Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A reminder on Senator Blumenthal

A reminder on Senator Blumenthal

https://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/18/n...lumenthal.html

At a ceremony honoring veterans and senior citizens who sent presents to soldiers overseas, Attorney General Richard Blumenthal of Connecticut rose and spoke of an earlier time in his life.

“We have learned something important since the days that I served in Vietnam,” Mr. Blumenthal said to the group gathered in Norwalk in March 2008. “And you exemplify it. Whatever we think about the war, whatever we call it — Afghanistan or Iraq — we owe our military men and women unconditional support.”

There was one problem: Mr. Blumenthal, a Democrat now running for the United States Senate, never served in Vietnam. He obtained at least five military deferments from 1965 to 1970 and took repeated steps that enabled him to avoid going to war, according to records.

The deferments allowed Mr. Blumenthal to complete his studies at Harvard; pursue a graduate fellowship in England; serve as a special assistant to The Washington Post’s publisher, Katharine Graham; and ultimately take a job in the Nixon White House.
    In 1970, with his last deferment in jeopardy, he landed a coveted spot in the Marine Reserve, which virtually guaranteed that he would not be sent to Vietnam. He joined a unit in Washington that conducted drills and other exercises and focused on local projects, like fixing a campground and organizing a Toys for Tots drive.
    #RESIST

A hypocritical politician? That's like a unicorn or something!

Site Supporter
    Elite folks avoiding the draft. What a surprise. Could do a list of those from every political persuasion. That being said, I don't like him.

That NYT article was published 10 years ago. A lot of things have changed since. I can't imagine that NYT would publish any damaging information on any democrat today.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Elite folks avoiding the draft. What a surprise. Could do a list of those from every political persuasion. That being said, I don't like him.
    It's one thing to avoid a draft... it is another to avoid the draft, and then claim decades later that you fought in the war.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven_Sicks_Two View Post
    It's one thing to avoid a draft... it is another to avoid the draft, and then claim decades later that you fought in the war.
    I really don’t understand why that is so hard for people to understand.....

Site Supporter
    There is nothing worse than stolen valor.

I was drafted during Vietnam. So I am technically a Vietnam Vet.

But whenever the subject comes up, I always make sure that whoever I am talking to understands that I did not actually go to Vietnam, but was an Army medic stationed in the USA.

How can people continually vote for these types of politicians?
    With liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states.

Blumenthal is a disgrace. A walking talking excised colon polyp.

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Carter View Post

How can people continually vote for these types of politicians?
    Here in CT republicans stand little chance of winning. When the election does get close a "bag" of previously uncounted ballots gets found in Bridgeport.

At the congressional level the state in gerrymandered such that a republican never stands a chance.
    Last edited by JohnO; 10-16-2020 at 01:42 PM.

Dick Blumenthal was a member of Delta team six before Biden was calling Obama the first, clean black candidate.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Carter View Post
    I was drafted during Vietnam. So I am technically a Vietnam Vet.
    I'd use the term VN Era Vet to avoid misunderstandings.

User Tag List