Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: iPhone, iPad, iOS, Apple Watch thread

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    There are some on sale for prime day.
    Aaaaaand bought. Thanks for the heads up!

I went from Blackberry at work and home to Android at work and Windows Phone at home then I retired, kept the Windows phone studiously avoiding all thing Apple. Back to work and they gave me an iPhone 4S which was an okay phone but, meh... Work bought us iPad pro's and then the 4S finally died. New issued phone is a iPhone SE 2k. Enjoyed that so much that when I jumped away from AT&T/Cricket to Patriot Mobile, I bought an SE 2K of my own.

Just upgraded everything to ios 14 and... I'm all, "Dammmit! What did you do to my clock settings GUI!?!" I really loved my little rollers for setting time and the clickityclick haptic! I'm reeeelly, seriously pissed! I want my clicks back, Right NOW! If you see a grown man in a UTube screaming like a snowflake about, "clickityclicks" it may be me.

Seriously though, the new SE is a great phone and it's a more controlled atmosphere in AppleLand than the Wild Wild West of Android. Will always have a desktop Windoz machine and one or more laptops with Windows as I do some things with VBA, and Google Apps Script for work.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Quote Originally Posted by trailrunner View Post
    I've lived through FireWire (first version of iPod) and the dock connectors. On iPhones, why not microUSB? You say it's janky (whatever that means), but it seems to work just fine for all the other devices I have. And I think the first version of the iPhone used a dock connector - might be wrong on that but I've gone through two, if not three, different connectors since I got my first iPhone 10 years ago. My MacBook Pro uses USB-C, and I had to buy some cables and adapters for that. My travel bag is full of a tangle of cables, and I have a drawer that's a museum to cables. I can't believe that after all of these years, we can't perfect the connection and settle on one standard for all devices. To me it seems like Apple wants to be different than everyone else so that they can make money off of cables.
    Apple's used only two connectors on the iPhone, the 40 pin Hirose and the lightning. They skipped microUSB while developing lightning; mUSB has very fine pins and is unidirectional; lightning has big friggin' pins, is inverse (the fussy part is tucked inside the phone rather than hanging on the end of the cable), and is bidrectional.

There was a theory, which at least half of Apple believed, that they could control the quality of the charge interface better by using and licensing a proprietary connector. I don't know how effective that's been, or how effective they've been in collecting fees. So I get the it's-just-a-cash-grab thing, but the lightning is genuinely a better connector than microUSB.

USB-C is pretty cool. I am an *Enormous* fan of the magsafe (pogo pin) connector that has been the power connection on macbooks for more than a decade now, but C is good enough and the universality is worth the compromise.

For ear buds, I recently bought a set of the PowerBeats Pro and am really impressed. These came recommended from a friend who is an Apple enthusiast and had purchased a set of Air Pod Pros. He was disappointed with them and said he wished he went with the PowerBeat Pros. They are owned by Apple also.

I put off Apple products for years as I felt it was all Kool-Aid. After multiple Windows PC’s bit the dust as well as Android phones, I finally decided to dip my toe in the water. At the same time I was issued a Windows phone for work so I got to learn both coming from Android. I also bought my wife the new Galaxy S6 which boasted better camera specs and she liked the display better than the Apple. It shit the bed in 7 months and the manufacturer as well as local cell phone company refused to replace it. Instead they offered to refurbish it but we had to pay shipping and she would not get a loaner phone until it came back. We politely told them to kiss our ass and took our business to one of the big four companies. Without going into too much more tirade, I really like the durability of Apple hardware and seem-less upgrades of software. My Apple products (iPhone 6s, iPad Mini, and iPhone 7 Plus) have all held up with the abuse of 4 children and keep ticking. The Mini is tapped out on specs as it’s a first generation but it plays most games my 4 year old loves. It’s a little slow and screen is cracked but still turns on everyday and holds a decent charge. My androids not so much and I am on my 4th Windows Laptop in the last decade to which the proverbial clock has seemed to have started ticking. My next purchase will be one of the new iPads with the A14 chip to see if I can do a full laptop replacement. My only complaint for Apple and the reason we have continued to buy some Android products for the kiddos since sipping the Apple kool-aid is cost, or should I say replacement cost. But you get what you pay for. Buy it cheap = buy it twice (or more). Better to buy once, cry once.

FWIW, I always found the microUSB to be very fragile and it wa the first thing to start giving trouble on my Androids. I prefer Lighting 10x over microUSB. New job issues Galaxy S8 with USB-C which I like equally as well as lightning.

The wife wants a new Apple Watch. Should I shop for a 5,6 or SE?
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

The biggest change I noticed when I went all Mac, iMac, iPad, iPhone, Apple TV is that I no longer do home network configuration and troubleshooting. When we had a couple windows machines in the house every six months or so I had an issue where things would no longer work, such as the printer or networking or file sharing, and I would have to troubleshoot and or reinstall software. In the Apple environment, I no longer do that. My biggest troubleshooting technique is to ask when the last time that product was rebooted. The answer is usually one to several months. Magically, a reboot fixes the problem.

Thus my troubleshooting days are minimal. This is with three desktop computers, one laptop, four iPads, and three iPhones. Plus printers, USB storage, AppleTV, routers, WiFi, smart TVs, media storage, music servers and more.

I agree on the longevity of Apple products. Our iMac and Mac pro are 11 years old. Upgraded with SSDs, but otherwise original. Phones tend to go on a four-year replacement cycle. They cost more upfront, but last longer and give fewer frustrations.

I don’t like iTunes, nor its lack of FLAC music file support, but I have work-arounds for that. I do hi-res music, and apple does not speak that language.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

I sure love the shit out of my iPhone. Used to be a long time android user but once it came time to retire my Samsung galaxy S4 about 6 years ago, I was originally going to skip the five and upgrade directly to the new Samsung galaxy S6 when it came out but since the girls at the AT&T store started telling me that Samsung was thinking about going in the way of Apple and only making their apps specifically for Samsung phones that had to be downloaded from Samsung‘s App Store- pretty much taking as much of Google out of their phones as they could, I figured maybe it would be better to just not take that chance and try an iPhone because Apple’s already got their shit together with all their apps and stuff so since they had just come out with the Apple iPhone 6 that was actually as large as any other smartphone on the market and wasn’t one of those tiny iPhone 5’s and below, the iPhone 6 plus with the 64 gig hard drive was my very first iPhone.

Didn’t take me long before I was hooked after I learned how to use it. Now I have an iPhone 11 Pro Max, 256 gig hard drive and I’ve also accumulated an Apple Watch 3, 10.5 inch iPad Pro and my new MacBook Pro 16 inch. Apple products just work. They may be expensive as hell, but at least a lot of that high price you paid, it’s for quality. So far the only thing I’ve ever had anything wrong with any of my Apple products was my iPhone 8 plus. I tried to keep that phone for a lot longer than I did because it was the iPhones ever to still have the home button but once the vibrator inside the phone started acting up, I no longer had that haptic feedback when you pressed the home button so that’s when it was just time to upgrade.

Oh and besides probably needing a new battery, I still have my original series 7 I think it is 160-gig iPod classic that still works. I no longer use it anymore because all of my iPhones over the years have had enough hard drive space to keep all of my nearly 10,000 songs at bay but I still do have it...LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I noticed the latest iPhone incorporated a LIDAR. I am familiar LIDARs (spent a bit of taxpayer money building one) and they can be a bit complex. The also take a fair amount of computational power. I'm a little skeptical that it's a true LIDAR system, and I need to look into this some more and look at the specs, but that's still impressive for something you can hold in your hand.

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    The wife wants a new Apple Watch. Should I shop for a 5,6 or SE?
    Depends what features she wants. I got my daughter a 3 and its a good watch. Wifes a RN and she wanted the one that monitors heart. Newer ones have all kinds of stuff you can even have one and no phone. Waterproof etc etc
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Depends what features she wants. I got my daughter a 3 and its a good watch. Wifes a RN and she wanted the one that monitors heart. Newer ones have all kinds of stuff you can even have one and no phone. Waterproof etc etc
    My daughter has bought all her own Apple stuff: iPad Pro (huge size for producing digital art), iPhone 7, and heart monitor Apple Watch. She has some heart issues; this was the easy button for her to have a monitor on herself all the time.

User Tag List