stress this does not refer to Our Esteemed Leader aka "the dude" or "his dudeness" or even "El Duderino" since I am not into that brevity thing... ) sticks a fohtay in your ribs and says "give it up bitch".

You take a half step back, and put your support hand up and say "Yo! Got my wallet right here!!" as you reach for your IWB in the same motion. Wouldn't you not want a loud "pop" noise from your holster at that specific part of the draw stroke?

I’ll be a contrarian and say that, unless your MO is always quick draw mcgraw, there is a time and place for being covert. I was taught at an early age how to one-hand open the Sypyderco lockback folding knives of the day without a tell, or noise from the rocker bar engaging, and that’s a lot more quiet than loud kydex.

The noise has always been my main beef with kydex. JMCK’s unusual asymetrical clamshell moulding around the trigger guard of his AIWB holsters seems to be about the quietest without going to something like Tucker’s leather lined “silent thunder” construction.

I freely admit the point about the likelihood of this actually being a life-or-death issue is Karen Carpenter-thin.

Still and all “covert” means “covert.” JMO. I’m no action guy though.

I remember reading one story where someone was being robbed with a group of people. He tried drawing surreptitiously which seemed to work since he was using a leather holster, but then believes he gave away his draw when disengaging the safety.

User Tag List