Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: iPhone, iPad, iOS, Apple Watch thread

I still have a 7 and the wheels are coming off. The 12 was the plan but I'm a little worried about the magsafe wireless charging feature magnetizing some of my watches. It's already happened once to my Sinn while setting up an iPad Pro for my mother. Easy enough to demagnetize but it's not much of an upgrade if I have to do it all the time.

I'm on a 2020 SE and an Ipad, my wife is on an 11, a MacBook air, and an Ipad PRO, my 7yo has an ipad mini and is issued an ipad at school. With the car integration too, it's hard not to be an Apple user

With two young children, I’m a sucker for upgraded cameras on my phone. I’ll most likely give my wife my 11 Pro Max and upgrade to the 12 Pro Max.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I do have a related question on wireless headphones. Right now I use a corded Bose set in the gym. I like the silicone ear pieces but the wire gets in the way sometimes. Is there a reliable (meaning no drop outs of audio) “go to” pair of BT ear phones that folks suggest these days? The Apple ear inserts never worked for me, I find the plastic too hard and uncomfortable.
    BT is pretty reliable nowadays. Earlier this year I bought some After Shocks (or whatever clever way they spell it) for running, and I'm pretty happy with them. They are bone conduction rather than in-ear, and I like this for several reasons. One is that they don't fall out of my ear. The other is that I can still listen to outside noises. I also like the behind-the-ear style. Only downside is that they are a little expensive (>$100). I bought my wife a pair for her daily walks, and she really likes them too.

https://us.aftershokz.com

If you want the more traditional earbuds, there are lots of brands on Amazon that have worked for me for casual use. Some have a shark fin rubber thingy in different sizes, and some will have a loop to fit over your ear. I have never ever been able to get the Apple ear buds to stay in my ears, but some of the 3rd party buds work OK.

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    The biggest advantage of Apple products for me are the longevity of their products, the stability of their OS, and their cross device compatibility. Everything works together seamlessly. I also believe their cloud services are second to none. I can work on a project on one device and not worry about being able to access it on another device.
    Agreed. My last MacBook lasted seven years and really didn't show much sign of age. My iPhone is three or four years old now and still works fine. I don't even know what model it is (7 maybe?). I don't have much urge to upgrade.

I also have a lot of Apple products. The place I started working at in 1991 was all Mac, so I switched then. My wife and I each have a MacBook, iPad, and iPhone. My wife has an Apple watch and likes it a lot. I also have a couple of Apple TVs but they are probably overkill for our simple TV needs and probably won't buy any more.

I'm not an evangelist, but the stuff works and provides good value (IMO). My only complaint is when they change the d@mn connector every couple of years and I have to buy a bunch of new cables. I've never ever understood that.

I bought my first mac computer in ‘87 (an SE/20) and have had at least one around since that time. A number of PC desktops and laptops came and went as well. Anyone remember the Toshiba T3100e? Used to run XyWrite as my word processor on it. I gave up on Windows completely about 12 years ago. I’ve found macs much longer lived than PCs. I really like the iPad. I got my first one not knowing what I was going to do with it. Now, it is my most used computing device. My MacBook Pros don’t get much use anymore. I used to lug a MacBook Pro around when traveling, now I just take the iPad. I upgrade to the latest top end iPad as soon as a new one is released. Still using an iPhone 8, but thinking of upgrading to to a iPhone 12 primarily for the upgraded camera. Initially I went with Android smart phones, but after several bouts of software wonkiness with a couple of them, I switched to iPhone 5 and have been haven’t looked back. I’ve had the iPhone 5, a 6s and an 8 now for several years. None has given me any trouble.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

right-sizing toward the good stuff

Phone: Have gone from the old SE to the new one. Night and day, no brainer... since my eyes were really starting to struggle with the old SE.

PC: Currently missing my old iMac, which given how long I had it, was the cheapest computer I've ever owned. I'll be replacing the current chromebook with a macbook air when the current chromebook dies. Otherwise, the iPad and iPad mini with cell continue to serve well.

Heavy Lift: The current VM server will probably be replaced by azure or aws instances when it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Not cheap, but check out the AirPod pros. They are designed to be noise canceling and so have a rubber tip that fits in the ear instead of the apple plastic.

Another option that I use with my non-pro AirPods is aftermarket silicone sleeves that fit over the earpiece but still allow the AirPod to fit in the charging case.
    There are some on sale for prime day.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by trailrunner View Post
    ). My only complaint is when they change the d@mn connector every couple of years and I have to buy a bunch of new cables. I've never ever understood that.
    Impossible to waterproof the old Hirose 40 pin connector. Expensive to waterproof the headphone jack, and they are a warranty issue in the best of cases. A lightning-only iPhone is a lot tougher. The someday iPhone that will be wireless charge only and Bluetooth only will be pretty bulletproof.

Remember that from jump street everybody had a proprietary connector. The Koreans went to microUSB which is/was janky. Apple waited it out, sticking with the sucky Hirose until they came up with lightning, which as a connector guy looks like a good call to me.

I would have liked for them to go blind mate but it’s expensive to do well.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Impossible to waterproof the old Hirose 40 pin connector. Expensive to waterproof the headphone jack, and they are a warranty issue in the best of cases. A lightning-only iPhone is a lot tougher. The someday iPhone that will be wireless charge only and Bluetooth only will be pretty bulletproof.

Remember that from jump street everybody had a proprietary connector. The Koreans went to microUSB which is/was janky. Apple waited it out, sticking with the sucky Hirose until they came up with lightning, which as a connector guy looks like a good call to me.

I would have liked for them to go blind mate but it’s expensive to do well.
    I've lived through FireWire (first version of iPod) and the dock connectors. On iPhones, why not microUSB? You say it's janky (whatever that means), but it seems to work just fine for all the other devices I have. And I think the first version of the iPhone used a dock connector - might be wrong on that but I've gone through two, if not three, different connectors since I got my first iPhone 10 years ago. My MacBook Pro uses USB-C, and I had to buy some cables and adapters for that. My travel bag is full of a tangle of cables, and I have a drawer that's a museum to cables. I can't believe that after all of these years, we can't perfect the connection and settle on one standard for all devices. To me it seems like Apple wants to be different than everyone else so that they can make money off of cables.

the USB-C on the ipad Pro is a really nice, sturdy-feeling connector.

User Tag List